[Development]Epic Adventures in Wildmana (civ specific victory condition)

Sephi

Deity
"Men are haunted by the vastness of eternity. And so we ask ourselves: will our actions echo across the centuries?
Will strangers hear our names long after we are gone, and wonder who we were, how bravely we fought, how fiercely we loved?"
(Odysseus)

Epic Adventures are new ways to win the game. The Idea is to add more interesting victory conditions to the mod and give an incentive to play by the lore without forcing the player. You can still win an AV domination victory with the Elohim. But you can now also win by gaining a very high purity counter, training a lot of Monks and using the pacifism civic for a long time. Sheaim may win by bringing Armageddon to the world while the Bannor win by sucessfully crusading against evil civs. I have added some screenshots with examples (still subject to change)

This thread is mostly to get some interesting ideas for each Civ. So post if you think it could be interesting to win with a civ in this or that way. I have already ideas/code for about half of the nearly 30 civs but more ideas can never hurt.

The new adventure system will definetly also be used for some other wonderful things in the future ;).

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0051.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0051.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 697
  • Civ4ScreenShot0049.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0049.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 604
  • Civ4ScreenShot0050.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0050.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 574
very very awesome indeed :)

Although i would change the name of those new victory conditions. Epic adventures (the adventures part) does not really seem to fit imho.

Suggestion:
I know that the word epic is used in todays language almost only as an adjective, but it is really a noun (a form of ancient greek poetry). So why not just call it: "fulfill destined epic" or "achieve providence" or "fulfill the blessings of providence"?

Edit: Manifest Destiny ? I know this term has an actual context in the US, but it would coin the victory condition even better imho.

I am not a native english speaker, so i might be totally wrong here.

An other suggestion: Some victory conditions are worth pursuing, even when disabled a good example is the altar of luonnotar, it is always worth building. The new victory condition "Omnipotence" is also worth pursuing even when disabled, since you have a very powerful mage. So my suggestion would be that there are gradual boni that are granted when you get close to perform this type of victory. (An example opposite of this would be the tower of mastery, if you do not play with this option it is never worth building)

So post if you think it could be interesting to win with a civ in this or that way. I have already ideas/code for about half of the nearly 30 civs but more ideas can never hurt.

For what civilizations do you need the most input?

So my suggestion would be that there are gradual boni that are granted when you get close to perform this type of victory.

I saw in your screenshots that there are three categories per civilization (i don't know if this number is intended, i assume it is). Some examples:
Arcane Unleashed: Every mana node provides two instead of one point of mana.
Govannons Legacy: All units gain the promotion channeling I
Spell research: The percentage of gaining xp per turn is doubled for all arcane units.

As always i am just spamming ideas, fell free to take or reject what ever you like.

tesb has a good point with adding benefits to perusing a victory condition even when it is disabled

(with most civs i end up with a lv 3 or 4 alter of luonnotar even when this victory condition is disabled)

even if these are not added in as victory conditions they could be lots of fun to do just for some added benefit for accomplishing them anyway.

balseraph players that create an especially abundant number of carnivals could gain a permanent civ wide happiness bonus.
After destroying there first evil civ a bannor player could gain the Aggressive trait.
An Amurite player that builds a node of every mana type could give there battlemage's and planeshifter's an additional aptitude.

wile it would be difficult to balance the goals of each civ with any other (let alone program the AI to accomplish them when it was reasonable) if done right it could end up as more fun than several barrels of particularly whimsical monkeys.

Suggestion:
I know that the word epic is used in todays language almost only as an adjective, but it is really a noun (a form of ancient greek poetry). So why not just call it: "fulfill destined epic" or "achieve providence" or "fulfill the blessings of providence"?
Call it Epic Epiphany! So epically, epic.

:thumbsup: I've always wanted something like this.

The screen shots gave me some ideas for the Scions:

Uncreation: X% of land covered with Haunted Lands.

Interesting progressive benefits are possible: Reborn start showing up spontaneously. (Maybe out there in the wilds.) Other civs sometimes pop a Scion Reborn rather than grow a city by 1. Units in other civs are sometimes Undead rather than the civ's race.

Angel of Good Intentions: Risen Emperor reaches level X and creates X Revenants.

Pax Patria: X turns of peace, high commerce or trades-for-gold. Maybe high culture and good diplomatic relationships. But "high culture" should come more or less automatically, and high commerce (hopefully) requires good relationships.

Or something - I'm not sure just how to measure "soft power". (Something to do with Melante (the Artful Governor) and/or Pelemoc Goldtongue? Maybe increase the cost of "Emperor's Claim" and require X cast or present in the world?)

yeah I've been waiting for something like this for a long time :D

so let's see...

