Do we have other board games to discuss?

I also play contract bridge competitively - but I dont think its a board game ...

I play Cities & Knights of Catan (mostly online on games.asobrain.com). I'm also a big fan of card games, especially the little known "Oh Hell" (the "Get Fred" variant evidently).

I play Risk as well, and the Game of Life to boot.

hmm, haven't heard of Texas, I'll have to look it up.

My local chess club also holds a board game night on the 1st & 3rd Wednesday nights but I rarely go. I live 25 minutes (by car) away though, when I live closer (plan to move to the area for a job & also cause my current housemate wants to move his girlfriend in) I will go everytime (unless I have something very pressing).

I play Texas Holdem on Facebook every once in a blue moon. Honestly, I play Uno more often on Facebook then poker. At least I know I can beat Uno often enough to make it fun.:lol:

I'd recommend a moderator rename this to: "OT: What other games do you play?"

jm.02

It is a great Facebook application and a great game on my iPod.

I quitted with chess several years ago because of its short-comings like first-move advantage, tactics dominating strategy, high percentage of remis, early decision of outcome (when losing a piece), memorized opening lines etc.

Back then i discovered a new board game called Arimaa which can be played using a chess set, but its rules are so different from chess that it cannot be called a chess variant anymore.

It has none of the disadvantages of chess:
- no memorized openings since each game starts with an empty board, each of the 64 Million opening setups are legal
- no first move advantage since the second player places his 16 pieces after he saw the first players setup and can react to the setup
- tactics are far less dominant than in chess, because the position can't change very fast due to the movement of the pieces and because pieces are not captured directly but only by pushing them into one of the 4 trap-squares (which can be guarded by a friendly piece, inhibiting a capture; so the guard must be attacked too ;)
- computer cheating is impossible because computer programs suffer in Arimaa due to its strategic nature and the combinatorial explosion of ~17000 move options per turn and because piece movement is intuitive and easy to learn for humans; in fact there is now a gap (between the best programs and the top players) of ~600 Elo (equals to ~6 player-strength classes) so that human professionals are no longer interested in playing short-sighted computer programs (which cannot play strategically like a human being)
- the game feels very open & creative, its richness is indeed comparable to the game of Go; the moves consists of up to 4 orthogonal steps which can be spreaded on several pieces (this explains the gigantic number of move options); the replay value is very high
- you have to protect a whole zone from (small) invaders not just one piece, this reduces tactical game-deciding blunders drastically because it needs preparation before one gets to the goal line and is easily thwartable (when there are still many pieces on the board); so a game is not decided by blundering a single piece and comebacks are often seen

The inventor of this board game is so confident of its computer-resistance that he created a challenge for programmers to develop an AI which can defeat the best human players. The first developer or team who manages this task earns a prize of 20.000$. The Arimaa Challenge has been hold since 2004. Every year the humans have won decisively (sometimes even playing with a handicap).

The game itself is very much fun because the goal of the game is a kind of race: You have to reach the opposing side of the board which one of your weakest pieces. Which is also an easier and better foreseeable task than checkmating a king (at least for humans ;). So it is not rare to see games, where multiple pieces are sacrificed to break through the opposing lines and getting to the goal line with one of your rabbits (the weakest piece).

The game has received plenty of positive reviews at BoardGameGeek and several blogs and magazines.

Top Bottom