East Asia Mod testing

Well, I had a decent game going as the Indus at Monarch, until every effin' NPC I had diplomatic contact with declared war on me. Even my allies turned against me, basically all at once. Time to start over.

Comments: Indus valley civ is able to grow pretty easily due to location, since it has a relatively large area it can expand into with little competition for quite a while. The easy access to copper is also nice, though the lack of horses and elephants does present a military challenge. Lots of cotton for trading, if you can find anyone to trade with. The nearest stone is far enough in the mountains that there's no way to make wonders and buildings that require that resource before they'll all be built by someone else.

Time to try someone else!

EDIT: The problem I noted above (and have had in the past), where every AI civ forms a military alliance against me, would be prevented by separating the ability to negotiate right of passage agreements and the ability to negotiation military alliances. I've liked that aspect of TAM, since it drastically cuts down on the "piling on" the AI likes to do at times. IDK what impact it may have at higher difficulty levels, or when following different strategies, though.

I'm playing as the Qin, and it's 680 BC now. I just noticed that I'm unable to build anymore workers.

Is this a set in option, or is it a bug?

--------------------------------------------

Edit: This is a great scenario by the way.

Well, I had a decent game going as the Indus at Monarch, until every effin' NPC I had diplomatic contact with declared war on me. Even my allies turned against me, basically all at once. Time to start over.

Comments: Indus valley civ is able to grow pretty easily due to location, since it has a relatively large area it can expand into with little competition for quite a while. The easy access to copper is also nice, though the lack of horses and elephants does present a military challenge. Lots of cotton for trading, if you can find anyone to trade with. The nearest stone is far enough in the mountains that there's no way to make wonders and buildings that require that resource before they'll all be built by someone else.

Time to try someone else!

EDIT: The problem I noted above (and have had in the past), where every AI civ forms a military alliance against me, would be prevented by separating the ability to negotiate right of passage agreements and the ability to negotiation military alliances. I've liked that aspect of TAM, since it drastically cuts down on the "piling on" the AI likes to do at times. IDK what impact it may have at higher difficulty levels, or when following different strategies, though.
Thanks for the nice comments. I guess I could seperate RoP and MA. Though I would like to keep MA in the first age.

Hey Yoda Power....It has occured to me that I made a Burmese Leaderhead awile back. Heres a preview of it:

pic

You can download it here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2934&act=down

First two eras are suitable for your mod.
Sorry, but it has some graphical errors that made me not use it.

I'm playing as the Qin, and it's 680 BC now. I just noticed that I'm unable to build anymore workers.

That's a bug. I can be fixed though. Thanks for reporting.

BTW you should be able to build workers in cities not connected to horses.

Well, first things first. Thanks a bunch to Yoda Power and all the rest who contributed to this mod, it's great!

I have a couple bugs to report:
-I ran into the same problem as Tank_Guy#3, though I guess you have that covered.
-When I try to build the "Stupa of Sanchi" wonder the game crashes. The game will work right up to the beginning of the turn that it is done being built in, as its going through all your cities and showing what they built (if they built something...).

I'm looking forward to the final version, thanks again.

Hello Yoda, I´m playing with Nippon in the real map and my workers can upgraded to Horse Archers:confused:

Fantastic mod, thanks

Yes, I did get an error message. It wasn't very descriptive though, just something along the lines of:

civilization.exe has encountered an error and needs to be closed...

I tried looking for the actual error report text file but couldn't find it. I could try to send you my save game if you think that would help.

Hello Yoda, I´m playing with Nippon in the real map and my workers can upgraded to Horse Archers:confused:

Fantastic mod, thanks
Yes this is the problem. I'll make sure to fix it. ;)

Yes, I did get an error message. It wasn't very descriptive though, just something along the lines of:

civilization.exe has encountered an error and needs to be closed...

I tried looking for the actual error report text file but couldn't find it. I could try to send you my save game if you think that would help.

If you couldpost the game I would be grateful. :)

I e-mailed it to the address in your profile. Well hopefully I did, my hotmail account has been a little squirrelly lately. Just let me know here if you don't get it and I'll try again. :)

Hey!
I'm back but not quite yet. Finally started playing the game with Indus at Emperor difficulty, East Asia map :goodjob: It goes as usual for this level - I'm behind the top civs by 3-4 techs. The map has a lot of natural barriers so that all civs seem to be fitting in their proper borders (not that I know them), myself included.

I've been fighting defensive wars all the time, Mughals and Mauryans attacked me 2 times. I got one Mauryan city that they managed to build southwest of my borders. I amassed a big army to attack Mughals and take their two cities to the south, declared war and got promptly owned since they have both iron and elephants and I don't, so I'm back to defense... screenshot included.

Don't have much to report besides graphical stuff:
- Mughal, Kara Khitai and Kambujedesa diplomacy leaderheads have transparency issues (black borders, transparent pixels n stuff)
- Qin (Zhou) Spearman has the offset screwed up so it appears above all other units, almost the tile above. It's the problem with the original unit - you can get the fixed version from WH mod.
- The Great Granary requirement isn't in the pedia

Attachments

• eastasia.jpg
    eastasia.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 277
Wait a second.. are those Samurai Archers in the screenshot of Indus?

