early rushes??

NaZdReG

Warmonger
I've been so far unable to successfully rush the ai with either legions or horsemen.

does anyone have input on this? if you spawn a horseman from a hut do you switch to HBR to try to make an early army? or do you beeline for iron working to get legions?

is it possible to get an army of either up and running before they have an army of archers on defense?

NaZ

go arabs (fundamentalism gives warriors an attack of 2) and build a couple warrior armies, I managed to conquer 2 of the 4 AI's before they got enough arches to fight back.

With the aztecs you can start rushing units from turn one, you can get an army of warriors in three turns. I've managed to take two AI capitals with one warrior army on each, they each had 1 warrior as defense (and one warrior wandering around outside). The third AI had an archer army, but by then i had several warrior armies and had built a city next to his with a road. This was on king though, not sure how it is on deity but without cheating the first two couldn't possibly have had any more

Don't wait until you get legions or horsemen, rush right away. Focus on production.

I've only had success (on Emperor) rushing Aztecs, or even better, the Arabs. Should be noted, I've only played with each civ once because I'm trying to hit them all before specializing. With the Aztecs, not having to heal allows the warriors to mow things down quick. Get veteran on some barb huts, army up, get elite by taking out your first civ (infiltration or blitz is a HUGE boost). I was not very good when I tried this as the Aztecs (first attempt) but with the Arabs I was able to take out two civs with the warrior armies, and then I raced to used catapults with the Arabs (am I remembering correct that they get mathematics for free?).

As was said above though, no need to expand - if you can take over two capital cities you'll get a couple really nice boost to your production.

And forget about the 100 gold settler, just focus on rushing units.

Germany can be pretty nice too, getting two or three ninja warrior armies shouldn't be too hard, and when you then get iron-working they'll get upgraded to powerful ninja legion armies.

Rushes online generally work better than against the computer, in my opinion. A lot of people online seem to believe there's some code that says you can't attack someone right away, so they leave their capital undefended, or maybe just a lone warrior there. It's so easy I almost feel guilty. :)

On Deity for me, early rushing has not worked... but if their is a civ close to me and I can get to them before 2600, I will try to rush a warrior army. After 2600 I've never had success...

Rushing against the AI is very luck-dependent. You need to find the enemy city right away and not waste time getting your warrior army there, or they will have an archer army waiting for you.

Rushing one civ is hard, rushing two civs is lucky.

yeah I have to agree with lucky. I was able to get the 1000ad victory achievement on emperor with the aztecs by sheer luck

found the relic that gives you a wonder, gives me the pyramids

at the same time I had 3 warriors heading west, 1 of them ended up getting attacked twice by barbs so ended up with blitz and infiltration

when I found ghandi I went.. well what the hell why not

so I armied up and assaulted him. with fundamentalism my army was base 6 +50% so base 9 against 2 single archers. ghandi's captitol fell in 2 turns

a hut gave me horseback riding for free, and I had found mao. I tried something sneaky since I was flush with gold from huts. built a road from ghandi's capitol to mine. and ran a settler with the warriors towards mao. settled 2 squares from his capitol and built a road.

started rushing horses up there. 3 turns later I had 2 armies of 3 and the warriors. assaulted from a hill next to his capitol and had used a fortunate spy to break out his defenders.

his capitol fell next

between then and 1000 ad I took out the russians, and teched catapults to finish off rome.

never rushed like that before.. was totally lucky because of the free pyramids, free HBR, lucky with the warriors etc. not a strat to count on but I'll take the achievement

but this makes me think the arabs are more scary than the germans even. immediately entering medieval and having access to fundamental catapults.. naaasty.

just rex a bit and focus on hut popping. pre build wonders or something in 3 cities. hit medieval and switch build to catapults. hopefully you've stockpiled enough hammers that you'll be finishing 2 from each. hit someone right at start of medieval with 2 armies of fundamentalism catapults backed up by a squad of defensive archers... naaaasty

NaZ

Also, past a certain difficulty level it's pointless attacking a city with just one troop/army. Between each turn the AI will be able to rush-build a unit.

unless you're aztecs, who don't have to heal but just keep pounding over and over until your cities fall. if they counterattack and fail, then you have a good chance of getting a general.

In Deity, I did manage to rush 2 AI with the first AI only have 1 city
and the second AI early in their 2nd city.
I was using Arab...

Top Bottom