Discovering Resources

jmills

Chieftain
Hello,

When about to build a mine in Civ 4, it says there is a small chance of discovering: and then it lists the resources like iron, copper, gold, etc.

Just how small is this chance?

Thanks,

---Jason

In broad strokes, the chance is very small but in a large empire you are likely to see this event somewhere between 2 and 5 times.

This is merely a personal observation, I trust another poster will answer your question with better accuracy!

If I remember correctly its 1:10000 per resource you know per turn that mine is worked. Nothing to build your strategy around, but 1-2 times per game is rather common.

OK, I was just asking because I am in a bit of a pickle, I'm in a game right now, I'm about equal in size and second in score, but ALL the iron resources I see are taken, I'm trying to trade for the resource from Ceasar or Roosevelt

I'm afraid this is one of those very randomized aspects of the game, you can't really base a strategy around. Trading is definitely your best bet: make the most of a lopsided deal (the AI values military resources highly, as it should) and cancel it after 10 turns. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Yep, you certainly can't rely on a miracle resource pop from a mine to get your iron. Not only are the odds low, but there are several different resources that could pop that further reduces the chance that it would be iron.

Better to trade or try to secure iron early enough that you don't need iron based units. Mace don't need iron and neither do siege.

I thought the odds for popping the resource appear if you hover over the mine or when you build the mine. Can't remember which. I usually don't think about it. As tWtA says, your are bound to see it happen at least once or twice in any game and even more so the larger the empire.

I thought the odds for popping the resource appear if you hover over the mine or when you build the mine. Can't remember which. I usually don't think about it. As tWtA says, your are bound to see it happen at least once or twice in any game and even more so the larger the empire.

Sometimes in the process of giving a move order I find that the interface will display a huge number, which can't possibly be rationalized as distance. Maybe this is somehow related to your comment but it could be an entirely different issue.

Most of the resources just pop out on their own without you giving any mind to it. Once you stay busy with the management of your empire these resources will start popping out when you have your citizens work the mines where they appear.

I had 1 really lucky game some time ago - capital city had just 3 mines (no resources at the start), but around 500 AD it had 2 coppers and 1 gold (and gold tile had this +2 hammer event too :D so - 3 mines, 4 lucky bonus)..

It's a handy bonus, and a reason why I try to work a lot of mines. Even just a couple of these pops can turn out to be very strong as either a critical military element or a trading resource.

If it ever happens in the BC years, that's a huge stroke of luck.

I think that it either has or doesn't have a resourse in a specific square
From the beginning of the game it is standard the resourses
And you discover them when time passes
Or I am wrong ?:hmm:

I think that it either has or doesn't have a resourse in a specific square
From the beginning of the game it is standard the resourses
And you discover them when time passes
Or I am wrong ?:hmm:

You are both right and wrong. When the map gets generated it is made with all the copper, oil, bananas, coal and other resources. How many of those resources you see depends on your tech level (you see copper at bronze working, coal at steam power and so on).

In addition to that every turn you work a mine you have a 1/10000 chance to pop a given resource on a hill that does not have a resource from before. If the hill already have a resource, but you just can't see it, then you can't get anything new there. You also can't pop resources you can't see yet.

So new resources can spawn on maps (even with random events turned off).

Well, I must admit I didn't know that ! I keep learning things !

Next time you're about to have a Worker build a mine on a hill (that doesn't have a resource) look at the box in the lower left while you're hovering over the "build mine" order. I have no screenshot skillz, otherwise there'd be a handy pic here, but it'll say something like:

"Build a Mine <M> +2:hammers:
Small chance of discovering"...
...then it'll show the icons for all the resources that might appear. I'm in the late game right now so it shows aluminum, coal, copper, iron, uranium, gems, gold, silver.

Top Bottom