Elf Unit Pack

Civitar

Adventurer

A collection of elven unit models, for use in fantasy mods. The original model was Wolfdog's Fyrdwell rider, which I tweaked and reskinned several times.:D The teamcolor was supplied by Nutty!

Links in bold are fully updated. Normal links are still out of date. No links mean unit is not available for download yet.:)

You may request any elf unit you like - I only ask that you make sure it isn't in the list above before you ask.
I will be making a lot of hero units (basically random-looking elves with distinguishing features), but not in any planned way so they are not in the list.
Enjoy!

This from Nomad:high5:! Thanks! Are there any elves you need other than the ones above? I seem to recall you saying you were doing a fantasy mod too.
The funny thing is that I spent over 2 weeks wrestling with the archer when I was still learning to make units (you can see the discussions between Ekmek, Deliverator, Wolfdog, and I in their various tutorial threads), and then when I decided to do this it took me all of ten minutes:hammer2:. Oh well...
And BTW I don't usually play as Polynesia, it just pops up and I grab it for quick load to test the units.

This from Nomad:high5:! Thanks! Are there any elves you need other than the ones above? I seem to recall you saying you were doing a fantasy mod too...

Plenty - I need three different types of Elves: Wood Elf, High Elf, and Dark Elf (Drow). So the good news is that there's no way you can disappoint me with Elf conversions! :lol:

Hmm, would reskins of these work for all of those kinds, or do you need special shapes for some kinds? Because eventually there will be Warhammer High Elf unit packs and Warhammer Dark Elf unit packs, but those two wear long robes instead of tunics for the most part.
If reskins work, I can do those quickly enough. Having Nutty do reskins for me has taught me a lot.

Hmm, would reskins of these work for all of those kinds, or do you need special shapes for some kinds? Because eventually there will be Warhammer High Elf unit packs and Warhammer Dark Elf unit packs, but those two wear long robes instead of tunics for the most part.
If reskins work, I can do those quickly enough. Having Nutty do reskins for me has taught me a lot.

Mostly re-skins, fortunately. Some unique units though, such as Driders (half spider, half Drow). Either way, you're making my life a lot easier - maybe one of these days I can actually start building the mod itself! :p

When I finish these elves (Wood Elves for you, I'm guessing), I'll reskin all of them and you can take your pick. Let me guess: Drow wear dark clothing and pale-skinned and High Elves are very silvery-ethereal?

You guys both rock!

I do have a recon line in my mod:
scout -> tracker -> ranger

I see scout in your list. Tracker and Ranger are just upgrades with some actual combat ability. I'm not sure what they should look like. I'll leave that to you if you are interested in doing them.

This is less important, but I also have an "infantry" line (for all races):
warrior -> light infantry -> medium inf. -> heavy inf. -> immortals

I say less important because once a unit is armored (as the last 3 are) then it is hard to tell they are elves. So I can get by with existing units for those. For light inf., I'll just use your swordsman. What about warriors?

Added Swordsmen to the list. I'll add ingame screenshots shortly.

@Pazyryk: Tracker sounds like fun, how about an elf with two daggers using Berserker animations? Ranger perhaps a caped and hooded elf with a bow, Archer animations?
They'd come after scout though, for whom I'm thinking "plain" elf with staff.
I thought about doing Warriors, but didn't like the idea of elves with clubs. I can do one if you want, he'd be quite simple. As for armored elves, I can add a pikeman to the list, then reskin the spearman, swordsman, and pikeman when they're all finished. Scant silver armor first, then heavier silver, then gold perhaps?

Tracker sounds great. But the Ranger has to have a melee attack. I always keep my upgrade paths in the same combat type (so promotions don't get fouled up). It could just be your longswordsmen with a cape. Maybe hoods and cape for all of these so there is some continuity within the recon line.

I had the same exact thought about elves and clubs. I'm actually thinking of using spearmen as my primitive infantry type unit (possibly for all races). So never mind warrior.

