Does... tradition finisher actually work?

Loha4

Chieftain
So there are 2 main parts of the tradition finisher that could be broken in my current game. Based on what it reads as I would expect to receive a 15% growth bonus in my first 4 founded cities and an aqueduct in those same 4. However in my current unmodded Shoshone game I had 3 cities, conquered 3, razed 1 of them and puppeted 2. Then I founded my last settler city expecting a monument and an aqueduct (already have the technology, (FREE) aqueduct is present in my original 3 cities) but when the city founded it only spawned with the (FREE) monument with no aqueduct in sight. I decided to check it was at least getting the 15% growth bonus only to find all 6 of my cities are receiving the 15% growth bonus from tradition.

So the aqueduct just didn't show up, it hasn't appeared in one of the conquered city's (wouldn't expect it too that makes no sense) and my conquered cities are also getting the tradition growth bonus. Does anybody know if that bonus remains on city's if the original founder had it? I can't check if Dido had full tradition any more because I wiped her out but it might be persistent. Either way the aqueduct is in the ether.

Edit: The aqueduct showed up in the 3rd city I took which was the second one I kept... not sure why this policy doesn't function like the free cultural building one.

Legalism and the Tradition finisher is buggy like that. If you were to conquer a city before you've settled your first four, not only will the free monument or aqueduct not appear (occasionally), it also still counts towards the city count. I learned this the hard way after conquering Attila.

By the way, the +15% growth is empire-wide, regardless of how many cities you actually have. The in-game description just has a weird wording for it.

Oh it's empire wide? I never knew that that's sweet even if the free buildings are buggy.

not sure why this policy doesn't function like the free cultural building one.

That would be better. Even worse is if you build an aqueduct in your cap before the finisher. Then you lose the free building. I had expected that building an aqueduct would cause one from the finisher to spawn in my fifth city -- but no.

And while on the subject of bugs, if you're playing a custom civ that has a UB replacement for the Aqueduct ... you'll get Aqueducts and NOT your UB variant

That would be better. Even worse is if you build an aqueduct in your cap before the finisher. Then you lose the free building. I had expected that building an aqueduct would cause one from the finisher to spawn in my fifth city -- but no.

you don't completely lose it, the aqueduct in your capital becomes Free (as in no maintenance) similar to building a Library before the Great library in a city.

Edit: The aqueduct showed up in the 3rd city I took which was the second one I kept... not sure why this policy doesn't function like the free cultural building one.

It could be the 3rd city you kept was Older than the other 1. (that May be how it decides "first four" based on when they were founded, not when you got them)

you don't completely lose it, the aqueduct in your capital becomes Free (as in no maintenance) similar to building a Library before the Great library in a city.

Actually you should get a free hospital/med lab as soon as it's available.

I think that may be a mod problem, since there are no Aqueduct UBs for the unmodded game.

Nope, it's hard coded in the DLL that way.

Top Bottom