Drug References

Lyoncet

Emperor
So I just noticed on D2D that the ESRB cited "drug references" in their rating of 10+. Anybody know where that would come from? Do they quote Bob Marley in one of the techs? Or, I don't know, have an Opiates wonder that lets you ruin the economy and culture of a rival civ? Are they just talking about Penicillin???

I kid of course, but seriously, where are there drug references?

So I just noticed on D2D that the ESRB cited "drug references" in their rating of 10+. Anybody know where that would come from? Do they quote Bob Marley in one of the techs? Or, I don't know, have an Opiates wonder that lets you ruin the economy and culture of a rival civ? Are they just talking about Penicillin???

I kid of course, but seriously, where are there drug references?

I believe in the Civilipedia they mention the Opium trade or Opium war.

That counts as a drug reference? That's pushing it a bit IMO, especially since it's not even part of gameplay and you have to dig to find someone mention it. But I guess that's why I'm not on the ESRB. :lol:

Yes, because people selling to kids really really want to hide the idea that their game has drug references or violence.

Because kids would *never* want to play a game that had those in it...

It's been discussed, and yes it is dumb. I'm just amazed they didn't find any sexual references. Didn't Catherine make a suggestive remark in Civ4?

This is sort of related to the topic, but I always wanted to see tobacco and opium as resources in history. Kind of ironic because I hate tobacco and drugs in real life, but they were HUGE parts of history, and integral parts of many civilizations. Hell there was a war between two world powers over opium.

My theory is theres a couple of reasons its not in there.

1. Not enough room to include every important aspect of history/civilizations in the game.

2. They are hesitant to offending anyone or turning off overprotective mothers or those easily offended. (Might be the same reason why hitler wasnt included as a leader arguably one of the most influential (although evil) leaders in history).

But now seeing your post that this game has drug references mentioned already, why not sin boldly and just put in opium and tobacco as resources.

It's been discussed, and yes it is dumb. I'm just amazed they didn't find any sexual references. Didn't Catherine make a suggestive remark in Civ4?

Hahahah that slag is really funny!

"Is that a treaty in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

"Now here's a politician even I wouldnt sleep with."

Congratulations! Your civilization has discovered 'weed'.

1.) Pay 49 gold to equip every citizen with pipes to 'experience' 3 points of psychadelic happyness.
2.) Gain 1 gold per turn selling this wonderful new product.
3.) No, drug use is immoral. Military units gain a random promotion.

This is sort of related to the topic, but I always wanted to see tobacco and opium as resources in history. Kind of ironic because I hate tobacco and drugs in real life, but they were HUGE parts of history, and integral parts of many civilizations. Hell there was a war between two world powers over opium.

My theory is theres a couple of reasons its not in there.

1. Not enough room to include every important aspect of history/civilizations in the game.

2. They are hesitant to offending anyone or turning off overprotective mothers or those easily offended. (Might be the same reason why hitler wasnt included as a leader arguably one of the most influential (although evil) leaders in history).

But now seeing your post that this game has drug references mentioned already, why not sin boldly and just put in opium and tobacco as resources.
They didn't include hitler because Germany is a pretty big customer base for Civ.

That's not why Hitler isn't in the game.

Congratulations! Your civilization has discovered 'weed'.

1.) Pay 49 gold to equip every citizen with pipes to 'experience' 3 points of psychadelic happyness.
2.) Gain 1 gold per turn selling this wonderful new product.
3.) No, drug use is immoral. Military units gain a random promotion.

4.) Duuuuuuuudeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Had to do it :D

A bit offtopic but I've always wanted to be able to play evil, rogue states. Drugs, arms trade, mafia, forgery, smuggling, so on so forth. The price to it would be of course a detestable reputation among world leaders (Kim Jong-Il, someone?)

A bit offtopic but I've always wanted to be able to play evil, rogue states. Drugs, arms trade, mafia, forgery, smuggling, so on so forth. The price to it would be of course a detestable reputation among world leaders (Kim Jong-Il, someone?)

might make an interesting mod

Because he isn't the best German ruler. He might be the most famous (or infamous), but hardly the best.

Now if he had won the war...

Top Bottom