Dolen2's Ethnic Diversity

VRAM is always the issue if you import too many graphics item to the game. Solution of this is to make the mod component modular and separated, not a whole bulk like this one or other ED mod.
My USnF mod is already modular thanks to SQL trigger trick, and I can do the same thing to this mod.
It's just the mod is quite complicated because of the amount of unit variations, and it will take a lot of time to rework the code.

Last edited:
How many people use/want to use this mod? I wanted to make an improved version of this mod to augment my Unit Scaling and Formation mod. But it's going to be while since this mod is huge and there are several unit changes with VP.

I actually wanted to do this long ago after I made my USnF mod, but got distracted to other things because I don't think it's worth it because of the SQL complexity that this mod have.
I'd never play Civ 5 without VP, and I love playing with an Ethnic Diversity mod because that greatly increases immersion and makes units so pleasurable to look at. So I know at least I would love if you made an improved version! But I can't really imagine anyone not wanting yer mod. More likely, you'd be everyone's hero. Those old ones on Steam have half a million subscribers between them, and over 20,000 people still play Civ 5 regularly. Your mod would probably actually increase that player base.

How many people use/want to use this mod? I wanted to make an improved version of this mod to augment my Unit Scaling and Formation mod. But it's going to be while since this mod is huge and there are several unit changes with VP.

I actually wanted to do this long ago after I made my USnF mod, but got distracted to other things because I don't think it's worth it because of the SQL complexity that this mod have.

I'd love to see this mod properly optimized and supported!

I'd never play Civ 5 without VP, and I love playing with an Ethnic Diversity mod because that greatly increases immersion and makes units so pleasurable to look at. So I know at least I would love if you made an improved version! But I can't really imagine anyone not wanting yer mod. More likely, you'd be everyone's hero. Those old ones on Steam have half a million subscribers between them, and over 20,000 people still play Civ 5 regularly. Your mod would probably actually increase that player base.
I totally agree. I love VP more than Civ 6 by a long shot. The only reason I am n9t ppaying VP is because I know the current state of ethnic units crashes the game after enlightenment.

Anybody who fixes this would be my hero.

VRAM is always the issue if you import too many graphics item to the game. Solution of this is to make the mod component modular and separated, not a whole bulk like this one or other ED mod.
My USnF mod is already modular thanks to SQL trigger trick, and I can do the same thing to this mod.
It's just the mod is quite complicated because of the amount of unit variations, and it will take a lot of time to rework the code.
Well not only would you be everybody's hero, me personally would go so far as to compensate you with donations. :D

Reactions: MEQ
Well not only would you be everybody's hero, me personally would go so far as to compensate you with donations. :D
Okay, good news is I already set aside all projects and start on reworking the code.
The bad news is it will take a ton of time, since I plan to make it modular.

My plan is you can add any ethnic unit you want. I will make a template for it, so people can easily add their own ethnic unit without opening up the core files. This means it requires manual code writing.
Also make it per-unit, all individual SQL stuff will be on a folder for each unit. So then if you don't want that unit to be loaded to the game, then you can just delete the folder.

Don't worry, don't spare your money because I don't accept any donations. Since this mod is not originally mine, and it's not in any rights for me to take any financial benefits from it.

Okay, good news is I already set aside all projects and start on reworking the code.
The bad news is it will take a ton of time, since I plan to make it modular.

My plan is you can add any ethnic unit you want. I will make a template for it, so people can easily add their own ethnic unit without opening up the core files. This means it requires manual code writing.
Also make it per-unit, all individual SQL stuff will be on a folder for each unit. So then if you don't want that unit to be loaded to the game, then you can just delete the folder.

Don't worry, don't spare your money because I don't accept any donations. Since this mod is not originally mine, and it's not in any rights for me to take any financial benefits from it.
Not all heroes wear capes..

