Development Thread

I have good news and bad news.

Good News: The GP Mod is pretty clear in what it does and how it does it. It will be cake to port to BtS.

Bad News: It has two files in common with BUG. One I can possibly work around (CvCustomEventManager) with some tricky initialization code. The other -- CvScreensInterface -- might be tougher.

I can run a test to see if the changes GPM has in that file need to be in that file in particular or can be in any file. Given the trouble I had moving the Options Screen handling code to its own file, I'd bet $10 I won't be able to extract it.

The easiest way to make this happen would be to build some of the functionality into BUG, but it wouldn't become operational unless you also installed BAT on top of it. BUG would have the Python code (small) while BAT would have the artwork and quotes (200MB I think someone said). I don't like that this makes BAT require BUG.

Another similar option would be to do the above but put the artwork into its own separate mod. Thus BAT wouldn't be required -- just BUG and this third "artpack" mod. Yes, I know. This is sounding rather complex.

What do you guys think about these options?

I have good news and bad news.

Good News: The GP Mod is pretty clear in what it does and how it does it. It will be cake to port to BtS.

Bad News: It has two files in common with BUG. One I can possibly work around (CvCustomEventManager) with some tricky initialization code. The other -- CvScreensInterface -- might be tougher.

I can run a test to see if the changes GPM has in that file need to be in that file in particular or can be in any file. Given the trouble I had moving the Options Screen handling code to its own file, I'd bet $10 I won't be able to extract it.

The easiest way to make this happen would be to build some of the functionality into BUG, but it wouldn't become operational unless you also installed BAT on top of it. BUG would have the Python code (small) while BAT would have the artwork and quotes (200MB I think someone said). I don't like that this makes BAT require BUG.

Another similar option would be to do the above but put the artwork into its own separate mod. Thus BAT wouldn't be required -- just BUG and this third "artpack" mod. Yes, I know. This is sounding rather complex.

What do you guys think about these options?

My idea is to "build some of the functionality into BUG, but it wouldn't become operational unless you also installed BAT on top of it. BUG would have the Python code (small) while BAT would have the artwork and quotes (200MB I think someone said)", and to prevent BAT from requiring BUG, release also a simple zip with the 2 files required (or only one if you manage) to make it work in BAT without BUG. We can't include these 2 files directly in BAT, because doing so people can't install BAT over BUG, which is the common way of installing them.

So:
if people use only BUG, they have some py lines not utilized, no problem,
if people use both BUG and BAT, everything is ok,
if people use only BAT (very few of them, I think) they don't need BUG, but only have to download the zip.

IMHO this solution will be simple enough (if explained in readme and home page)

Fixed the typo. :blush::blush:

That was the first animated bat that was close to the size I needed that I found. If you can find another animated one that can be shrunk instead of having to be expanded, I'll gladly swap it out.

No, I like a lot the animated bat in the home page.
But I don't like so much the static image in the BAT page, this is why I provided you that other bat :)
The bat picture in the BAT page can be different from the animated bat in the home page, because the bug picture in the BUG page is different from the animated BUG in the home page.

To prevent BAT from requiring BUG, release also a simple zip with the 2 files required (or only one if you manage) to make it work in BAT without BUG.

It would be about five extra files (there are complete dupes between the two), but the same applies. This would work, and hopefully it won't be too much of a nightmare having yet another release. Of course, the ZIP could be packaged inside the BAT ZIP.

Where can I get the rest of the mod (artwork and quotes)? I only have the Python code. Is it in SVN already?

It would be about five extra files (there are complete dupes between the two), but the same applies. This would work, and hopefully it won't be too much of a nightmare having yet another release. Of course, the ZIP could be packaged inside the BAT ZIP.

Yes, but of course as a separate zip.

Where can I get the rest of the mod (artwork and quotes)? I only have the Python code. Is it in SVN already?

Yes :)

Suggestion: Does python know how long until the whip / draft anger leaves a city? If so, how about we put little numbers on the city screen just near the whip (or near the angry total middle top) that display that number. As the turns go by, that number would count down from 10 (normal speed) to 1 and then disappear.

Edit: Moved to feature request. Don't reply to this comment, instead reply to this one

Alright, I think EF is sleeping so don't think there will be any major changes to the code.:p Ruff, you better not do anything for the next hour or so!

