Dll - civilization_other

Nutty

Deity
This request is based on the EA_ANIMAL_PLAYER component from the Ea mod, which simply adds a new type of Barbarian player in slot #62, in that case to represent wildlife. Animals are then spawned by Lua. The EA_ANIMAL_BEHAVIOR component prevents animals from entering player territory and pillaging trade routes.

In general, I think warring barbarian tribes might be interesting.

I think a more modular method would be helpful as part of the patch to facilitate the creation of additional roll-your-own player types with changeable loyalties, such as mercenaries, pirates and privateers, and whatever mix of spawned undead/lycanthropic/divine/demonic types that are desired that need not be allied with the CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN faction.

I imagine this involves a define [NUM_CUSTOM_PLAYERS] to specify how many players to reserve, and a few additional [boolean] columns in the Civilizations table:
  • 'CustomPlayer' or somesuch to signify it is one of these custom players;
  • 'AlwaysAtWar'
  • 'Barbarian', whether to respond positively to player:IsBarbarian() and whether minors create barbarian quests related to the player [and whether the "No Barbarians" game option disables them]
These columns should probably replace the methods related to the Defines for BARBARIAN_PLAYER, BARBARIAN_TEAM, etc.

I suggested something in the original thread like this, but I probably worded it so wrongly it's no wonder it got shot down. I hope now they'll be more willing to do this now.

It is an interesting idea, though the problem is the Diplomacy AI is quite complex, particularly because the 'diplomatic' AI for minor civs and major civs are handled independently. Barbarians do not run a diplomatic AI, so your talking about adding a subset AI that is neither a minor civ (it can think on its own, rather than simply running weighted functions and reacting to players), nor a major civ. Eeesh. Not impossible, but it'll be a task. Something to consider for later releases, sure, but right off-the-bat it is daunting. Consider it a 'holy grail' for now. :)
G

I think you misunderstand the limited scope of the request because of my attempts at salesmanship in how it could be used.

These are at-war status holders qua non-spawning barbarians.

Top Bottom