I'm interested in trying your rendition of this mod when you've completed it, but the mod as it stands still works without issue for me - across 2 low end laptops and my new high end PC. Using the graphic settings recommended in the OP, except I changed leadership screen quality from minimum to high. That said, the only other graphics/UI stuff I'm using beyond this are the EUI and Civ 6 styled city names. But even on Huge/12/24/Epic settings on 3.0 I'm not running into the Vram issues. I had them with the original RED, but not Dolen's Ethnic Diversity.

I'm interested in trying your rendition of this mod when you've completed it, but the mod as it stands still works without issue for me - across 2 low end laptops and my new high end PC. Using the graphic settings recommended in the OP, except I changed leadership screen quality from minimum to high. That said, the only other graphics/UI stuff I'm using beyond this are the EUI and Civ 6 styled city names. But even on Huge/12/24/Epic settings on 3.0 I'm not running into the Vram issues. I had them with the original RED, but not Dolen's Ethnic Diversity.
I used RED in the past with my puny 2015 laptop, it still works very well because it doesn't have that many assets as Dolen2's version does.
Unfortunately, RED doesn't include additional units that VP has added. Since RED also changed the scale of the units, those unchanged units look so jarring when compared to others.

While Dolen2's version contains some of them and uses standard scaling, this version contains many unnecessary assets such as Prehistoric Era, Enlightenment Era, and Future Worlds in a single package. So many of them being unused with VP.

I'm trying to change that, and it's almost a total rework of code and structure. With unit scaling now handled by my USnF mod, I can make ED mod just using the default scaling and use USnF mod for custom scaling instead.

I used RED in the past with my puny 2015 laptop, it still works very well because it doesn't have that many assets as Dolen2's version does.
Unfortunately, RED doesn't include additional units that VP has added. Since RED also changed the scale of the units, those unchanged units look so jarring when compared to others.

While Dolen2's version contains some of them and uses standard scaling, this version contains many unnecessary assets such as Prehistoric Era, Enlightenment Era, and Future Worlds in a single package. So many of them being unused with VP.

I'm trying to change that, and it's almost a total rework of code and structure. With unit scaling now handled by my USnF mod, I can make ED mod just using the default scaling and use USnF mod for custom scaling instead.

Ah, I'd forgotten how comprehensive this mod is because I don't use Prehistoric, Enlightenment or Future eras either. Only somewhat related but RED was my introduction to programming because I learned how to use SQL by mirroring the existing code for unit scaling to add scaling to the new units VP added. Sounds like your version will be compatible with USnF, which I'm even more excited for now.

Truth be told for me with high end specs and the setting recommended by the fork I also have no issues playing with the mod ..... except after renaissance or enlightenment. In late game that's when the game really runs into limitations. I'd often get bugged out great war infantry and tanks. The late game experience is what made me abandon ethnic units. I think the ideal compromise would be to maximalize ethnic distinctions for early eras, but gradually reduce distinctions for later era units.

For example I don't think people would mind so much if atomic era and modern era units lacked cultutral distinctions and more or less looked the same, as much as they would be bothered by classical and medieval units looking the same.

Truth be told for me with high end specs and the setting recommended by the fork I also have no issues playing with the mod ..... except after renaissance or enlightenment. In late game that's when the game really runs into limitations. I'd often get bugged out great war infantry and tanks. The late game experience is what made me abandon ethnic units. I think the ideal compromise would be to maximalize ethnic distinctions for early eras, but gradually reduce distinctions for later era units.

For example I don't think people would mind so much if atomic era and modern era units lacked cultutral distinctions and more or less looked the same, as much as they would be bothered by classical and medieval units looking the same.
The easiest way to fix this is to exit the game when you're advancing to later eras (or when you feel the game has started lagging), rename/disable the early era folders (Ancient Era -> Ancient Era blabla), so then the game wouldn't load the contents. But that requires you to fiddle with the mod every time you want to play with it.
Disabling through code wouldn't sufficient since the assets will still load anyway, so renaming the folder is the only way.

I will structure it properly, so then people have the option to optimize the mod performance by disabling each component.

