Discovering ancient ruins...

civ3c

Chieftain
Hi
I wanna ask - on Deity level what is the chance to get a tech from discovering ancient ruins...?
Also, what is the chance to get a second tech in a row...10x

(on Deity i mean the most difficult level )

Pretty sure it's the same as on any other difficulty, havn't noticed any difference at least.

You cannot get two techs in a row on VANILLA, I assume the same applies to BNW.

If true, it's quite disappointing :(
in this case is it possiby (at least in theory) to get 2 techs from 3 ancient ruins, i mean 1st & 3rd ?

in this case is it possiby (at least in theory) to get 2 techs from 3 ancient ruins, i mean 1st & 3rd ?

All I can say is that it has never happened for me, I have never had a repeat goody from a ruins but then again I have never opened more than four of them (playing Deity).

is it not like the Shoshone ability that you can only get the same result every third time? so tech, something else two times, and the fourth can be a tech again.

I think the Pathfinder's ability is a pretty good representation: I think it shows all the things the ruin could be.

This can be considered a cheat/hack/exploit/whatever you wanna call it, but you can "control" what you get from ancient ruin. During game setup, check "Enable new random seed". Before stepping onto ancient ruin, save your game. Then step onto it. If you don't like what you get, reload the game, and you can get different result.

Of course there are limitation to what ancient ruin you can get, i.e no consecutive same ruins, no faith ruin before turn 20 etc

Yes, you can get techs 1st and 3rd turn. I am pretty sure.

I think the rule is: you don't find the identical ruin twice in a row. And previously upgraded units (via ruin) can never be upgraded.

This can be considered a cheat/hack/exploit/whatever you wanna call it, but you can "control" what you get from ancient ruin. During game setup, check "Enable new random seed". Before stepping onto ancient ruin, save your game. Then step onto it. If you don't like what you get, reload the game, and you can get different result.

Of course there are limitation to what ancient ruin you can get, i.e no consecutive same ruins, no faith ruin before turn 20 etc

Hehe. There was a Spain game where I repeatedly restarted the game until I found natural wonders by my starting location. Then I scouted out the whole map to find the locations of city states and civs.

On the second restart, with the cash bonuses from the natural wonders (500 from each), I produced and bought nothing but scouts. I mapped out the locations of all the ancient ruins that were in reachable distance.

On the third restart, I would build only two scouts, but would take paths to acquire as many ancient ruins as possible. And I would restart until I got the ruin that I wanted each time.

I even restarted to get the Day of the King luxury resource that was available nearby or via city states. I restarted for spy coups. I restarted whenever someone stole a tech from me, to go back in turn to move the spy to my city, and gain a promotion.

Funny. But it was a satisfying win vs. deity lol...

Yes, you can get techs 1st and 3rd turn. I am pretty sure.

I think the rule is: you don't find the identical ruin twice in a row. And previously upgraded units (via ruin) can never be upgraded.

I dunno, I'm fairly certain I've had a game where all the ruins were just maps of the surrounding area :(

I dunno, I'm fairly certain I've had a game where all the ruins were just maps of the surrounding area :(

My personal favorite when I get a map is when it is all or mostly ocean. What did we find, a blank piece of paper or a map that says 'a lot of water over there?'

It is possible. I just got 2 techs - animal husbandry and trapping - from ruins in a game I'm playing. Saved me only a few turns.

Hehe. There was a Spain game where I repeatedly restarted the game until I found natural wonders by my starting location. Then I scouted out the whole map to find the locations of city states and civs.

On the second restart, with the cash bonuses from the natural wonders (500 from each), I produced and bought nothing but scouts. I mapped out the locations of all the ancient ruins that were in reachable distance.

On the third restart, I would build only two scouts, but would take paths to acquire as many ancient ruins as possible. And I would restart until I got the ruin that I wanted each time.

I even restarted to get the Day of the King luxury resource that was available nearby or via city states. I restarted for spy coups. I restarted whenever someone stole a tech from me, to go back in turn to move the spy to my city, and gain a promotion.

Your behavior is reprehensible! Have you no respect for the game? : )

If you get tech on the first ruin, then you can't get tech on the second and third ruin. You have to wait until the third ruin after to be able to get the same thing again. The list is:

map
barb activity
tech
population
weaponry
gold
culture
faith
great prophet faith

So if you got tech on turn 2 and find another ruin on turn 4, then the hidden list of options (unless shoshone pathfinder) will be:

map
barb activity
population
weaponry
gold
culture

If you get culture and find another ruin on turn 10, then the list will be.

map
barb activity
population
weaponry
gold

You can't get faith until turn 20 I think and isn't available once you have a pantheon. cant get great prophet until you've established a pantheon. If your unit is already has upgraded weapons, it won't upgrade again and it will give you one of the other available rewards (that you didn't get in the previous two ruins). I think that if an option is available then it is weighted the same as every other available option. As in no one is more likely then the other.

...During game setup, check "Enable new random seed". Before stepping onto ancient ruin, save your game. Then step onto it. If you don't like what you get, reload the game, and you can get different result...

This is exactly the way Iam going to ....:)
I played a game on level 6 , i think its Immortal - my first game for Civ 5 -
I restarted the game at least 20 times to get Pottery from my 1st ancient ruin -
the most disappointing thing was , that i've got 3 times Animal Husbandry, 3 times Mining & 3 times the other tech from level 1, but Pottery was always missing...

My primary goal is always to start with Mining research & to get Pottery from my 1st ruins, so according to the last post i must discover 4 ancient ruins to get another tech from 4th one , right ?
Another important questions pops up -
well , to say i have received tech from 1st ruins & have discovered 4th ruins,
shall i get a tech from level 2 - i.e. Plantation or Calendar, or one of the remaining techs on level 1, which aren't still researched....?

So, i need a little clarification -
if iam playing with Shoshon Pathfinder and have been able to discover 4 ancient ruins, does it mean , that i will get 4 techs (if i want them...) ?

Lol. I cheat in this game all the time (with the edit-all mod) but this is just radical :crazyeye: I must say that I admire your patience, though. Replaying early game so many times and then reloading everything... It doesn't take so long to load a Civ's save, but still.

Top Bottom