Editing NIF files...a Possible solution...

FexFX

Prince
I feel really really dumb for not remembering this before...
But NIF is the file type used in Morrowind!
I've edited them BEFORE!

Here are some links to tools to convert NIF to 3DS and 3DS to NIF...there are also some tutorials out there..
http://morrowind-mod.com/Modders Resources Free 3D Model Sites & Modeling Programs.htm
(Near the Bottom)
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetelderscrolls/topic.asp?fid=3370&tid=1453353
(A Tutorial)
I havent tried this yet becuase it JUST occurred to me and I am at work...

Good luck with this! I hope this works! If it does we can get busy pumping out new models!

I am all excited for feedback on if this works!

No go..been there done that.
The format for Civ IV is newer , the Morrowind format is incompatible (no animation)

EdCase said:
No go..been there done that.
The format for Civ IV is newer , the Morrowind format is incompatible (no animation)
Darn!
Wait...No animation...
Can it do static objects like buildings without anims?

I believe you can inject them, yes. Have not bothered to try as SDK release is (hopefully) close.

Morrwind uses NIF v4.0.0.0... Those tools only convert to that.
Pirates uses NIF v10.0.0.0... Can get a nif to that with Hex editing i believe.
Civ4 uses NIF v20.0.0.0... Cannot convert to these yet. The group thats writing these tools (forget the name, but they made the plugins for Maya and 3DS you mentioned) is currently working on it. I joined the yahoo group so i could get access to messages... i am waiting for the ability to conver them as well.

Exavier said:
Morrwind uses NIF v4.0.0.0... Those tools only convert to that.
Pirates uses NIF v10.0.0.0... Can get a nif to that with Hex editing i believe.
Civ4 uses NIF v20.0.0.0... Cannot convert to these yet. The group thats writing these tools (forget the name, but they made the plugins for Maya and 3DS you mentioned) is currently working on it. I joined the yahoo group so i could get access to messages... i am waiting for the ability to conver them as well.

Darn!
Oh well I thought I'd recalled something useful.

Exavier said:
my thoughts exactly... why make a moddable game with a propriatary graphics format? :p

Its far from proprietary...There ae several games that use .NIF

This is just the latest version of .NIF

Its like saying why encode a movie in the latest DIVX!

Heheh...

My guess is that the new .NIF format is going to be more stable and better than the old .NIF format which was odd.

I can name five games that use .NIF files off the top of my head: Pirates, Civ IV, Morrorwind, Freedom Force and Freedom Force 2

Well propriatary because noone has generic image creation tools for it. Most other games considered moddable you can usually open the files with widely released plugins.

The owners of the Gamebyro Engine that those games you mentioned us (which uses NIF) i guess decided not to release the Supposidly 100% fully compatable 2DStudio and Maya plugins they say they have on their website.

aka making it a propriatary graphics technology.

Back
Top Bottom