Does Anyone Ever Choose "Scarce" Resources?

I love scarce resources. The early game strategy, finding locations for your 2nd, and 3rd cities, is way more of a challenge. I've never done it with raging barbarians, but that sound like a lot of fun.

I never really thought about playing with scarce resources, but this discussion has know inspired me to try. What would be a good civilization to play with in a scarce resources marathon game?

I play quite often with scarce resources, I find the city planing and scouting much more important, the game becomes more strategy based. Good civs are Russia and Iroquois as mentioned and also Arabia later game.

Abundant Resources <------------------------> Scarce Resources
Quick Gamespeed <------------------------> Marathon Gamespeed
Tactical Gameplay <------------------------> Strategic Gameplay

The first two dimensions are key factors in determining the last.

I play ONLY [scarce resources] on [marathon] on [archipelago/fractal].
Was not aware I was crazy...

I believe scarce resources have the same appeal as Ice Age and Sandstorm map types - the fact that people will fight over good spots of land.
That's actually pretty good. Sandstorm is my favorite map type exactly because of that.

Gotta try a Sandstorm with Scarce Resources someday.

I play ONLY [scarce resources] on [marathon] on [archipelago/fractal].
Was not aware I was crazy...

You're not crazy, you just love strategy ;)

Archipelago? Really?
I like to play as many gametypes, setups and speeds as possible. But even to me a archi, scarce, marathon game seems like it would be veeery slow and empty.

Archipelago? Really?
I like to play as many gametypes, setups and speeds as possible. But even to me a archi, scarce, marathon game seems like it would be veeery slow and empty.

I don't play Marathon but, on Archipelago/Scarce Polynesia is fun to play. Crank out 2-4 Scouts (Or as many or as few as you have the patience to control) and they can go exploring, even over Ocean tiles, immediately. Between instant Embarkation and +1 LOS when Embarked you can have the whole map explored before the other Civs can get into deep water.

I never really thought about playing with scarce resources, but this discussion has know inspired me to try. What would be a good civilization to play with in a scarce resources marathon game?

My preference would be France, because the extra culture can get you a settler
quicker, which is imperative in this type of game.

My preference would be France, because the extra culture can get you a settler
quicker, which is imperative in this type of game.

I think Russia is the right answer(double ressources and possibility to sell some horses and easier rush). Askia is not bad too(free MPM and pillaging to relay of the lack of everything else)

On archipelago maps it's definitively Polynesia. For non dlc civs, i go for England if standard or quick speed. Arabia for slower speeds.

Ehm... grammar nazi arrived: :old:

Sparse: Something that is sparse is small in number or amount and spread out over an area.

Scarce: If something is scarce, there is not enough of it.

Just to annoy people...

Ehm... grammar nazi arrived: :old:

Sparse: Something that is sparse is small in number or amount and spread out over an area.

Scarce: If something is scarce, there is not enough of it.

Just to annoy people...

I think setting resources to scarce halves the amount of any strategic deposits. So scarce is appropiate here. (even so, if they are sparse the scarcity will also be higher)

I think setting resources to scarce halves the amount of any strategic deposits. So scarce is appropiate here. (even so, if they are sparse the scarcity will also be higher)

Well name of the option is "sparse" in game. I've chosen sparse resources in many games and it was exactly what it should be. All strategic resources are halved (I saw some 4 horses though) in the amount and they are spread out among the map very widely. Luxury resources are standard in the amount but I rarely saw two luxury resources in starting positions. Second resource is always somewhere near but not in city tiles.

Regarding the option itself:

Scarce Resources => yes!

Why? Because the games aren't dry as described but much more strategic. Instead of having everything at hand and the same old rush for nukes instead you are forced to think and plan... feels more like a good game of chess.

I like to have scarce resources and vary the map type, this makes for a really great challenge!

I agree with Grumpy. What is the merit of playing a game where you have every necessary means to destroy your opponents? I always try weird settings and special conditions on my game setups in order to create more strategic gameplay, that's why I'm a big fan of sandstorm and ice age as well as sparse resources.:cooool:

I usually play with scarce resources on as I hate the late game nuke-fest.

This is also another big reason to choose sparse resources. It also forces the AI to move more strategically and not to nuke spam.

I play every once in a while. There's still plot on the map but instead of having a 6 iron plot it's a 1 or 2 plot

I've finished a marathon game with no wars and scarce resources, science victory.

Yeah...

Tip for scarce marathon games: pick a civ with a UU that has no resource requirement.

I'm currently having a blast as England with longbowmen :)

I'll have to try this out next game. I usually play with Legendary Start so the capital is always a powerhouse. One of the things I love about Civ games is how you can tweak all the world settings.

Does sparse resources only affect strategic resources, or are there few luxury resources as well? How does this impact your start position?

Does anybody know how can I activate scarce resources for BNW?
If that's no longer an option, is there a mod for that?

I don't see a scarce either, but I do see a sparse which I assume they meant. Ill give it a try too it sounds strategic and fun.
"advance setup" button->"resources" drop down->sparse

Top Bottom