Do you think there will be a Total War: World War

kiwitt

Road to War Modder
From about 1870's to about 1950's.

TBH: This is the one I would really want.

If they do do something like that, it will be represented badly, because, ironically, the Total War engine is very poor at portraying the warfare of the so-called "era of total war".

So you can expect that it's on CA's to-do list.

Nah, as Dachs said, Total War doesn't really work with any modern sort of conflict.

Also, I'd prefer more historical games from them, modern era conflicts have been done to death. :)

I would like it if they made a 'Thirty Years War: Total War' going from the Reformation to the War of Spanish Sucession. It would bridge the gap between MEdieval and empire.

I myself wouldn't mind seeing one based on Genghis Khan and the Mongol Empire.

Genghis Khan was kind of covered in Shogun 1 and Medieval. I don't think they want to create a full game around him, more a supporting role.

A Chinggis game would work more or less like RTW.

You'd have the four Mongol houses factions in a permanent alliance with massively overstatted units and sizable starting armies, facing off against cardboard Song, Russian, and Khwarizmian soldiers.

For good measure, the Parthians Saljuqs would control Iran Constantinople and the HRE would rule Poland, while already-Mamluk Egypt would also own territories in India. Britannia Japan would control Belgium Korea and possess terrible samurai units that would roll over everything in autoresolve but which would instantly fall apart in an actual battle, leading to the Mongols intervening in a Japanese and Viet battle over the Yangzi, fighting over the corpse of the Germans Song, sometime in the 1230s.

Did you play RTW?

Yes, the Romans were overpowered and had houses, I understand. The Japanese controlling Belgium gibberish is what I'm lost at

Yes, the Romans were overpowered and had houses, I understand. The Japanese controlling Belgium gibberish is what I'm lost at

In vanilla Rome, Britannia also controlled Belgium. Their war chariots were terribly overpowered (but only in auto-resolve) and you would regularly see Britain dominating Germany.

Genghis Khan was kind of covered in Shogun 1 and Medieval. I don't think they want to create a full game around him, more a supporting role.

I think he would be great beyond a supporting role, especially considering his period was one of actual constant war. :p

A Chinggis game would work more or less like RTW.

You'd have the four Mongol houses factions in a permanent alliance with massively overstatted units and sizable starting armies, facing off against cardboard Song, Russian, and Khwarizmian soldiers.

For good measure, the Parthians Saljuqs would control Iran Constantinople and the HRE would rule Poland, while already-Mamluk Egypt would also own territories in India. Britannia Japan would control Belgium Korea and possess terrible samurai units that would roll over everything in autoresolve but which would instantly fall apart in an actual battle, leading to the Mongols intervening in a Japanese and Viet battle over the Yangzi, fighting over the corpse of the Germans Song, sometime in the 1230s.

To combat this (and to combat the sheer size of the map), I think if they were to do this, they should do something similar to what they did with NTW; where you have different "chapters" of the campaign to play. I guess starting out with unification and wars with northern china, the second one could be invasion of Persia (I can't spell their name for crap) and the middle east, and finally, world empire/collapse stage, where you have all of Asia/Europe to play with, and then having to deal with the split.

Could work, no?

God no, I hated the episodic campaigns. There's just no feel of conquering the world when you're stuck in a little piddly part of it.

Dachs is referring to the ahistoricalness of Rome and Total War games in general, the overpowered Mongol units in Medieval 2 and lack of details for not "main" factions.
In MTW2, really?
I seem to remember the factions having a pretty diverse roster, even the far-away factions. Russia had a well-developed roster, same with the Seljuks, Mamluks, and Moors. If anything the 'main' factions were the boring ones, all shared the same early game roster (with some minor differences).

Top Bottom