Disable Nukes in Conquests

CivFart

Warlord
Hi

I would really like to disable nukes for the AI in Civilization III Conquests. I'd prefer to have them myself (will not use them, but just have them available to myself)
I would also like to disable stealth bombers for the AI, but not to myself. :p

Can you guide me to what files to edit?

The only way to do it I see right now is:
1) choose a civ you'll play in next game;
2) make nukes and stealth bombers available to the civ selected on the step 1;
3) play this civ only but don't use nukes and stealthes, you promised! :)

It'll be necessary to switch units availability to another civ before you start the game playing an another civ - to keep these available to you only.

conquests.biq file should be changed (backup the original file!!!) using the Conquests editor. There is a Help system in it, you'll find out how to do what I suggested.

Topic reported to be moved to the Main Forum as it's not a tutorial but a modding question.

Hi

I would really like to disable nukes for the AI in Civilization III Conquests. I'd prefer to have them myself (will not use them, but just have them available to myself)
I would also like to disable stealth bombers for the AI, but not to myself. :p

Can you guide me to what files to edit?

The best option is what Wolfshade recommends, but rather than changing the Conquests biq. file, when you edit the units, save that as a file called "Limited Nukes", and then decide in advance what civilization you are playing. Then, if you want to play another civilization, you simply change the unit settings in that file.

There are some other ways to restrict them as well, but those would require pre-generated maps, and either adding a special resource like plutonium with only one location or pre-positioning a Wonder that auto-produces them, with no country able to produce them.

A lot depends on how much editing work you want to do.

Hi,

even more easy is to remove the checkmark in "AI Strategies" box. Without it the AI does not know the use of that unit and because of that will not build it.

So You do not need to edit the game file every time then starting a new game with another culture.

In my games the Manhattan Project is rarely build. It makes people in its building city unhappy and produced a lot of pollution, so the AI is less interested in building it and I never build it (I do not like nukes even in CIV).

I tried to change some settings by using the above rule setting window, but it doesn't seem to apply the changes to normal "New Game", do I have to play in Conquest mode for this to work?

CF, did you save changes to the conquests.biq file or to a new file?
If to the conquests.biq - then settings changes should be applied.
If to the new file - then put it to the Conquests\Scenarios folder and start a Scenario (Main Menu options) game and select your scenario.

Wolfshade, yes I did. If I understand things correctly, any changes made to conquests.biq will affect any new game when I click "New Game".

I will try again, maybe my changes were not specific enough to be noticed in the beginning of a new game. :)

I solved the problem, I had to run Conquest as administrator or else the changes will not be successfully read by the game.

How can I prevent a unit from becoming obsolete. I want the artillery piece to stay available in the city build menu and prevent it from becoming obsolete by the Radar Artillery. I like the artillery piece better?

Top Bottom