On the infantry upgrades:
Light Infantry requires Bronze Working and uses a Copper resource, so ideally they should have a bronze weapon (maybe a short sword) and either no armor or a little bronze
Med Infantry: iron sword and a little more iron armor
Heavy Infantry: more heavy armored (still iron)
Immortals: as above but Mithril equipped, so they should be similar but shinier and silver

Edit: If I do get some armored elves for the infantry line up, then your swordsman and longswordsman would probably serve perfectly (as is) for my tracker and ranger.

I'll be happy to get more particular for Éa, Pazyryk, but here I'm going to stick more or less to the Civ5 pattern. Is there a specific Éa thread where we could talk more?
Also added ingame screenshots of the swordsmen in action.

... stick more or less to the Civ5 pattern.

Ah, then I look forward to your early gunpowder units! (;) Just kidding. Well... actually I do need an elf arqubusman.)

Is there a specific Éa thread where we could talk more?
Here. The OP describes the basic unit lineups. Sídhe = elf.

When I finish these elves (Wood Elves for you, I'm guessing), I'll reskin all of them and you can take your pick. Let me guess: Drow wear dark clothing and pale-skinned and High Elves are very silvery-ethereal?

Yeah, probably Wood elves. I will probably use wolves as an initial mount and then a stag as the upgrade (knight equivalent) mount. But the rest will do nicely.

Drow have dark skin, purplish-black with white hair. They are more prone to magical arts than combat, live underground as dwarves do, and worship the Demon Spider Queen Lolth. Drow were developed extensively in Dungeons & Dragons. I won't be copying D&D verbatim - I will also apply many traits as described in Norse Mythology (Svartalfar, the "Dark Elves"). Typical appearance:

There are already some decent dark elf units in Civ IV; I will probably just do some touch-up and import them.

Attachments

• Drow.jpg
    Drow.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 3,083
I say less important because once a unit is armored (as the last 3 are) then it is hard to tell they are elves. So I can get by with existing units for those. For light inf., I'll just use your swordsman. What about warriors?

Most Elves in the modern fantasy genre very rarely wear plate armor; it is usually a very light magical or mithril chain armor ("elven chain"). I have also been thinking about how to do skins for the elven progressions. I like what Civitar is doing thus far, so perhaps the upgrades could be more cosmetic/ornamental and less determined by armor type as most upgrade paths are. Just my two cents :)

What I was thinking was just reskinning parts of the spearmen/swordsmen to be shinier and more metallic.
Also I added the spearmen to the OP. That's it for new models today, folks! I'll try to get a couple of Drow done though.
And for siege engines, bolt throwers or catapults?

@Nomad or What:
What do you think of this drow archer? Red eyes, white hair, purplish-black all over?

Very nice! That is likely how they would appear, but perhaps a bit more contrast between the skin and the clothing simply for better appearance in the game? Otherwise they may appear as a blur at small scale. That might be easier to do anyway as you only need to re-skin the...skin :lol:.

I could imagine that melee units would have very ornate armor (maybe even shiny) since they are almost as adept craftsmen as dwarves and still have the elegance of other elves. The unit provided could easily make a good ranger, though!

It's getting close to the full line-up that Éa needs. Do you plan any "upgrades" for archer, horse archer and horsemen?

I'll list our full unit lineup here. I certainly appreciate the units you have done. Maybe we will get a few more by you and then someone else will fill in the ones that are very Éa-specific. Some of our needs are simple reskins. Others are more involved.

Color-coded by what we have (black), what I think is coming (blue) and what seems to be missing (red).

archer -> bowman -> marksman
horse archer -> bowed cavalry -> sagitarrii
horsemen -> equities (a fast unarmored unit)

armored cavalry -> cataphracts (probably your knight)-> clibanarii (basically a mithril-armored knight)

scout -> tracker (on your list) -> ranger (using your "Longswords")

warrior (using your spearmen)-> light infantry (your swordsmen) -> medium infantry (light iron armor) -> heavy infantry (heavier iron armor) -> immortals (mithril-armored)

IIRC you said somewhere that you weren't doing armor for these guys. Hopefully someone might be interested in doing a very elegant elf armor for us, using these elves as starting point...

Edit: oh! almost forgot chariot. It's sort of an orphan unit that upgrades to horsemen.

Top Bottom