Diety Guide to Victory

flyingbunnys

Warlord
This is a quick guide that I wrote up to help anyone who might need a little guidance on Deity difficulty, since it took me a few tries to get it, I figured I would share what I learned.

In this write up I will explain the steps and the strategies needed to enable you to be able to gain any type of victory you choose on deity difficulty. When I did this I used Bismarck as my leader, however I have also tried it with Napoleon with success. Napoleon performed better at culture and Bismarck performed better on domination, but both still work for all four types of victory. With that in mind I am fairly confident that this can be done with any civilization that you choose.

Start up the game select deity select your civilization and begin. All victories have the same start.

Build your first city.
Produce warriors until you get alphabet.
With your warriors scout the map. Don’t bother holding any back to protect your city yet.
Wipe out any barbarians you find.
Research the alphabet first.
When finished with the barbarians you should have 100 gold, a settler, and a few other things.
Use the settler to build your second city.
Use the gold to rush libraries in both cities.
Produce more military units.
Go for mathematics on the tech tree.
Gather your units into armies and declare war on your first neighbor.
Save your game.
Clean up any units he might have wondering around. (Note: being on a hill is extremely useful).
After cleaning up his units hopefully you got some unit advancements.
Build a couple spies.
With your first two cities keep building military units until you have wiped out the first two civs.
Send your military to his city, use the spies to break his defenses.
The barbarians and unit clean up should have given you advanced units to attack his cities.
Start building catapults and sending them into battle.
(Note: If you rushed a library in both your cities and have them producing science then you will get mathematics fairly quick).
Once you have an army of catapults your opponent won’t last very long. (Note: make sure you take all their cities).
After the first civilization is wiped out you should have 3-6 cities and a fairly large military.
Keep producing catapults. It would be a good idea to set one archer in each city too.
Defeat Ai number 2 collecting all of his cities.
This is where things very depending on the victory that you want.

(Domination)

Technology:
1: Feudalism
2: University
3: Combustion

City Build Priority (All cities):
1: Library
2: Military Units
3: University
4: Military Units
Important Wonders: Leonardo’s Workshop

Government: Communism
(Technology)

Technology:
4: Democracy
5: University
6: Space Flight

City Build Priority (captured cities):
1: Library
2: University
3: Land Improving Buildings

Important Wonders: Oxford University

Government: Democracy
(Economic)

Technology:
1: Currency
2: Democracy
3: Banking

1: Market
2: Bank

Important Wonders: East India Company

Government: Democracy

(Culture)

Technology:
1: Ceremonial Burial
2: Monarchy
3: Religion

1: Temple
2: Cathedral

Important Wonders: Magna Carta

Government: Monarchy

I know its not the cleanest or the clearest but I hope it helps.

I love playing in Deity, I'm still in the middle of a Space race with Japan. Believe, it's been a long time since I had so much fun playing a game.
Fighting since the beginning, extremely aggressive AI, etc.

Great guide, I may try this technique. For domination you list Feudalism
as the 1st tech goal. Should we switch governemnts then? or wait?

Sorry that is my fault the guide is still somewhat incomplete.

For Domination Victory you are going to want to use Democracy as your government until you get communism. The second time I did this I didn't even make it to communism.

Here is a more detailed run down of Domination. Also the Germans do work the best for this because their units will automatically update.

First get alphabet and build libraries (libraries are the key) after you get your first settler from the 100 gold mark (if you don't get it from barbarians and huts you might have to switch to gold production for a bit). Rush the library build a second city build a library there too. All you cities should focus on libraries and military units.

The tech path I think goes like this
Alphabet
Writing (You will need the spies)
Pottery
Masonry
Mathematics (Catapults)
Literacy
Code of Laws
Democracy (Switch governments) (at this point you will be finished with or finishing of the first civ so declair war on the second before switching)
Yes I do realize that you cannot declare war in democracy but the AI can still declare war so you wont have a problem.
With all your cities having libraries and catapults and spies you will be ahead of the AI military wise.
Horseback Riding
Monarchy
Feudalism (Knights)
Then of course go for university and build universities to stay ahead in the tech curve.

If you have 5 cities producing 200-300 science per turn that is enough to stay ahead when I did it I just made it so all of my cities produce tech.

So I guess the answer to your question is no just use democracy until you get to communism.

shouldn't bronze working and ironworking fall into your tech path somewhere since you have your cities focusing on military so much? I don't see the point in spamming warriors for very long.

also having a Democracy is a terrible idea for a domination victory. You wont be able to declare war on anyone.

I have found that the AI goes for military techs first. Don't bother trying that first unit (unless you are ahead in tech), since one of that type is pretty useless. Get the techs that give you a bonus that affects all of your cities in stead. Industrialization and Corporation are must haves, +5 gold in each city is huge! You get quite an income while you can set all your cities to science. Railroad and Engineering are great too, since they make island cities a lot more productive that way.

I play as the Japanese since I can keep my workers on sea regions for the science and still be able to grow. The Aztecs are good to begin with as well with their science temples and obviously healing after each won combat. Plus with the bit of gold you get in the beginning you can have a warrior scout the very first turn.

My first tech is pottery and then I go for masonry to collect the free wall, which at 100 hammers is comparable to a wonder at that stage. Plus, no other AI gets it and you don't need to stack up on defense in that city. Just buy an archer if you get a surprise attack.

After that it's alphabet and irrigation for the population boost.

also having a Democracy is a terrible idea for a domination victory. You wont be able to declare war on anyone.

You'd think that, however, you should have no trouble provolking the AI into attacking you.

shouldn't bronze working and ironworking fall into your tech path somewhere since you have your cities focusing on military so much? I don't see the point in spamming warriors for very long.

Nope catapults have a much higher attack strenth then the other early units. It's fairly easy to get mathamatics well ahead of the AI. I just used masses of catapults to attack the AI.
Warriors will hold long enough for catapults to come clean your enemies clocks.

I have found that the AI goes for military techs first. Don't bother trying that first unit (unless you are ahead in tech), since one of that type is pretty useless. Get the techs that give you a bonus that affects all of your cities in stead. Industrialization and Corporation are must haves, +5 gold in each city is huge! You get quite an income while you can set all your cities to science. Railroad and Engineering are great too, since they make island cities a lot more productive that way.

Good suggestion to get to Industrialization and Corporation, I unfortunatly didn't focus on too much of the late game tactics, its more of just how to start off.

I love playing in Deity, I'm still in the middle of a Space race with Japan. Believe, it's been a long time since I had so much fun playing a game.
Fighting since the beginning, extremely aggressive AI, etc.

Side note, but man I really haven't had a close game yet with the AI on Deity. Either I get off to a terrible start and I'm pretty much doomed by the early AD's with no hope of winning, or I build up a solid tech lead to the point where my tank armies are rolling over pikemen defenders and I can take any kind of victory I want. I envy you. :(

One close-ish game last night where I boxed in the Americans to their starting peninsula early on and then faced an assault from all 3 civs on my other flank. I still had a small tech lead and used that to tank-rush the Americans, who with only two cities had a sizable cultural lead - after taking their two cities I basically "stole" their cultural victory as the beneficiary of all the wonders and great people they'd gotten. That's as close as it's gotten though.

Top Bottom