Don't understand what's required to trade resources and luxuries.

alwayswarring

Chieftain
Hi. I have not figured out the ins and outs of trading. I understand that I need a connected road route for luxuries but why are resources often not available to trade when the luxuries are? Thanks.

I'm playing Civ 3 so I need help for that game please.
Welcome to CivFanatics! Good to see you asking questions over in the Civ3 forums.

To answer this question -- roads. In Civ3, to be able to trade a strategic or luxury resource, you need to both:
- Have a road built to the resource, in the space claimed by a city. Building a city on the resource counts
- Have a land route (more roads) or a sea route (harbor or coastal city) that connects your cities to an AI you want to trade with

You can only trade strategic and luxury resources. Bonus resources can not be traded.

To make a resource available to your own town(s) it needs to be connected to your town(s): either simply by road (if within your borders), or roaded and Colonised by a Worker (if still outside your borders).

To trade resources to another Civ, there needs to be a continuous/ visible trade-route from the resource to your capital, and between your capital and your potential trade-partner's. For pure overland routes, that means a continuous road.

For water-trade it's a little different. Coast-tiles can be traded across once there is a Harbor at both ends (i.e. Mapmaking is known by both trade-partners), but you can only trade resources over water once you've mapped a clear route from one of your Harbour-towns (marked with an anchor), to a Harbour-town owned by that potential partner (or by a neighbour they are not currently at war with).

However, Sea-tiles can only be traded across after at least one trade-partner (you or the AI-player) has learned Astronomy, and trading over Ocean-tiles requires Navigation (optional) or Magnetism (required for era-advance). If you're still behind in tech, watch out for Wonder-building popups (or press F7) to see when Copernicus (Astro) and Magellan (Navi) have been started by an AI, to let you know when those Techs have been learned.

But you need to be careful when making resource trade-deals, especially during the early game. All deals must run for at least 20 turns, but overland trade-routes can be blocked or cut by Barbs or enemy units, and Coastal tiles can likewise be blocked by hostile ships. And if your partner loses their Harbour (or access to a foreign Harbour) while you're shipping goods to them, you will be held responsible for breaking the trade-deal.

Last edited:
Also, you can't trade resources if the AI civs don't have the prerequisite techs for them. For example, if you want to buy iron from someone who has iron visibly connected but does not know iron working, you are out of luck. They don't know they have it, so they can't trade it. Sometimes it is worth gifting them the needed technology and sometimes it is not.

Another reason resources are not available to trade is because the other civ already has access to those resources. This applies to luxuries as well. If they already have access to it, then it won't show up in the list of possible trades.

Top Bottom