Education Mod

Tholish

Emperor
Originally I made this thread for a particular event. However, I came up with another event and decided to add it to this thread and just have one thread for any other events I come up with.

The first event is a random event that causes civs to forget randomly chosen techs unless they pay an education fee. Thus you either go broke or constantly have to relearn things like Bronze Working. If you still want bronze working.

In the supplied version, this is the only random event, for testing purposes and to make it easy to place in other mods, but this makes it happen constantly, which is too often. Balancing it for just the right frequency (mulitple copies of it mixed in with other events?) and cost to avoid the tech loss (I pulled 500 gold out of a hat) is up to whoever uses it.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14278

EDIT: This produces an effect of damping tech and reducing money, though its regressive. Almost as good as a tech stopper mod, though its regressive, widens the gap. If you are early on, most of the randomly chosen techs are the ones you don't have yet so you might want to avoid paying the fee. The converse later. In late game almost every turn you will lose a tech or lose the fee.
Also, you know, clicking off the same event every turn gets tiresome. I may use another trigger so it doesn't do a popup, just happens, and set it to check for some condition like percent research spending and then roll a sorenrand.

Here's another event based modcomp called Merchant Fleets. This one is entirely XML. What it does is add an unbuildable unit called Merchant Fleet that occurs as a Random Event in any city with a Harbor, Lighthouse, Drydock, or Custom House (the more the better), and twice as frequently under Free Market civic. Each Merchant Fleet can move like a workboat, has Merchant AI, and has no power other than the Trade Mission like the Great Merchant.

In early times it looks like a galley, in middle times like a galleon, and in late eras it looks like a transport.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14325

very interesting. sounds nice, though forgetting techs could be annoying to the player. I like the Merchant Fleets, thats really nice for only XML. I might tie that into my blockade runner unit I have in ACW.

I upgraded the Education Mod. Now it tells you what tech you are about to lose, and charges you a fee based on one tenth of the beaker cost if you want to keep the tech. In my version I made these the only random events and multiplied the event probability by ten. By the future era you lose a tech every turn if you can't pay, but in earlier eras it is less frequent. I spent a whole day making this thing, so I would appreciate it if everyone put it in all mods from now on.

Top Bottom