Putting out BUG 2.10. Expect an update in the next hour.

EF - Don't worry, I won't forget about updating the files with the current version number.:p

umm - there are some changes to CDA that I need to back out

yes - current SC used for the RB doc are under the RB folder. I will post all SCs in the screenshot thread.

Hey guys, I'm back in town, but really jet lagged. going to take a look at what's been going on, but probably won't reply to anything. What's the status of BAT?

Welcome back! It's been very quiet. I even played a game this weekend and avoided all coding.

I put a couple bug reports and features into SF as they came up, and last weekend I added a "Refuses to talk" icon to the scoreboard only to find that the Python function canContact() isn't the same thing. :confused: Thwarted by Civ4 again -- that info isn't available in Python.

Getting something totally built only to find that it can't work is a bit disheartening. :cry: I hate rolling back changes like that, but I'll get over it.

Ok, I am very happy to have come across this mod. I was a big follower of the Sevomod project from its beginning a few years back. Although things got extremely out of hand and the "unaltered" part eventually became extremely altered so that the game was imbalanced and imho hardly playable.

I do believe that will not happen here. You seem to refuse anything that changes the game mechanics. Instead you focus on improving interface, options other additional addins. Although this is already covered in the other thread, I don't want to sound redundant. Still, I will continue to hope this is one of the better mods and that more people will be interested in it. I will post and recommend it more to other people I come across.

I did recommend 12 monkey's plot list in the sourceforge. I hope that is ok. I don't know if you were against adding in someone elses ideas unless they were part of the project themselves. Just wanted to bring that up, thanks.:)

Alerum: Do you do any of the coding with emperor now or later on?

Thanks for the feedback, ecc. I intend to maintain the unaltered gameplay aspect as we add new features. That being said, in case any other mod authors are reading this, I am not against altered gameplay at all. Feel free to include BUG in your mods as others have done already.

Ruff_Hi put some of 12monkey's PLE into BUG already (action tags and promotion highlighting), and we may add more later. It's a very complex mod and requires changing the main interface file which already has a lot of other changes. Also, BtS change the same area of code as PLE, and that makes integrating it more difficult. Are there any features of PLE you like most?

Ruff_Hi put some of 12monkey's PLE into BUG already (action tags and promotion highlighting), and we may add more later. It's a very complex mod and requires changing the main interface file which already has a lot of other changes. Also, BtS change the same area of code as PLE, and that makes integrating it more difficult. Are there any features of PLE you like most?

Yes, thanks for this. I remember the PLE add-in to old Sevomod.The information is under "plot list button" . I don't know how much of that was altered specifically for sevomod but I know some was.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=188184

I was hoping for the enhancements I had gotten use to before. ---->"scrolling row, stacking row, column by group, row by group". Its something that takes a bit to get used to . But it made for a much improved and efficient unit selection and organization. Is this possible where the mod stands now?

The requests page lists a lot for the 30th of last month. Were most of those put into the 31st release or are some still in queue? I wasn't sure if BAT has the same included "request for diplomacy text" . So I went ahead and linked and added it to the request page. Is there any plans on concentrating just on combined BATTy and doing away with separate BUG/BAT? I apologize if this has already been asked.

-ecc

Is there any plans on concentrating just on combined BATTy and doing away with separate BUG/BAT? I apologize if this has already been asked.

-ecc

Personally I only want to use BUG so I would prefer them to stay separate.

BUG and BAT will remain separate. That's why we changed the name from FBUG to BAT (to make it clearer). They have vastly different missions, so it makes sense to keep them distinct. As well, changes to BUG would require downloading and installing a whole new BAT if they were combined, and BAT is huge in comparison.

As for PLE, I also would like to see the different presentations and filtering buttons added. Given enough time, I'll eventually get to it I'm sure. :) I've just been quite busy, and it's very complex code so I can't integrate it in a single sitting or weekend. Any time I have to put a change on the back burner, it becomes much harder to finish.

This happened with my Whip Assist tool. I have the code to compute when it is optimal to whip, but it's been a while since I wrote it. Now I need to find the time to put the bar onto the city screen to present the information, but the code I wrote is already looking rather foreign. :( Thus, I've been focusing on quick features I can do in a day.

Top Bottom