[R&F] Domination victory on large map?

SaboteurINT

Chieftain
Hi,

Do any of you have ever won:
- domination victory
- normal speed
- emperor or higher
- large map or especially large earth map from Ynamp maps set which is little more than large size.
- all victory types turned on, except score victory which is turned off.
- no mods
- the rest of settings is standard, including no. of civs or CSs

Is that possible at all?
See it problematic due to size of map... but you, computer masters, probably will write that no problems.

It looks very very tough to me. Playing on a huge map for the first time (Immortal). Wasn't sure what victory to go for but I thought the science would be the best bet and that's what I'm going for. It'll be close but I should get there.

Religious, tourist and domination victories seem a very tall order to me. Anyone tried it or even done it?

Generally you'd need to go with epic or marathon speed. It used to be pretty easy but loyalty really slows things down since you're forced to knock out multiple satellites before you can keep a capital from flipping.

I got religious victory on a large map. But it took a lot war fighting to get it.

Hi,

Do any of you have ever won:
- domination victory
- normal speed
- emperor or higher
- large map or especially large earth map from Ynamp maps set which is little more than large size.
- all victory types turned on, except score victory which is turned off.
- no mods
- the rest of settings is standard, including no. of civs or CSs

Is that possible at all?
See it problematic due to size of map... but you, computer masters, probably will write that no problems.

Watch my recent Rome game in the Let's Play and Stories forum section. I won through Space victory but I could of easily ignored it and continue my domination; had only 2 civ capitals left.

Possible, with some qualifiers: Emperor Level, New World, Wet Rainfall, Huge, Contenants. Using Cyrus. Pretty much of a sure thing at this level. The Age & rainfall ups the chance of favorable terrain for production. At Emperor (I doubt this will work on Dety or Immortal), I can usually get "Harvest Goddess", or, failing that, "God of the Sea", if I push hard for religion at the start. (The religion allows maximizing the golden age bonus that allows you to buy builders, settlers, and trade w/faith... I usually grab the "Tithe " & a "Shrines & Temples give Food (or culture)). Thien I grab a religious bldg. tenet, and either cheap missionaries or greater religious pressure...I want the bonus for finishing religion. Chopping the extra terrain generates a hell of a lot of faith; the alternative is to spam harbors, and use the extra production and triade. I also build lots of the Paradiza (sp?) improvements, and do all I can to generate as much trade as possible.

I build scouts, and warriors/slingers (for the eureka when slingers upgrade), but do the bulk of conquest with Immortals, and chariots, which are upgraded to Knights asap. The conquest/exploration starts on turn 1, and never lets up. Oddly enough a delicate balancing of short wars & trading/missions with anyone who will talk with me helps to keep things semi-quiet up until about turn 150...only about 50% of the countries hate me). Governments tend to favor Oligarchy and Merchant Republic. By the time you get to tier 3 government, you should be sitting pretty; probably Mussolini could win now, if you have made it this far.

The loyalty mechanic puts a crimp in domination, but by keeping cities in range (and coastal cities do quite nicely for loyalty....do't quite get why, but the have a better range for loyalty, it appears. The surprise war is a big help...usually by turn 10 I can negotiate peace, and get ready for the next victim.

It requires endless aggression, and the willingness to ignore warmonger status (everyone winds up hating me in the end), AND, I have to (frequently) pump up city population (trade, draining the swamp or chopping rainforest) to keep loyalty pressure up.

I can grab a domination win most of the time. I have to really work at getting golden ages, & not miss possible Eureka, Inspiration, or Age Boosts. It requires very close attention to detail. Sometimes I change production (tiles worked) in a city, on a per-turn basis, and I do not get a cultural or scientific advancement if I don't have the boost. Eternal (world-wide) Goodie hut hunts are mandatory, as well as barbarian wars...I love those barbs! It requires a hell of a lot more micromanagement than I am used to...I sometimes avoid getting an achievement if I already have enough for a golden age, and use it for the coming era.

