Discussion: Should we remove all game 1 info from the registry?

eyrei

Deity
Retired Moderator
Well....discuss.:rolleyes:

Yeah. I know it is not the most exciting topic, but some people may be concerned about making a clean break.;)

As per the request, I didn't put any of my previous info in the post, with the exception to the pension, which relates to former mandates. I don't really care as it is a new game and a fresh start is always good. I believe the request for no prior info was to start everyone out on the same level, similiar to Dis' new request to have everyone start off with the same amount in the bank. Personally, let's remove all game 1 info from the registry, but if the old-timers need to hold on to the glory days, what are we going to do? Remove it by Mod action?

Besides I don't think you're going to be very successful keeping references to Phoenatica out of the forums. OOPS!

I have all my old stuff in the registry. I figured it was better reading than having nothing there. Once we actually start playing I figured I'd edit out the old and start anew. :)

This is almost a backstory issue. Did we spring forth as a new nation from uncivilized tribes or did a Phoenatican colony ship crash-land on a random new (and serendipitously habitable) planet while en route to Alpha Centauri/Apolytonia?

I vote we crash-landed and after a brief and unpalatable stint of cannibalism are finally pulling ourselves out of the dark ages, the dark ages of August.

No. Our souls, as the greats of Phoenatica, were assumed, and transferred to new bodies (strangely looking like our old ones) on a new planet, to lead a new nation to glory.

Saying "no game 1 info on the registry" is kinda like forceing the RPG aspect on people, since that could be used to show experence for elections and personal points of pride. I've always been in favor of haveing the RPG for those who want to do it, but as a casual player, I don't want do the RPG thing. Just not interested in that kinda stuff personally.

no game 1 info. this is a new game and too much starting info will spoil off newbies maybe.
imagine you look thru the registry and all 20 entries hold "mayor of this", "president of that" etc.

Originally posted by Myartar
Saying "no game 1 info on the registry" is kinda like forceing the RPG aspect on people, since that could be used to show experence for elections and personal points of pride. I've always been in favor of haveing the RPG for those who want to do it, but as a casual player, I don't want do the RPG thing. Just not interested in that kinda stuff personally.

This is a good point. Even though I don't think this is forcing the RPG on people (I see it as starting a new game regardless), game 1 information is useful in some aspects. Maybe we should have a 'Resume' thread where people can post he positions they have held. Also, a nominee can post this info in the Q&A thread prior to the elections.

Maybe just an entry in the registry that makes it clear. Example:

"Previous demo game experience: Foreign Affairs Minister (2), Mayor of Valhall (4), Senior Council at-Large (2), Chief Justice (2) in Civ3 Demogame 1."

Mandate and former mandate would be for this game only.

Alright, here are the poll options so far:

Where (if at all) should game 1 information be posted in the game 2 forum?

1. Nowhere
2. Anywhere
3. registry
4. Registry only with a clear distinction
5. A separate thread for this purpose
6. Only in election related threads
7. abstain

If we are still discussing this, why did I get my post edited??
Oh, Shaitan, you can get at my posts, but you can't get my signature!!
On second thought maybe you can, but it wouldn't be as easy!

Plus, my post in the registry was entirely accurate!!

Personally, I find this idea has absolutely no merit. If we deny our past, we learn nothing. If JimboX wants to remember that he did a great job for Phoenatica for 5 months, let him.

I strongly object to mods editing posts unless they are a violation of forum rules. I am shocked to find the posts edited and feel this to be very close to a violation of free speech - especially with no prior agreement in place (great point, AJ). This thread closing and editing is getting out of hand. I thought mods were here to keep the forum sane, not to be some sort of game-master.

For what sane reason should mods be given this responsibility? I'd much rather them spend their time contributing the game, not smothering people's posts.

I for one would like to start fresh with everything. But we can not deny the past. Let us instead embrace it. After all, was it not a good experience?

Frankly, I'm rather upset at the mass editing of posts by Shaitan.

First of all, no conclusion was reached here that former mandates should be removed. Second, the mod should only be using power to enforce demogame rules. Clearly, posting former mandates is not aginst the rules. Third, the former mandates were not against the Civfanatics forum rules.
I demand a good explanation of this action from Shaitan.

All 3 mods voted to remove the Game 1 information to enforce a mod's previous instruction not to post such information in Game 2 threads. That was done before this discussion began (or at least before I saw it) or I would have held off.

This is about the 3rd or 4th time already I have felt that the mods we have now over-stepped their authority. I thought they agreed to regulate the forums, not the game. It is clear in this case, it is not the fault of one mod, but a conspiracy by all.

A snippet of the PM I sent to TF:
I don't think Moderators should be enforcing the game rules. The game has a mechanism to deal with these offenders.
The citizens thread reads:
Please refrain from posting Game 1 information in this thread.
without any warning of consequence.

This action was not justified by any gaming rule. Nor did these posts violate any forum rules. I suggest an apology from the mods to be issued to those posters whose posts they edited. I would certainly be more offended if they edited my post.

The discussion was taken in game1-forum before. And we were told not to take them over explicitly.
So i think this edit, though another warning would maybe have been nicer, was accurate.
Sorry, but we really were told in advance.
And multiple times.

If we take over game1 information, we will also take over the same discussions, the same sentiments and other aspects in here.

This is not the sense of the game.

See this as a new plain start. If we take the G1 info in here, i would also like to reopen the poll on donsigs last pi and would like to have my pi reopened, as both were only closed because it made no sense to do them on the endgame.

(If we take g1 info over, we must also take over pi's and anything else.)

Originally posted by chiefpaco
This is about the 3rd or 4th time already I have felt that the mods we have now over-stepped their authority. I thought they agreed to regulate the forums, not the game. It is clear in this case, it is not the fault of one mod, but a conspiracy by all.

A snippet of the PM I sent to TF:

The citizens thread reads:
without any warning of consequence.

This action was not justified by any gaming rule. Nor did these posts violate any forum rules. I suggest an apology from the mods to be issued to those posters whose posts they edited. I would certainly be more offended if they edited my post.

If anyone feels they must have their game 1 info in the registry, feel free to replace it pending the conclusion of this discussion and poll.

And to all of you who think this is some sort of violation of your rights, I suggest you take a moment and look at all the work Shaitan has put into creating and organizing this forum. If he doesn't want game 1 info in the registry, I think we should humor him. What exactly is the big deal?

Top Bottom