Does anyone else find this annoying/infuriating?

Friends shouldn't sign defensive pacts with enemies of their friends.

As the old box of starcraft said: The only allies are enemies. That holds true to CiV therefore I find it quite viable to wieve an intricate weave of pacts. Problem is how will the AI handle it ofc.

Perhaps can use defensive pacts to your advantage.
For example can make a pact with Civ A then bribe Civ B to declare war on Civ A. If you are not friends with Civ B, can declare war without receiving a negative diplomatic modifier from other Civs.

I think it should affect everyone. Friends shouldn't sign defensive pacts with enemies of their friends. Granted, it can be very difficult to tell who will DOW who, but this speaks to a need for more visibility into AI relations.

... which would make for a nice enrichment of the espionage system...

This is all fine and dandy discussion, if it led to a diplomatic victory. However, as it stands currently.
The only time the other proper civs will vote for anyone but themselves is when you or another civ liberates
thier capital. i did find it funny today that while persueing a domination victory, i was able to convince another
civ to dow on another civ.

Granted, I had already taken both of Carthage and the Mayan capitals. It did not like Carthage's city spamming
after the fact. So I took their settler. After a few turns, Dido parlayed for peace. She offered a city for peace.
I countered by dropping the city offer and instead have her Dow on the Mayans. I laughed my butt off!

At least a couple others said it, but I'll say it again: I've almost never, never made a single defensive pact. Only in the days of vanilla, when I was first playing the game, did I try it out. Since probably the first month or two, I've yet to make any more. Mostly for the reasons already raised in other responses did I decide to forego defensive pacts.

As to the question the OP raised on whether BNW will change this issue, I don't know.

This is all fine and dandy discussion, if it led to a diplomatic victory. However, as it stands currently.
The only time the other proper civs will vote for anyone but themselves is when you or another civ liberates
thier capital.

This is a bit of a downer. Think the most AI Civ votes I've ever gotten were 4 out of 12.

thier capital. i did find it funny today that while persueing a domination victory, i was able to convince another
civ to dow on another civ.

Granted, I had already taken both of Carthage and the Mayan capitals. It did not like Carthage's city spamming
after the fact. So I took their settler. After a few turns, Dido parlayed for peace. She offered a city for peace.
I countered by dropping the city offer and instead have her Dow on the Mayans. I laughed my butt off!

Usually if I have good relations with a civ (more than 100 turns) they vote me. Also they will vote you even if they hate you, provided they believe you wont win the elections. But since the diplo victory is getting an overhaul...

The problem is that a defensive pact in civ 5 is a secret pact it seems only you and the AI that signed it knows about it.

You can't see it in the dipomatic info screen so the other AI's doesn't know that you have a defensive pact which causes them to declare war on withouth knowing the conequences.

In civ 4 you coud actually see who has a defensive pact so it actualy made a difference , because the player and the AI would thinx twice before atacking you

So there should be a warning like a declaration of friendship when two civilizations sign a defence pact. It could be a warning around, "X and Y have signed a defence pact swearing to come to the others' aid in times of crisis."

That being said, I believe there should also be a positive diplomatic point (Albeit minor) saying that you have made a defence pact with one of their friends as well as a negative diplomatic point if you make a defence pact with one of their enemies.

While I'm on this, China and I (England) recently went to war with the Ottomans. China never actually sent troops to fight so there should also be a major diplomatic hit for when you don't actually fight during a joint invasion. This can be helped by a window that says you will do support or an actual invasion. As with my fight with the Ottomans, I just had a few submarines and a destroyer watching the Ottoman coastline while a carrier was doing most of the fighting (With planes.)

So there should be a warning like a declaration of friendship when two civilizations sign a defence pact. It could be a warning around, "X and Y have signed a defence pact swearing to come to the others' aid in times of crisis."

That being said, I believe there should also be a positive diplomatic point (Albeit minor) saying that you have made a defence pact with one of their friends as well as a negative diplomatic point if you make a defence pact with one of their enemies.

While I'm on this, China and I (England) recently went to war with the Ottomans. China never actually sent troops to fight so there should also be a major diplomatic hit for when you don't actually fight during a joint invasion. This can be helped by a window that says you will do support or an actual invasion. As with my fight with the Ottomans, I just had a few submarines and a destroyer watching the Ottoman coastline while a carrier was doing most of the fighting (With planes.)

Yeah but you got the 'we fought against a common foe' diplo modifier :lol:
And it might have strained their relations. Not that it is a right implementation but there is a minor benefit.

Top Bottom