dogpiles...

§L¥ Gµ¥

Prince
Ok, I had a weird scenario just happen to me, I'm hopnig approaching ya'll here can offer me some sagely advice to avoid getting dogpiled for the unknown reason I was just dogpiled for.

The game:
Monarch, Hemispheres, normal, standard.

I was playing as Zara, on a continent with Izza, Cathy, and Justinian. Justinian was a non-factor, being boxing in by Izzy far to my south, only 2, maybe 3 cities [one being a worthless island city. I Rex'ed in the early game to take advantage of some prime city sites spanning between jungle to massive floodplains and coastal resources. Having only 9 cities around 1300, but having a tech rate that was almost troublesome due to problems keeping up in infrastructure building, I'd just managed to nab steel off of liberalism. Neglected military [something I normally don't do] in the early game because of the fact buddhism [izzy] being the only religion present on the continent and we were all sharing a love-fest. Anyway, just as I had my first few cannons rolling out of the barracks, with the bad intentions of using them and my oromo warriors conquering a large chunk of land, cathy and izzy declared on me in the same turn. Cathy was sitting at friendly, izzy at pleased. I was behind both in military power, and was so frustrated with this seemingly unfounded DoW, I stopped right there. The only issue I can think of is that when liberalism kicked in, I accidentally went into free religion for 5 turns [finger slipped, honest], allowing my relations with everyone to shift downward for a brief time. Problem was, was that I had been back in pacifism [running a really kickass SE, with a 50% science slider] for at least 3 turns, and consequently, izzy and cathy both being back to pleased and friendly respectively.
I guess what I'm asking is:
Are the game mechanics of AIs declaring war dependent on past relations as well? Or is the decision to declare made a few turns before an actual declaration is made, and that 5 turns not sharing the same religion enough to warrant a 'cautious' and 'pleased' war enemy?

IIRC Izzy and Cathy will both DoW at pleased. Friendly they can both be bribed to DoW on someone, although they may have simply had a pact.

Once they go into WHEOOHRN, they check against all AI's for the most likely target. It may have simply been that you had the worst relations, lowest power, etc. of all nations with whom they were close enough to war with.

In other words, going to Free Religion for just 5 turns probably damaged your relations enough for them to DoW you.

This file (thanks to Dan F., I believe, credit where it is due) may be of some help.

Attachments

• Leaders_AI_doWar.zip
    62.6 KB · Views: 39
They can be in WHEOOH for a few turns. Relations are only important (prepare to DOW/not prepare) when deciding whether or not to enter WHEOOH. When they finally declare you may have them at friendly, it has no more influence.

Top Bottom