Folder structure:
/Military Units/(Era Name)/Regional/(Region Name)/(Tag for pack*)/(Unit Name)/(individual code and all assets for that unit)
/Military Units/(Era Name)/Civilizations/(Civ Name)/(Tag for pack*)/(Unit Name)/(individual code and all assets for that unit)

*Tag for pack which means that that unit came from a pack or base game DLCs, like Vanilla, G&K, BNW, Vox Populi, Future Worlds, etc.

Last edited:
The easiest way to fix this is to exit the game when you're advancing to later eras (or when you feel the game has started lagging), rename/disable the early era folders (Ancient Era -> Ancient Era blabla), so then the game wouldn't load the contents. But that requires you to fiddle with the mod every time you want to play with it.
Disabling through code wouldn't sufficient since the assets will still load anyway, so renaming the folder is the only way.

I will structure it properly, so then people have the option to optimize the mod performance by disabling each component.

Folder structure:
/Military Units/(Era Name)/Regional/(Region Name)/(Tag for pack*)/(Unit Name)/(individual code and all assets for that unit)
/Military Units/(Era Name)/Civilizations/(Civ Name)/(Tag for pack*)/(Unit Name)/(individual code and all assets for that unit)

*Tag for pack which means that that unit came from a pack or base game DLCs, like Vanilla, G&K, BNW, Vox Populi, Future Worlds, etc.
That sounds much more shrewd and efficient. Indeed, making the experience as modular as possible sounds like the best approach. Perhaps dividing them into eras would be an acceptable compromise? For example in the start of the game I can activate ancient and classical, in the middle of the game I can activate classical, medieval, and renaissance, and so forth. Just when I was going to abandon civ for good because 6 was going the wrong way and 7 is still probably a whole year away, you showed up like a hero. The community really owes you.

That sounds much more shrewd and efficient. Indeed, making the experience as modular as possible sounds like the best approach. Perhaps dividing them into eras would be an acceptable compromise? For example in the start of the game I can activate ancient and classical, in the middle of the game I can activate classical, medieval, and renaissance, and so forth. Just when I was going to abandon civ for good because 6 was going the wrong way and 7 is still probably a whole year away, you showed up like a hero. The community really owes you.
Yes, that's what I aim. So you can toggle the mod to the era you're currently playing.
When you start playing a game, you can activate Ancient, Classical, and Medieval model pack. Then you can do the same thing for later eras by disabling early eras and enabling later eras.

Yes, that's what I aim. So you can toggle the mod to the era you're currently playing.
When you start playing a game, you can activate Ancient, Classical, and Medieval model pack. Then you can do the same thing for later eras by disabling early eras and enabling later eras.
Sounds great to me. Keep it going bro!!

How do you make modded civ compatible with this one? Lets say I want to copy paste german ethnic units to prussian civ.

Registered just to ask if this is still something you are planning :D Would be so awesome

Registered just to ask if this is still something you are planning :D Would be so awesome
Planning? Yes, it's been months. Execution? There was much stuff to sort and test then I got burned out. Sorry.

The code is almost done with only a minor rework but requires some polishing left.

It's the models that I have to rearrange and re-test again. There is a ton of it, and my goal is to make it modular, so I have to separate each model into a new folder. This one is a tiring process since there are models that share textures. Many unnecessary duplications can be cut down, too.

How do you make modded civ compatible with this one? Lets say I want to copy paste german ethnic units to prussian civ.
I will probably make a template for it so then modmodders can easily use this for their custom civ or add their own ethnic units.
As for the Dolen2's version, I think you have to change the civ's ArtStyleSuffix to _GERMANY in Civilizations table.

This mod is the only reason I've reinstalled Civ 5. But it's impossible to play after Gunpowder tech. I have the Lancer CTD too, and I tried to continue without the bigger of three mods: it works, but without ethnic graphic... So sad.
Any news about a fix? I don't ask anything more. No upgrade, no new restyling. I hope only for a fix of this version. Thank u all anyway!

Top Bottom