DG3 Info Gathering - Demogame Rules

What rules should we bring over for DG3?

• Bring over everything (CON, COL, COS)

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Bring over some (CON, COL)

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Bring over the basics (CON)

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Start completely fresh

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaitan

der Besucher
This is an informational poll for Demogame III (DG3). We will allow the info polls to remain up for several days so we have a basis for discussion of what particulars to use in DG3.

This particular poll is for the demogame rules. Should we use essentially the same ruleset? Take the higher books? Abandon it all and start over? Note that no matter what option we select here there will be some work to do to clean up/repair outstanding issues.

bring everything over but add some new aspects to the game.. like I suggested. A thievs guild that allows stealing (no, it wont be chaos, read the suggestion in the forum)...

I suggest everyone consider the participation level of the demogame before voting in this poll. The demo game rules are very complex which is not condusive to bringing in and retaining new players. Add that to the old players who gave up out of sheer frustration and you have a recipe for declining demogame participation. Sure, a new game will attract interest at first but carrying over all the rules will basically lead to the same situation that exists in DG2. My suggestion is to start with only a constitution. Use the current constitution as a basis and try something new. Remember the game is about splitting up the Civ 3 game play. Use the constitution as a basis for that and then construct additional rules and/or laws as the game progresses.

Originally posted by donsig
I suggest everyone consider the participation level of the demogame before voting in this poll. The demo game rules are very complex which is not condusive to bringing in and retaining new players. Add that to the old players who gave up out of sheer frustration and you have a recipe for declining demogame participation. Sure, a new game will attract interest at first but carrying over all the rules will basically lead to the same situation that exists in DG2. My suggestion is to start with only a constitution. Use the current constitution as a basis and try something new. Remember the game is about splitting up the Civ 3 game play. Use the constitution as a basis for that and then construct additional rules and/or laws as the game progresses.

I agree here. Very few of the people who actually wrote many of the laws in the CoL and the CoS are still around. Lets give the people who joined after this a chance to shape the game into what they want it to be.

If we were to start completely fresh or with just a constitution, who would write the new laws and standards?

I'm with donsig and eyrei. The Constitution works just fine as a framework and specific controlling rules can be added when needed. Perhaps we could even get into an atmosphere where every rule doesn't need to be specified. The old rules would still be there to reference.

We should bring along the Rule sets. We should not scrap it since we have placed our sweat, Blood and tears on making it :).

I said basics, because complexity kills participation, IMHO.

Maybe we should use our current laws as a framework for a new set of laws that are similar in soem aspects, but different in others.

Bring over the basics.

As our nation progresses over time, so shall our laws. I also liked the idea of tying the DemoGame in more with the RPG, but that would take alot more work and would probably disenfranchise people who are only interested in playing the game.

I am frankly amazed at the large number of support there is for using everything. Hasn't anyone noticed the large number of threads that spring up regarding correcting the CoL and CoS?

Also, there are certain things that always will need to be amended at the beginning of a game. The fact that there will be only one member of the senate for quite some time, and that person alone can stand in the way of new legislation, for example.

And there is constant feedback that the rules are too complex and confusing, especially for new players. We can take the basic framework (Constitution) and implement whatever else we need later.

Frankly, my opinion is 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

In the beginning of the first DG, we set out with a basic ruleset, as many suggest now. What happened when we got around to the third term of the first DG? A major overhaul of those basics in favor of our current system.

With our, admittedly complex, rules imported to DG2, we've not had a major fight and rewrite of the rules.

With a new ruleset to write out, we will only have major forum arguments, a banning or two, and ultimately the same system we have now.

We can go through the rules, refine some things, simplfy things a bit, and all will be fine.
Besides, I'm one of those nuts who actually likes this rule discussion. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom