Dot Mapping Suggestions

Nials

Prince
Howdy CFC!

Long time lurker and not much of a poster here.

I returned to Civ IV: BtS not long ago and have so far only finished one Noble game on Epic speed, which I won through Domination somewhere around 1830 AD.

I want to get a few more Noble games finished before I move up to Prince so last night I started another game on Noble/Epic/Fractal. Picked random leader and I got Roosevelt. It didn't take long before I realized that Stalin and I were alone on a pretty large island, so my plan was to remove him and REX afterwards.

It's 1075BC, I've just captured Moscow and razed two other coastal cities that were in poor positions. Stalin's last city, Novgorod, is about to fall to my Axe stack, but I'm unsure of whether I should keep it.

Basically, I would love to get some input on city locations or maybe even a dotmap, as I'm really not sure about how this island should be settled. I'm thinking of making Washington the SCC and Moscow my HE city, but other than that I'm really not sure where to settle other cities.

Attachments

• Roosevelt BC-1075.CivBeyondSwordSave
    112.7 KB · Views: 62
Not much time, so no full dotmap. Some quick tips.

Absolutely keep Novgorod, strong location for commerce or production. Moscow as production center is good, so I would go with cottaging the grasslands at Novgorod, but there's a lot of hills there too.

Building any more axes is total folly with the great wall enabled. Set capital to max food and start worker/settler after it grows (your happy cap will lift in a few turns).

Suggest next cities -
S of Washington, 1N of the wheat
Somewhere NE of washington with pigs/silver (more :) and commerce
SW of Novgorod, fish/gold

Since all of these locations have precious metals, they will be profitable near-immediately. The coastal cities will link up your empire without the pain of having to fogbust/defend a long road from DC to Moscow.

Can you help a lazy guy out and post some screenies? (I already have a game going and my comp is fickle about restarting after playing uploaded saves.)

@timmy827 - Alright, thanks for the tips. The reason I thought about razing Novgorod was that I wanted to settle 1W of the Copper near it to claim Pigs and Wheat, but that would make a pretty crappy city anyway, so I guess keeping it is much better as Copper is already secured.

@Gwynnja - Sure, I didn't include screenshots at first because I figured it would be too much spam given the shape of the island, but here goes ;)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 117
Hi there, I'm sorry this doesn't have anything to do with your post, but by any chance could you inform me where can I get the mod you're using to know the turns for GP/GG and the other extras you got?

I can't seem to find anything and I think it's awesome, thank you so much :)

~dz~

Well, nevermind, I just installed the latest patch and it seems I have everything I wanted.

Merry XMAS! :D

Just for good measure I will mention that I am playing with the BUG mod, which can be downloaded here

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=274636

Since all of these locations have precious metals, they will be profitable near-immediately. The coastal cities will link up your empire without the pain of having to fogbust/defend a long road from DC to Moscow.

This is very true. I followed your city placement tips and even though I've settled 7 cities by 1 AD, I'm still in the black with the slider running at 70% science. Granted, I do have some courthouses and cottages in place. My GNP is by far and away at the top.
The coastal cities are a great help in spreading the trade routes and resources around without having to defend roads.
I've also met Shaka, his Workboat came over for a visit, so it appears that I am not completely isolated. Yay for a settled GSpy not being completely worthless ;) Damn bloke is stingy with techs, though I seem to have a tech lead on him. However, he does have a power lead so I better reinforce my military soon or a DoW could be coming my way.

Top Bottom