They're generic archers used by most civs in the mod. All Indian specific ones are used for UUs etc. but maybe the Arab Archer (by Don Pedro IIRC, it's in MEM) would fit better?

- Mughal, Kara Khitai and Kambujedesa diplomacy leaderheads have transparency issues (black borders, transparent pixels n stuff)

Can't believe I made that error (at least the way I did it :crazyeye:) - try this pcx (attached below).

Might have something for the Timurids soon, can't quite get the crown right for Tamerlane but I think I'm getting reasonably pleased with the industrial era here - I'll start another thread for previews HERE :)

Attachments

• XI_all.pcx
    125 KB · Views: 148
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm pretty busy these days, but after next thursday me sceduel should lighten up a bit so I'll be there to comment on all the stuff.

Untill then just keep posting you experiences. :)

btw BlueMonkey if you're reading, it would be better if you posted here than sending me pm's. Since I don't have so much time to reply it's easier for me if it's all in one thread. ;)

I've been playing Goryeo at Monarch on the historical map, and here are some things I've noticed:

1) My workers have the option of building a radar tower.

2) The Nam Viet were identified as the Yuezhi when they tried to contact me to negotiate peace.

3) Some units don't seem to have sounds associated with them yet. I need to write down which ones to make sure, but I think the Hwarang Archer is one of them.

Some general comments on Goryeo (aka the Koryo):

1) They start in a very constrained area, with the Jin capital so close to the Korean peninsula, and so much rough terrain (including volcanos) in the area. As a result, it is really tough to expand (few decent city sites in reach) in the early game, though if you can get the closest copper deposit it's possible to conquer Jin cities to reach other useful resources like Wood and Horses.

2) The general resource picture in the area is decent, with Stone in the city radius of the capital helping construct some wonders and buildings.

3) I don't like the way the Turtleship is the only tribal UU. I'm not thrilled about ship UUs in the first place, and having their UU so late in the tech trees (end of the third age? fourth? I don't recall) is a severe disadvantage. I'd personally prefer if it were the Hwarang Warrior, both because I prefer land UUs for triggering a golden age and because it reached earlier in the tech tree.

4) The use of "bushi" as a flavor unit for the iron swordsman unit is a bit anachronistic, since that term is Japanese (meaning "warrior" or "armsman") and is basically another term for "samurai". The "wuhuan horsemen" is also anachronistic, this time because it is a Chinese term for a people incorporated into the Han military. Even "hwarang" is somewhat anachronistic, because it refers to a group that were part of the kingdom of Silla, but as a predecessor state that's much closer.

5) The starting capital really shouldn't be Hanyang (Seoul). During the Goryeo era, that city was named Namgyeong, and it only became the capital after the overthrow of the Goryeo Dynasty (with the establishment of the Joseon/Choson Dynasty). At the founding of the Goryeo Dynasty, the capital was Cheorwon, though within a year the capital was moved to Songak. Once the three kingdoms were all unified, the capital was moved to Kaesong.

6) An elite guard unit of the 12th century Goryeo you could also use for flavor or as a UU is the Tobang.

Overall, a fun mod to play!

Not to speak for Yoda or anything, but as for the naming of things, we've had some discussions about what names to use to represent the Korean civilization. We decided to go with Goryeo for several reasons: 1) the name "Korea" originates from the name of Goryeo so we have something that is both recognizeable and historical; 2) the selected leader for the civ to represent Korean civilization was Wang Geon so it wouldn't make sense to have "Wang Geon of Shilla" or "Wang Geon" of Gojoseon; 3) it was the period when the Korean peninsula was unified under one ruler (as opposed to the three kingdoms of the earlier era or the division of historical Korean territories between Shilla and Balhae). One of my earlier suggestions was Joseon (not the later Joseon, but the earlier Joseon), but the Gojoseon period is not exactly the height of Korean civilization and if we were to refer to the later Joseon period, it would come too late in the mod as Yoda also mentioned that initially at least the mod project was to go up to the rise and decline of the Mongols.

Hanyang was suggested as the capital as it or the regions around it served as it was fairly important in various periods though it not neccessarily served as a primary capital. The area we now call Seoul and the Han River basin served as the site for an early capital of Baekje, it was contested between the Korean three kingdoms, and it was capital from 1394 CE at the beginning the Joseon period and is still capital of Korea today and has been a center of politics for many centuries and through more than one time period. Gaeseong (Goryeo) and Geumseong (Shilla) were also suggested, but those were far too specific to their particular periods. Also recall that vanilla civ has Wang Kon as leader of "Korea" with his capital as "Seoul." :crazyeye: I do see what you mean, of course. The capital should be Gaeseong, but it's Yoda's call. ;)

"Bushi" didn't historically just refer to "samurai;" I'm guessing Yoda just used it as a generic term.

The problem with sticking to a very specific name is that in order to be accurate, all civs would have to be contemporary. That would greatly constrain the scope. So often it is the case that modders have to use some representative term.

!The word bushi (武士, lit. "warrior or armsman") first appears in an early history of Japan called Shoku Nihongi (続日本記, 797 A.D.). In a portion of the book covering the year 723 A.D., Shoku Nihongi states: "Literary men and Warriors are they whom the nation values". The term bushi is of Chinese origin and adds to the indigenous Japanese words for warrior: tsuwamono and mononofu."

This is from wikipedia :)

Top Bottom