Early Buildings Obsolete?

monarch1st

Chieftain
It's later game (i'm about halfway thru the 'modern' techs; plastics, genetics, etc), and it's not allowing some early buildings to be built. Library and market for a couple, but there are others (forge, courthouse), i.e. almost all the early buildings.
Do they expire or are obsoleted in this version? I don't see anywhere it says they are, or when, but I can't build them now.

They don't expire or obsolete, I just double-checked the XML. And if they did, the game would display that info on them automatically.

You do get some of the core starter buildings for free when founding new cities when you're past certain Eras, which would make them unbuildable since they're already there, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Ah, shoulda thot of that.
Is there a notice somewhere when this happens?
No there isn't, heh. To be honest this is SUCH an old mechanic I had totally forgotten about it til you asked lol.

The base un-modded plain vanilla Civ4 game does this as well, but only with a couple of buildings. Back in the VERY early days of MongooseMod (5 to 8 to 10 years ago), I expanded the list to include several more, and changed some of the Eras that grant them for free as well - though I can't remember if I moved them forward or back, so probably a bit of both.

But yes, because it's a vanilla mechanic there's no notice. I guess they just assumed that the PLAYERS would assume that some stuff should be free when founding new cities late-game. I could add a notice, and probably should, but I'm kinda on vacation for a while catching up on tons of other stuff, heh. I'll add it to my notes. :)

Top Bottom