Down at Fractal Rock - My First PBEM

Armor (Veteran)

Warlord
Hello and welcome to my first PBEM. A few of the players have done this before, but this will be the first PBEM (or even multiplayer game) for others. Looking forward to whatever happens :)

After some back-and-forth with everyone, here are my proposed settings:
  • Standard BTS (no mods)
  • Number of players - 8 human (no AI)
  • Map Size - Standard
  • Map Type - Fractal (created by 3rd party - see note below)
  • Speed - Normal
  • Sea Level - Medium
  • Era - Ancient
  • Worldwrap - Cylindrical
  • Resources - Balanced
  • Difficulty - Noble
  • Barbs - Normal
  • Leaders/Civ - Random for everyone (among normal restricted leaders)

Along with the following options enabled:
  • No Technology Trading
  • No Random Events
  • No Tribal Villages
  • No Vassal States

To eliminate the risk of isolated Civs, we'll have someone not in the game create a suitable map. That way we can ensure everyone is at least reachable via galley, and that the starts are fairly balanced.

Here is the current Player list and turn order:
  1. grogburg of Inca (GMT-5: early evenings)
  2. Armor (Veteran) of Zulu (GMT -6: early morning or evenings)
  3. ricketyclik of the Khmer (GMT +10: late morning/early afternoon, early evenings)
  4. ruff_hi of the Dutch (GMT ??: ??)
  5. psza of Native America (GMT +-??: ??)
  6. Phylhom of Japan (GMT -3: evenings)
  7. Rodrigo Costa of America (GMT +-??:??)

Last edited:
I normally play at night. I can to play once a day or more, but sometimes I need more than one day to play, generally at the weekends.

Hey, I'd pretty much like to join in.

I'm at GMT-3 and usually play around midnight.

I'm not very experienced at multiplayer civ games, but I've been playing with some nice guys around and I won't screw things up. I'm quite familiar with all kinds of civ, on the other hand (not much for civ5 and still haven't got BE).

So, can you open one more slot for me? I've been waiting for a game like this to appear on this forum for some time now...

Hey, I'd pretty much like to join in.

I'm at GMT-3 and usually play around midnight.

I'm not very experienced at multiplayer civ games, but I've been playing with some nice guys around and I won't screw things up. I'm quite familiar with all kinds of civ, on the other hand (not much for civ5 and still haven't got BE).

So, can you open one more slot for me? I've been waiting for a game like this to appear on this forum for some time now...

I think we can open another slot...I don't think the map has been created yet. With 6 Civs we can probably go back up to a standard-size map. We'd even have room for a 7th Civ if anyone else chimes in before we get rolling.

Hi, if there's still time for the 7th slot I'll play.

I'm GMT-0, and usually play early morning or early evening.

Hi, if there's still time for the 7th slot I'll play.

I'm GMT-0, and usually play early morning or early evening.

Excellent. That gives us a full set of 7 Civs on a standard-size map.

If anyone else comes along after this point that wants to be a standby/sub, just PM me, and I'll reach out to you later if we ever need one. I think 7 Civs is the max I want to do for this game.

Why not 8 civs on a standard map size if one more player appear?

This game will be a great game!!!

For the next two weeks I can play pretty much any time between 8 AM and 8 PM. Then I go back to work and early mornings and early evenings will work best.

Looking forward to it!

hi guys!
if you are interested in an eight player, count me in.
gmt -3 here. early morning or early evening

I can do the map if you want, but I've never done it so I'm not sure how to do it. Do I start a single player map, change it in the WB then save it and load it as a MP game ?

I can do the map if you want, but I've never done it so I'm not sure how to do it. Do I start a single player map, change it in the WB then save it and load it as a MP game ?

I think we have someone already working on the map, but I'll let you know if that falls through.

Your procedure is how I would go about doing it (with a healthy amount of regenerating until I get something close to what I'm looking for). Though I'm by no means an expert on map-making :)

I think we have someone already working on the map, but I'll let you know if that falls through.

Your procedure is how I would go about doing it (with a healthy amount of regenerating until I get something close to what I'm looking for). Though I'm by no means an expert on map-making :)

I asked Adrienlier; he is our guy doing the map. He should be able to get things done quickly. :p

Sorry bit of confusion there dude.

Ok specs that have been decided seem to be along the lines of:

Huts, and normal barbs.
No TT, no vassals, no events.
Normal speed.

As for the map there was preference for fractal on a standard size med sea type appeal for 8 players now. Along the lines of everyone reachable on land, but with overseas islands, some galleyable and some not. Cylindrical wrap. Fairly, but not obsessively balanced. Balanced resources would be a good start and evening up early food etc and distance between people. But play your hand as you wish.

Sorry bit of confusion there dude.

Ok specs that have been decided seem to be along the lines of:

Huts, and normal barbs.
No TT, no vassals, no events.
Normal speed.

As for the map there was preference for fractal on a standard size med sea type appeal for 8 players now. Along the lines of everyone reachable on land, but with overseas islands, some galleyable and some not. Cylindrical wrap. Fairly, but not obsessively balanced. Balanced resources would be a good start and evening up early food etc and distance between people. But play your hand as you wish.

That sounds about right. Though do we want to go Huts off as well?

I can do the map tomorrow, and send it to Calanthian for doublecheck.

I would prefer that, although it was said huts would be on. Also I forgot to ask can everyone be made a scout start?

I hadn't really thought about huts until I started this thread. But if we're turning off other things that can randomly unbalance things in the early turns, we should probably turn Huts off as well.

Scout starts for everyone sounds like a good idea as well. Since everyone will be fairly close, someone starting with a scout while the neighbor has a warrior could make it a short game indeed for the scout person :lol:

Top Bottom