Do you think Civ V is doomed?

Not at all....

It has a fair bunch of new mechanics, and I reckon most of them were good changes. Of course they need balancing and tweaking; that's pretty par for the course these days, and especially when you're trying something a bit new. When I'm playing the game, I'm thinking "x is too cheap/expensive/powerful/etc" and making a laundry list of simple tweaks I would make if I could be bothered mucking around with modding in this game, rather than "x feature is entirely broken". Which is great because our most excellent modding friends are already stepping in and doing a lot of this work to really get it where it needs to be.

That said, the diplomatic system currently stands out like a sore thumb as a Work In Progress - even with the patch it feels very much unfinished. Is it broken at core? I don't know, but I don't think so. Hopefully they can sort this out with a patch or expansion, and put in a map trading option while they're at it.

The only other feature that screams out its absence to me is foreign trade routes, and I really hope this can make its way into an expansion. It would be particularly useful for making interactions with city-states more interesting as well.

So fix some of that stuff up, throw in an inevitable expansion or two to round out the content and I reckon you've got one for the ages. I realise I might be in the minority on this forum though.

Yeah! International trade routes, also used for more interaction with the city states is a very good idea for the expansions. This game has so much great potential.

You do know that the success of free to play games is to sell copies ?

CiV 5 is a resounding success in that way. Seriously, try to find a PC free 2 play game with more replay value. There might be SC2, and...that's it.

Apolyton. CTP 2. Still having a blast with it.

You do know that the success of free to play games is to sell copies ?

CiV 5 is a resounding success in that way. Seriously, try to find a PC free 2 play game with more replay value. There might be SC2, and...that's it.

Easy. Dwarf Fortress. Also C-Evo is an interesting Civ variant, very different from any commercial Civ version.

Easy. Dwarf Fortress. Also C-Evo is an interesting Civ variant, very different from any commercial Civ version.

Agreed on C-Evo. The AI regularly hands me my gluteous maximus on the higher difficulties.

CiV 5 is a resounding success in that way. Seriously, try to find a PC free 2 play game with more replay value.

Okay. Off the top of my head, I can think of Team Fortress 2, Europa Universalis 3, Portal, Minecraft, Victoria 2, Dwarf Fortress, Left 4 Dead 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Counter Strike: Source, Football Manager 2011, Guild Wars, Half-Life 2, Company of Heroes, Command & Conquer Generals, C&C Red Alert, Diablo 2, Audiosurf, and Torchlight.

Oh... and Civilization 4. ;)

Replayability is not Civ 5's strong suit, unfortunately.

I can't believe I'm the first one to quote this but here goes... It's always darkest before the dawn (dawn being Civ5 expansion/civ 6)

/Huddles down behind a wall and expects a lot of angry response

Doomed? No. Replayability? Not for me thx. My dearest wish is that they would release the flipping code so the modders can work their magic. Which, IMO, is probably what 2K intended all along so that they could somehow profit from someone elses work.

That is not going to happen. It never will for any game that features DLC.

doomed as a Civ game, but not doomed as a strategy game. Lets face it, Civ5 is a STRATEGY game now, not a Civ builder. While Civ has always been strategy oriented, there was immersion in the previous games. Now its just a game, just an average game. Thats my big problem with Civ5.

Okay. Off the top of my head, I can think of Team Fortress 2, Europa Universalis 3, Portal, Minecraft, Victoria 2, Dwarf Fortress, Left 4 Dead 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Counter Strike: Source, Football Manager 2011, Guild Wars, Half-Life 2, Company of Heroes, Command & Conquer Generals, C&C Red Alert, Diablo 2, Audiosurf, and Torchlight.

Ancient Domains of Mystery! ( http://www.adom.de/adom/download.php3 )

:trophy: :king: :viking:

Like someone else mentioned, this game was like Spore in my opinion- Way overhyped, then turns out it was dumbed down to appeal to the masses. In both, I gave it three tries or so. After, I set both down, utterly discontent. :cry:

But no, I do not think CiV is doomed. Like Spore, it really does appeal to the masses, and will sell well regardless, as it has.

Yes.
So hopefully they'll flesh out the skeleton with some very hefty patches and expansions, giving us real diplo, a revised diplo victory, rebalanced yields/build times, a functional gui, a decent victory screen and replay, multiplayer, etc, etc.
I took this quote as an example.

Most people hoping for improvements by patches/expansions are actually expressing their hope that the game changes.

So, to repeat the question:
Yes, it is.
People still putting their hope into it actually are expecting most of the initial core ideas to be changed.

The concept of the "mysterious diplomacy" already was put into the garbage bin.
Read what defenders of the "1upt" system are writing: "I love '1upt', if only it weren't 1upt."
Another core idea which actually is praised not for being "1upt", but for no longer being SoD.

CivV is doomed. It cannot be fixed to the expectations of most of the players without making it non-CivV.
The core concepts have been mis-designed, as sad as this may be.

It might become a decent game after many more patches, but then it won't be anything similar to the initial release anymore.

Yeah, I think it can be saved. Needs a lot of polishing, but I think with tweaks and significant AI work they can get it to be a pretty damned sweet game. It's already fun, but, it definitely needs things worked out.

I don't think you guys understand the concept of free to play games. None of those games I quoted
Are free to play. You have to buy all of them to play them.

Free to play games are like league of legends or maple story. Basically any game that you can play for free but includes a micro transaction cash store is a free to play game.

What you list is are buy once and play forever games. There is a difference.

I took this quote as an example.

Most people hoping for improvements by patches/expansions are actually expressing their hope that the game changes. ..

You quoted me, so reply I must! ;)

I do not think that the laundry list you cited from me is undoable--the point of my answer was that CiV is unfinished, and that the new mechanic of 1upt demanded so much developmental resources that the rest is just bare bones. That list is just getting the game to the point where it should have been at release.

So yes! I want changes, I expect changes, and pretty big ones at that. Firaxis sent a preemie out into the world and they know it, and I expect quite a scramble on their part to get it properly patched and playable, seeing as this is a lead title/franchise. Look at their catalog: they have a very big incentive to assure CiV's success and the next 12 months should be very interesting; either they finish their game or their game is finished.

I don't think you guys understand the concept of free to play games. None of those games I quoted
Are free to play. You have to buy all of them to play them.

Free to play games are like league of legends or maple story. Basically any game that you can play for free but includes a micro transaction cash store is a free to play game.

What you list is are buy once and play forever games. There is a difference.

I was responding to someone who compared the replayability of Civ 5 to Starcraft 2, alleging that SC2 was the only game out there that offered replayability on par with Civ 5. Since I find that Civ 5's replayability is sorely lacking, I listed a lot of other examples of games that ARE enjoyable to play many times. (And Civ 5 isn't a free to play game itself, so I'm not sure what the point was there.)

I don't think it's doomed, but it needs a HUGE expansion pack or two and some patches. Global happiness for example is a terrible idea and really needs to go. So does building and road maintenance cost for that matter. 1UPT works for military units, but civilain units should be allowed to stack. I hate how science works too, the slider was much better and didn't encourage ICS like the pop based science does. There's also the problem with incredibly slow production. I understand that units need to cost much hammers because of 1UPT, but why must the same apply to buildings?

Doomed as doomed can be, doncha know!

This thread is funny. The real question on all our minds is when will Civ V stop beating its wife?

Top Bottom