Bannor: use Recruit with Donal X times

Elohim: reach X on the purity counter

Mercurians: kill X demons

Kuriotates: getting your megacities to X population

Malakim: reach X% diffusion of Empyrean

Luchuirp: get Barnaxus to level X

Ljosalfar: bloom X% of the land

Khazad: reach X gold per city

Lanun: get X gold via blockading

Hippus: Pillage X gold

Amurites: get X different spheres of magic for Govannon

Grigori: Enlighten X cities

Sidar: create X wanes

Balseraphs: get a mimic with X promotions

Calabim: get X vampires to level Y

Doviello: get X animal totem promotions on Lucian

Illians: X% of the world to ice

Infernals: X% of the world to hell

Sheaim: reach X on the AC

Clan: convert X barbarian cities with Rantine

Svartalfar: Kidnap X GPs

wow that's a lot harder than I thought O.o

Nice idea, Sephi. More variation is always nice, provided that it is still balanced. I know this is all just in the planning stages, but the examples you gave seem much, much easier to achieve as opposed to a standard victory. Some of the conditions you set seem trivial (casting 1000 spells, killing 150 units) and really require no extra effort on the part of the player.

Things like ''cast x number of spells'' and ''use recruit x times'' are going to be really tedious and lame. Otherwise a great idea though.

Things like ''cast x number of spells'' and ''use recruit x times'' are going to be really tedious and lame

Only if the requires numbers are too high. It needs a bit of testing, but it is very well possible that they just go with the game naturally i.e. if you play like you would normally you should be able to fulfill the requirements.

Things like ''cast x number of spells'' and ''use recruit x times'' are going to be really tedious and lame. Otherwise a great idea though.

Or else they'll be effortless and lame, thanks to auto-spellcasting. Consider a single adept who sits in a city casting Haste but going nowhere for 300 turns. Now you're a third of the way there.

Obviously a really cool idea though, if the conditions are well balanced and challenging.

What a neat series of ideas.

I wonder if the Ljos could have a "destroy or vassalize the Svarts", and the Svarts "destroy or vassalize the Ljos", to serve the theme of uniting the Summer and Winter courts? Understand that a game which had only one elven race and not the other couldn't achieve this condition, but hey, I'm thinking Splintered Court type scenario here.

Sidar: Manage to keep every other civ's (including barb) cities X tiles away from your ONLY city (only one city allowed) for Y turns - i.e. within a radius of X tiles, noone should be able to gain ground enough to settle a city for Y turns.

I don't particularly care for the score wins.

Except Sheaim's 100 AC win. But then all kinds of chaos should break out, and the player feel compelled to keep playing, to destroy the world in the next 20 turn. Kind of like summoning Godzilla in SimCity just for the chaos.

I guess what I am saying, is It would be neater if the victories did something drastic. I don't know FFH lore, but for instance, the Elohim victory might banish all demons, and make all demon summoning impossible.

Illian victory would consist of summoning Mulcurn, but perhaps put in some global cooling, and have it speed up in steps along the way.

Of course, Sheaim and Illians already kind of have unique victories, even if not technically.

I dunno, all that is probably too much work, but I always turn off cultural victory and turn victory because I don't like score victories.

I think I am pretty much just saying what has already been said, it would be neater if as you progressed towards your civs unique victory, it would acquire special abilities.

I will also add, it would be cool if other-other aligned civs would become more and more agitated with diplomatic modifiers. IE good and neutral civs would get angrier and angrier against the Sheaim as it continues to get closer to victory, while good and evil civs would get angry at neutrals attaining power. Or maybe forget the alignments, and just have it be any civ going towards their unique victory will piss off the the rest of them.

I imagine a Sidar victory being researching a unique tech that moves all the empire into the ghost plane. All units become immortal, invisible and blurred, and all improvements become impervious to destruction (or maybe could only be pillaged with dispel magic). (if possible) It would also be cool, but probably engine breaking, if all improvements and units turned 50% alpha. :p

This tech would require two or three pre-requisists, the first giving all units blur, the second giving all units a one time invisibility, and the third giving victory. The first costing future tech, the second future tech X 2, and the third, future tech X 4. Also if possible, make it required to have 3 shadow mana to research the first, 5 for the second, and 8 for the third.

One other thing: Please make any victory require at least 3 steps, so the world can get a warning as each step is completed. I just remember one game being smashed by a sudden cultural victory win.

Hippus: control every horse resource and own Guild of the Nine

Falamar (can you do individual leaders?): Vassalize every female leader

Os-Gaballa: Destroy every male leader

Calabim: Make a level XXX Vampire lord (100? 500? How high do the levels go?)

Doviello: Win 10,000 battles (maybe too high?)

Kazahd: Amass 100,000 gold

Sidar: Kill every (national) hero with the Nether Blade

Top Bottom