[Development]Exploring animal lairs

Sephi

Deity
Right now animal lairs are simply removed when the beast living there is defeated. Some ideas to spice things up.

So far:
exploring an animal lair gives a small amount of cash (increases with every hunter guild)

stag lair: chance that deer resource is discovered
gorilla lair: chance that banana resource is discovered
Werewolf castle: turned into ruins or dungeon
Giant Fortress: turned into ruins or dungeon

all lairs:
small chance to rescue a hunter in need
small chance to rescue an adept who got lost
haunting spirits: small chance to loose some experience
or get a spirit guide
Event: found the dead body of a famous Hero

Feel free to post similar ideas here

How about the Werewolf castle and Giant Fortresses also have a chance to turn into a dungeon to explore as well as ruins? Would make sense I'd have thought.

[to_xp]Gekko;8561915 said:
cool ideas, but most of all they should be explorable like in Orbis ;)
You could combine the two, so that some exploration results would only happen if you explored a certain kind of animal lair.

[to_xp]Gekko;8561915 said:
cool ideas, but most of all they should be explorable like in Orbis ;)

I would prefer a chance for some of them to turn into lairs, and for lairs to be created throughout the game in unsettled territory. If they are all explorable (and they were being created throughout the game), there could become too many for balance. Some of the perks for exploring a dungeon are really, really good! :p

Hmmm - a thought. If lairs are created throughout the game, and if they/(some of them) are explorable, how about a dungeon exploring promo that makes bad things less likely to happen? Maybe they get immunity from gaining crazed/withered/etc. and a lesser chance to disturb barbs? Call it 'Treasure Hunter', and maybe have Bounty Hunter be a pre req?

I know Sephi's made it less likely for bad things to happen to high level units, but I think I might like the promo idea more... :)

[to_xp]Gekko;8562168 said:
you're thinking of the Adventurer promo from FF/Orbis, which does exactly that ;)

No I'm not - I've not played either... :p

wolf lair: gain some gold if city close by has a hunter guild

In AoI, Wolves could be sacrificed to build Kennels, which gave a slight defensive bonus. The artwork and XML should be easily redeemable from Age of Ice. Optionally, you could allow the Doviello to breed wolves with their Kennels.

With the notion that an animal lair is guarded by a buffed animal...

Griffon/Hippogriff aerie: Victorious unit promoted to Demi-Hero (auto promote to 50).
Sea Serpant cavern: Victorious unit promoted to Demi-Hero

How about the CIty of a Thousand Slums wonder spawning Giant Rats in the city square.

Spotted a MASSIVE, reproducable and fatal bug with this. Check the beta bugs.

You could combine the two, so that some exploration results would only happen if you explored a certain kind of animal lair.
Do you have something specific in mind? I looked through the explore barbarian lair events and didn't find anything that really fits to animals.

@Valkrionn common Animals are spawned mostly from lairs.

edit:updated the first post

How about being able to slaughter captured elk? :) (Ability allowed with a Smokehouse in city, gives a small amount of food to city, killing the elk.)

Don't forget disease (rabies?), insect bites, and physical damage from animals.

I think these are possible, since the "glowing portal" dungeon result has options.

"you have discovered the bodies of some hunters"
  • leave them be (nothing)
  • investigate (75% chance of 1 happiness in [nearest city] (You found our lost hunters, now their spirits may rest!) 25% chance of lose 1 xp (The people of [nearest city] claims it is your fault the hunters were killed!)

The ghosts of many [animal]s inhabit this lair
  • leave them in peace (nothing)
  • Search around (25% chance enervation (the animal spirits haunts your dreams!) 25% chance unit healed (you find a stash of edible food) 25% chance of gold amount (you find treasures of past explorers) 25% chance of nothing (there is nothing here but leaves and twigs)
  • ask the animals for guidance (requires animal handling promotion)
    50% chance enervation (the animal spirits reject the cruel way you enslaved their kin!) 35% chance spirit guide (an animal spirit agrees to guide you in all things). 15% chance you gain a promotion (an animal agrees to becomes your spirit guide!*).

*A bear lair would give something like +1 attack str, a spider lair perhaps would give stealth or poison resistance, etc.

yeah, events are possible. Put one in now. Promotions depending on the type of animal sound interesting.

Also, what did you have to do to make the animals fight the Orcs?

in initdiplomatics have animals declare war on barbs. Make sure that they do not spawn on the same tile. Most important is some rebalancing. Or else you might end up with Combat V Lizardmen and no animals around ;)

Top Bottom