Does Attila always end up failing in your game?

GWashington

Warlord
Usually when I play a game with Attila in it (normally on King or Emperor) he doesn't settle any cities except for his capitol. Then, he tries to expand through conquest, which usually leads to his fall pretty early game. Does it happen to anyone else?

I like to play in continents, he doesn't really do anything. Most loyal friend ive ever had though. he even voted for me to rule the world in g&k

He suffers from the same terminal disease as Monty and Ghengis- early aggression causing focus on military instead of science/culture, resulting in small, weak, poorly-improved cities that massively slow him down past the first part of the game. Shaka has an advantage over those others because of his better military bonuses and impis, but he still is rarely a factor after the industrial age, when he just becomes expansion fodder for the strong civs. Impis are great, until they have to face off against riflemen. His situation may be extended if he has good early successes against weak neighbors early on, but I've never seen him be any real danger by later-game.

The problem is Attila likes to raze city because of its UA. What's the point of early war if cities are not kept.

What's the point of early war if cities are not kept.
To strike fear into the hearts of your enemies! :old:

And yeah AI Attila always spam Battering Rams (even on defense!) so if he doesn't take some cities with them early (and keep them) he has nothing going for him for the rest of the game. Horse Archers upgrading into Knights and losing their terrain promotions doesn't help either.

I've seen Atilla twice and notice him fail twice. The first time I saw him he conquered almost every city in the continent that I was in. The second time I encountered Atilla, he only had 2 cities highest military, but lost his cities to me.

Atilla almost always becomes a powerhouse in my games.

It's Genghis who always manages to get himself marginalized. For some reason, he thinks its a brilliant idea to attack random city states even if they are half the continent away. He either attacks a CS and fails, and cripples his economy in the process, or he succeeds and manages to get every other AI to denounce him.

Well, based on my own experiences, I would say Attila is hit or miss, either he creates strong empire because of early conquest, or completely fails and in the best case ends as Pathological State (big army, tragic economy, awful society, world hatred, crazy yet bloody wars with neigbours)

The problem is Attila likes to raze city because of its UA. What's the point of early war if cities are not kept.
Yeah, I don't like when AIs declare war just to raze cities, so I turn city razing off. Cause it's really weird and unrealistic when you see a huge blob of land suddenly go vacant in the 20th/21st century.

In my current game I'm crapping my pants for Atilla. I play a Scrambled Earth map as Netherlands and am located in Panama. West USA has Venice, East USA has Atilla. In South America I have the Maya and India, neither of which pose a threat. Anyway, I have Groningen placed in what is pretty much Texas, and Nijmegen a good bit north of that, close to Venice (who is my ally). Atilla covers the entire East Coast with his 6 cities.
I sent a Chariot Archer to scout his army a bit. 6 Trebuchets, 8 Longswordsmen, 5 Crossbows, a few Horse Archers...and that was what I could count. And he's moving his army towards Groningen. All I got there is a set of walls, a Crossbow and two Pikes...I'm scared...
And that is on KING >.< So yeah, he can definitely pull off something.

Yeah, I don't like when AIs declare war just to raze cities, so I turn city razing off. Cause it's really weird and unrealistic when you see a huge blob of land suddenly go vacant in the 20th/21st century.

Personally, I love all things which enhance dynamism of the game - if AI creates Pathological Nazi State which massively exterminates people, it can lead to very interesting scenarios ;)

I still remember that crazy Zulu Autocratic Empire, which despite (or maybe because of!) giant ideological and economic problems kept razing and razing and razing cities of practically all nations of the world (neighbouring civs on the same continent + "colonies" of civs from the second, much more developed continent), until my Brazil Expeditionary Forces were sent along the ocean to stop that atrocities. Finally, whole world was hostile against Shaka, and I was invading his lands along with Morocco, Shoshone, Portugal, Poland, Maya, liberated Venice and his own rebels :crazyeye:

Personally, I love all things which enhance dynamism of the game - if AI creates Pathological Nazi State which massively exterminates people, it can lead to very interesting scenarios ;)
I wouldn't mind razing if you kept the land you captured with the city (or at least some of it).

The few games I were with Attila he never attacked me, one game he was Isolated in a distant Continent and was backward in all aspects.
But Harald on the other hand did managed to conquer a continent for his own, and there was a game that 3 Civs totally conquered a huge continent in the middle, I think that France was eliminated from the game in proccess.

I find Attila can quite easily wipe out a neighbor early on, however he seems to lose steam before industrial era and never seem to excel at anything even with 2 capitals. Shaka is quite similar, a terror to his neighbors early on but a loser in the lategame.

I find Attila can quite easily wipe out a neighbor early on, however he seems to lose steam before industrial era and never seem to excel at anything even with 2 capitals. Shaka is quite similar, a terror to his neighbors early on but a loser in the lategame.

Yeah, I find most of the warmongers really lose steam later in the game. They charge in, gorge themselves on a neighbor or two, and never really keep up in science or economy after that.

They might be really scary on a 4-person map, but they'll never manage to take a whole 12-person one. The only AI I've ever seen come close was Greece, and that's because he paced himself and kept City-States feeding his empire.

That strikes me as odd. The first game I played as Venice, Shaka went crazy and took over his entire continent, and launched frequent wars with the civs on my continent well into the Modern era. There would have been a full scale world war if he hadn't switched to Freedom and turned friendly at the last moment.

sounds right.

Attila seems to inevitably conquer a city state, at which point the entire world denounces him and his nearest neighbors DoW.

I might crap my pants if I spawn right next to him since he can be beastly in early eras, but once I survive into the Renaissance, I've usually so out-tech'd him that he's nothing but a nuisance.

Yep! Always a meager and inept AI CIV. Should be a powerhouse but it just falls flat on its face in the AI hands. Shame.

Top Bottom