Ed's interviw by Spong

seemed pretty open to future expansions for civ v.

SPOnG: Is Brave New World the final expansion to come for Civ V, or is there more to come in the future?

Ed Beach: With Brave New World, we’ve been able to take a detailed second pass back through all the periods represented in Civ V, so we do look at it as a pretty comprehensive Civ V experience. But we’ve got plenty of ideas to keep enhancing it, so if time and interest allows, Civ V could see some future additions.

This was nice to hear. I think this means we are getting new DLC in the future if BNW does well.

Awesome news!!!
Up for a 3rd expansion :king:

The way he phrases this I am thinking more like DLCs than an EP.

I don't think so. He talks about new ideas in game mechanics, which means either EP or patches. In the second case we'll surely see some DLC, though.

It's not really a question of 'adding' stuff for Civ 6 - it'll be redesigning the game from scratch. Some of the mechanics in CiV will either be absent or completely reworked. Compare CiV vanilla to CIV BTS - no religion, no espionage, completely different combat/unit stacking mechanics, redesigned happiness, redesigned city support/building support costs system, redesigned everything, pretty much.

I remember that when CiV was introduced, there were rumors that it's the last game of the series, since it is platform and only expansion packs will be added. It seems to me that so far the actions of Firaxis are pretty consistent with that idea. The vanilla game was rather simple, G&K added some staff which was intentionally left for expansion, while BNW changes core game mechanics pretty much. However, there are a lot of ideas and possibilities for future game development. If one just lurks this forum, they can find tons of additional stuff for another expansion pack. Obviously, they decision in favor of expansion or civ 6 depends on expected profit. If BNW is successful, it is very much likely to see another EP, imo.

I'd be pretty surprised to see another expansion pack, but who knows? DLCs might be a more likely option.

I'd have been surprised by either one. They had insinuated that this would be the last expansion, so it doesn't seem they had been thinking about doing a third. But they also dropped DLC fairly early on and have outright said that they stopped doing it because it was so unpopular. I'd be ecstatic to see an announcement of either a third expansion or more DLC, but the way they've been talking lately, either option is surprising.

Firaxis wouldn't give any clear indications right now of any future expansions - stating that BNW was merely putting Civ V on the next stage of development could put off some potential buyers, who would then wait until everything had been published, or at least until the sales. (Incidentally, it wouldn't put me off or a lot of people here...I can't wait for it to be released regardless of what's next ;)).

If they do add another expansion I hope it adds the Age of Enlightenment and cleans up the technologies of the 18th - 19th centuries and puts them in the correct order.

Why did this interviewer keep saying RTS?

Do your bloody research.

Yeah, this was a terrible interview. The guy didn't know anything about the game. Nice to have more direct confirmation that work can continue on the game, but this is just further confirmation that gaming journalism is a disgrace. I pity the genuine workers in the industry that have to work alongside such an open and widespread lack of professionalism.

Please, don't go overboard TC ! I'm pretty sure he totally missed it on the first question but wanted to say TBS on the second one. He has just a terrible unconscious bias toward one genre !
Besides, there were nice bit like Korea not considered at first ! Pretty interesting too.

SPOnG: Do you feel that the PC gaming landscape, particularly in the sim and RTS genres, is undergoing a bit of a paradigm shift to embrace online technologies? oh good lord What is your opinion of requiring a persistent internet connections, and the problems that can arise from implementing such a requirement?

Ed Beach: Because Civ is a turn-based game, and the preponderance of the game is played single-player, we don’t have the same sorts of concerns that you see in the RTS genre, or any game where there’s a shared world time between players.

Translation: We're not EA, you DRM ninny.

whit all the expansions i wounder what they could ad in civ6.
i personly would like if they keeped making expansions fore civ5.

Civ 5 didn't "add" to Civ 4, it changed approach dramatically. We could expect the same from Civ 6. It will probably lack Espionage, Corporations, Ideologies and so on, but it may have reworked 1UPT, global food with per-city happiness, etc.

And personally, I doubt there will be more expansions for Civ 5. There's a term "overdesign" and with BNW Civ becomes very close to it.

Top Bottom