This works great a King, and I was able to move it to Emperor with little difficulty. Although I have almost 2500 hours on Civ 6, very little of it is R&F (maybe 100), so I have not tried any Immortal or Diety runs. I suspect that would short-circut the benefit I get from early religion, as well as making it harder to stay alive as such a predatory neighbor. This also works with Rome, Germany, Cree, and Australia, as well as Rusia & Suneria. Please let me know what you think.

Definitely doable. Like the previous poster stated, Persia is perhaps the best choice. Just keep rolling from one surprise war to the next. There doesn’t even need to be a reason, and the civ doesn’t have to on your borders, just declare it for extra movement, flank and slaughter your current foe. When the 10 turns of free movement expire, make peace, surprise war another AI, wait 10 turns, make peace, then surprise war surprise war the AI you made peace with the 1st time. Repeat as necessary. This will give you the movement you need to win wars expediently.

I had a lot of luck with Chandragupta myself. His UA is really similar to Darius and it's easy to declare wars of territorial expansion which helps tone down the hate a tad. Those elephants are too slow in Ghandis hands but they're powerful in Chandragupta's. They have great staying power too if you rush corps as fast as possible.

Another good Civ to try is Poland. You have to work harder in the early game but if you focus on faith and culture you can rush mercenaries ASAP and unleash a wave of Hussars. Their STR and mobility allow them to crush cities and move on quickly. Make sure you build the GMC right away so you can faith buy Hussars. Usually you can get to the point where you can buy one every other turn fairly quickly.

Gotta try Chandra....sounds like a lot of fun. I can now reliably stomp the AI (on Emperor) as Persia, Rome, Cree, & Germany. Still, there are enough sticky spots to make it challenging...has anyone else run into problems with ages? I am not sure of the mechanics, but it appears that, after a golden age, it is easier to slip into a dark age, unless one is very careful. This seems to happen most often if I choose the Golden Age option that allows me to buy settlers, builders, and traders for Faith. (I am thinking that s because this choice eliminates the easy age perks for Inspirations, Eurekas, or Districts). I (almost) prefer to avoid the Golden Age, or at least the option to buy builders w/ Faith. That said, I like the new mechanics, as it makes me work harder on both loyalty & age score. Still do-able...not sure how that will hold on Immortal. (ALTHOUGH....I have found that the higher levels (6, 7, & 8), seem to offer more opportunities for early aggression; I rarely avoid a chance to steal a unit (builder/settler/Barbarian). :p

Gotta try Chandra....sounds like a lot of fun. I can now reliably stomp the AI (on Emperor) as Persia, Rome, Cree, & Germany. Still, there are enough sticky spots to make it challenging...has anyone else run into problems with ages? I am not sure of the mechanics, but it appears that, after a golden age, it is easier to slip into a dark age, unless one is very careful. This seems to happen most often if I choose the Golden Age option that allows me to buy settlers, builders, and traders for Faith. (I am thinking that s because this choice eliminates the easy age perks for Inspirations, Eurekas, or Districts). I (almost) prefer to avoid the Golden Age, or at least the option to buy builders w/ Faith. That said, I like the new mechanics, as it makes me work harder on both loyalty & age score. Still do-able...not sure how that will hold on Immortal. (ALTHOUGH....I have found that the higher levels (6, 7, & 8), seem to offer more opportunities for early aggression; I rarely avoid a chance to steal a unit (builder/settler/Barbarian). :p
I gave Chandra a go recently on a TSL earth map, but scrapped the game due to a lack of amenities in the area (a bunch of silk and not much else). The Varu effective (but a bit slow). I think if you use your faith buy builders to chop for high adjacency districts that give you era score, or settlers to found cities near wonders the option can be a positive in multiple ways (more era score and the yield from the high adjacency districts).

Big thing with Chandra is making sure to use the territorial expansion CB constantly. A lot of the time I juggled two front wars. DoW one neighbor, go to war 10 turns and then DoW a second neighbor. That way you get 20 straight turns out of his UA. Without his UA the elephants are definitely too slow.

This means you need enough units to fight on 2 or more fronts. The stepwell and GMC are great for this. Add in all the holy sites you cap from AI and it's easy to faith buy massive armies.

He still racks up a bunch of hate but it's slower than Darius and I think the longer you can keep a few trading partners the better.

Top Bottom