Disappearance of Resource

Wai_Wai

Chieftain
Does anyone know about the rule of disappearance of resource?
What can I do to help to reduce the chance of it?

*NEW*
- Do you know what is the game mechanic on the number and distibution of strategic resources? I know there's a separate mechanic for it, but I'm don't know much about it. does anyone know?

- if a resource is disappeared, will there be a notification to the player?

Every turn there is a 1 out of whatever chance for a resource to disappear. For Iron, it is 1 out of 250, I believe, but for other resources, it's more like 1 out of 720.

I believe resources only have a chance of disappearing if there is a road to them. so if you are not using a resource and don't intend to trade it, perhaps you would choose not to road it.

Rohili said:
I believe resources only have a chance of disappearing if there is a road to them. so if you are not using a resource and don't intend to trade it, perhaps you would choose not to road it.
How about if I road it, but I don't use it at all?
And how about if I don't road it, but the resource is within my city border?

Does the intensity of using a resource affect the disappearance rate?
To your experience, how freuqent a resource will disappear?

IIRC, horses never disappear.

Horses and Rubber can't disappear because the "regrow". But Iron, Salpeter, Coal, Alu, Uranium, Oil, something forgotten?, disappear because the can be exhausted, when you use them. Due to my experience the only disappear, if you have a road to them and they are in your territory or you've built a colonie on them. But for every resource that disappear an other resource of them same type appears anywhere else.

I also have the impression that Iron disappears more often than other resources, but I can't give you clear possibilities.

Uranium has the least chance of disappearing.

Then, twice as likely is oil.

Four times as like are aluminum and coal.

Eight times as likely are iron and saltpeter.

I could be backwards, though.

EquinoxOmega said:
Horses and Rubber can't disappear because the "regrow". But Iron, Salpeter, Coal, Alu, Uranium, Oil, something forgotten?, disappear because the can be exhausted, when you use them. Due to my experience the only disappear, if you have a road to them and they are in your territory or you've built a colonie on them. But for every resource that disappear an other resource of them same type appears anywhere else.

I also have the impression that Iron disappears more often than other resources, but I can't give you clear possibilities.
How about if they are within my territory:
- no road but a unit stand on top of the resource

And does the intensity of utilising the resource will quicken the disappearance progress, or raise the chance of disappearance?

By the way, do you have any clue where to find opponents to play a multi-player game?

Tomoyo said:
Uranium has the least chance of disappearing.

Then, twice as likely is oil.

Four times as like are aluminum and coal.

Eight times as likely are iron and saltpeter.

I could be backwards, though.
You may find the following interesting:
Strategic Resource === Chance of Disappearance
Horses ============ Never
Iron ============== 0.13%
Saltpeter ========== 0.13%
Coal ============== 0.25%
Oil =============== 0.50%
Rubber ============ Never
Aluminum ========== 0.25%
Uranium =========== 1.00%

That's what the "I could be backwards" meant. I wasn't sure which was the most likely and which was the least.

New question:
- Does anyone know what is the game mechanic on the number and distibution of strategic resources? I know there's a separate mechanic for it, but I'm don't know much about it. does anyone know?

Tomoyo said:
That's what the "I could be backwards" meant. I wasn't sure which was the most likely and which was the least.

I am more concerned on how I can lower the chance of my resource disappearing.
I would like to confirm i the following affect the chance:
- any unit standing on top of resource
- how often I use the resource

I have some ideas in mind, but not sure whether I'm correct or not.

In fact, the chance seems very small.
Have you ever experience a loss of your resource? If so, how often does it happen to you? (Yes, I would like to know the answer in your own experience too, apart from the formal "disappearance percentage")

Wai_Wai said:
New question:
- Does anyone know what is the game mechanic on the number and distibution of strategic resources? I know there's a separate mechanic for it, but I'm don't know much about it. does anyone know?

I'm pretty sure the level affects the total number you'll find on the map (fewer at higher difficulties.) Also certain resources can only be found on certain types of terrain (hills and mountains for iron as an example.) Beyond that, I think it's completely random.

I don't think it's a pop-up. It looks just like the 'Forest harvested, 10 shields returned to XXX' message that you see In Between Turns.

AFAIK, A resource can only disappear once you've connected it up. Neither of these should affect the chance of disappearance at all.

AFAIK, the level has nothing to do with the number of resources... :hmm:

Wai_Wai said:

I have some ideas in mind, but not sure whether I'm correct or not.

Neither have any effect.

In fact, the chance seems very small.
Have you ever experience a loss of your resource? If so, how often does it happen to you? (Yes, I would like to know the answer in your own experience too, apart from the formal "disappearance percentage")

Like anything random, it varies. You can go an entire game without losing a resource, and then in another game it happens half a dozen times. I once had a resource disappear and then reappear on the same tile.

Wai_Wai said:
New question:
The frequency of resources appearing on a map can be changed in the editor. Distribution, AFAIK, is random within the proper terrain types for a given resource. Strategic resources are rarer in C3C than in Vanilla and PTW.
- if a resource is disappeared, will there be a notification to the player? -
Yes, you'll get a notice that the resource has depleted.
Neither of these has any affect. You can only change the chances of resources depleting in the editor.

Once a map is generated, the total number of any given resource is constant. If it disappears, it reappears on the same turn at a different (or rarely, the same) location.

Wow. So lucky. The disappearing resource reappear at the same tile. There are so many available tiles. But it chooses to finally appear at the same place.

By the way, it is strange logically. The resource is said to be depleted, so how come it will be available at the same tile again? The forumla should exclude this possibility.

Maybe they dug down a little deeper, and found more.

Or drilled sideways, and found another vein. Of course, after it had been reported as depleted.

And the only way a resource can be set for depletion is to have a road on it.

Turner_727 said:
Maybe they dug down a little deeper, and found more.

Or drilled sideways, and found another vein. Of course, after it had been reported as depleted.

And the only way a resource can be set for depletion is to have a road on it.
Yes, maybe. But it is a bit of a joke because they report the resource is depleted and then report they found the resource again at the same turn. If this thing is reported to me, I will feel they must be kidding. A least you need to spend some time turns) in order to dsicover the new source ^.^

Sometimes is strange to the road and depletion issue. Supposing I just road to the reosurce and have not used it yet. Suddenly one day someone told me the reosource was depleted. Oh! Who stole my reosurces?

Top Bottom