[BNW] Dorian's Europe 1444

nguyenforthewin13

Chieftain

Dorian's Europe 1444 is a mod that creates a European scenario in the year 1444, and is based off of the main start in the game Europa Universalis IV, which begins the day after the Battle of Varna. The map used in this scenario, Dorian’s Europe, was made by Faremout'Games and can be found on the Steam Workshop.
There are 22 playable Civs, which are the following:

1. France
2. England
3. The Ottomans
4. The Timurids
5. The Mamluks
6. Castile
7. Denmark
8. Sweden
9. Burgundy
10. Muscovy
11. Poland
12. Hungary
13. The Qara Qoyunlu
14. Austria
15. Venice
16. Morocco
17. Portugal
18. Savoy
19. The Great Horde
20. Brandenburg
21. Byzantium
22. The Songhai

In addition to these Civs, there are also 41 City-States in the scenario, which represent the other major countries of the era (such as Lithuania, Aragon, and Novgorod). Moreover, it is possible for all the Civs to annex these City-States through Diplomatic Marriage (Iberian Wedding or Poland-Lithuania, anyone?)

Knowing that the fact all Civs can Diplo-Marry makes the Austrian UA defunct, I’ve changed that Civ’s UA accordingly. Actually, I’ve done more than just that - I’ve changed many other Civs’ UA’s as well to better reflect their strengths during the era, and when I update this mod in the near future, many of these Civs will also have UU and UB changes (I’m mostly looking at Hungary, which unfortunately still has obsolete Greek Companion Cavalry and Hoplites). In addition, many of the leaders’ flavors and attitudes have changed also, so do not expect Philip II of Burgundy to naval spam like William of the Netherlands from the base game, or the Mamluk leader Qansuh al-Ghawri to hog Wonders like Ramesses. In fact, some of these Civs’ flavors and biases have been modified so that they are now much more aggressive toward their neighbors, City-States included... *Muscovy* *cough* *Ottomans* *cough* *cough* God forbid that somebody attempts playing Byzantium on Deity.

Also, if you want to be extra-historic, you can now move your capital thanks to code incorporated from framedarchitecture's Move Capital mod. Good if you want to relocate the royal court from Krakow to Warsaw, or if you would like to make Constantinople... a little more Turkish. Note that relocating the capital leads to one turn of anarchy.

The scenario runs on Marathon speed to ensure extra immersion in the eras and so that you have as much time as possible to move your units across the map and go about killing things. Furthermore, even though the game is on Marathon speed, unit Production, Faith, and Gold costs are acutally those from Quick speed, meaning wars can become very big and very interesting, very fast. Thank you to Primogenitor for that bit of modding code.

Oh, and there is religion in this mod. It's not exactly a big thing yet, but every city on the map does have its historical religion in 1444 (those religions being Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Sunni Islam, and Shia Islam). Perhaps in the future I will be able to add in a Protestant Reformation and diplomatic maluses/bonuses between Civs of same/different faiths, but unfortunately at the moment I do not have the modding expertise to do that. For the time being though, feel free to Deus Vult as much as possible.

This mod will require the Islamic Denominations (Historical Religions) for its scenario. It also requires the G&K and BNW expansions and the Mongolia, Denmark, Spain and Inca, and Babylon DLCs. Expect updates.
Thank you to the Steam users Faremout'Games, framedarchitecture, DJSHemminger, janboruta, Pouakai, Stephen, dustin.sutton26, and Primogenitor for their various mods on the Workshop whose art and coding I incorporated into this mod. It certainly would not have been possible to make this mod without the fantastic work of these modders and others in the Civ V modding community.

P.S. I played through a bit, and found that this mod is perfectly compatible with the Civ IV Diplomatic Features mod. It does make things a tad more intriguing.

Attachments

• Dorian's Europe 1444.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 946
This is a great mod!
Really hope there will be future updates.

Last edited:
To nguyenforthewin13,
Hello. I recently downloaded your "Dorian's Europe 1444" mod. I very much like it, however there seems to be an issue with the preset religion loadout; the holy cities for each religion appear to implement in my games, but the normal cities do not have any religious followers, causing any civ with faith yields to found a pantheon instead of having their cities follow Catholicism, for example. I noticed that this is not the case for your screenshots, so I was wondering if you could take a look at the WorldReligionSetup.lua file from the zip file you uploaded to see if there are any discrepancies, or if it is just a glitch on my games. I have restarted and played more than once, though I have experienced some crashes after launching, which may support that it could be a glitch or bug on my end.
Also, I noticed that you stated on the download page that you have implemented CS diplomatic marriage for all civs, however I do not see the option to do that for allied city states.
Despite the issues it is still a great mod and interesting to play.
Thank you,
-Ericthometer.
(I have also made a post on the r/civ5 reddit, in case there is anyone on there who can find an issue.)
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ5/comments/iesn80/dorians_europe_1444_mod_world_religion_setup_issue/

Top Bottom