• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Emperor Attempt -- Fleme's Earth 18, Cyrus.

@sakhmet; I'd love to see screenshots of your game if you took any?

As per your request, I've uploaded the new version of the map. It lacks playtesting and is likely to be unbalanced in some way and as such any and all feedback is welcome. I'll post a link to it in my signature.

Edit: Which I somehow seem to fail over and over again. Link to v1.1

I'm really looking forward to your reports on the game Alternator!

Started playing the game, think I'm doing pretty well.

I sent my Scout northward and toward Mongolia, nabbing one goody hut for 57 gold and nabbing a good deal of information about my eastern borders--lots of desert, but also mapped out India for future expansion. Tech order was Animal Husbandry (confirming that horses in the BFC weren't moved away), Wheel, Mining, and working on Pottery. I don't need the whip with a hammer fiend capital, there's very few forests around to chop, horses provide my military, and Babylon is either going to be farmed over and whipped raw, or cottaged over and fuel my empire. Either way, I need Pottery.

Build order was Worker-Barracks-Worker-Archer. I delayed the second Worker to grow on some wonderful tiles--there's no pressing need for a second one immediately since I won't be chopping anything out. The Archer completed on the same turn the Horses were hooked up with my capital, so I'm free and clear to mass produce Immortals to my heart's content.

Start of the turn. I see no compelling reason not to start mass-producing Immortals--Sury should be slowed a little by his start, Kublai is far enough away that he should settle China before India, and I can always use the Immortal army to claim the subcontinent if I'm a little slow. Babylon didn't produce a religion--it was Judaism, so I'm guessing Monty picked it up--and while I could wait for him to try at Monotheism, well...I'm about to have an army, so why wait?

The only reason to slow down would be to sneak a Granary into the queue, but given that I'm not using the whip, I'm not sure if it's worthwhile quite yet. It'd slow down my attack by two Immortals, but hard to tell how significant that will be--not a big deal at Monarch, but this is Emperor.

+8 Food, ten base Hammers. Improving the Elephants would allow me to work three mines, for twenty two base hammers and an Immortal every other turn. There's no way Babylon with its flood plains can hope to match that type of production, and it'd pump Settlers out pretty damn fast once the need arises.

So, planning time. Rush Babylon and take his stuff is a given, but what past that? Farming over Babylon would allow it to serve as a Worker pump, and Persepolis will have the hammers for mass Settlers, so I *could* play peaceful and claim India, or even attack Khmer. On the other hand, Anatolia and the Balkans are good land and Mehmed is unlikely to stop my momentum if I keep the attack going, while anyone who settles Egypt would be worth smacking down. Odds are decent I could keep a pillage economy going until I had India ready for settlement and cottages, with Babylon either cottaged or farmed over--I think I favor the farms slightly, there.

I'm sorry, Fleme. I don't have any screens from the first game. I generally use the same name when saving.
I can post some SS from my current game, though. Playing as the Mongols. Before or aften I've squashed the Khmer!?!?! :)

@Alternator
I used Babylon as cottage cities.

Hi, I've taken a few SS from my current game, as Mongols.
Everything is going great. I should be able to win a domination win with this one, or else space ship. I'm far the best in production.
Joao is leading culture, but around 10k for his 3 cities - of which the first can be reached in two squares through HRE.

About the map. As you can see from this game almost everyone is jewish. The Americas founded two religions which left the rest of the world with monotheism. I hope this is better in the updated version. :)

I'll go win this one, and then take on 1.1

- Jeppe, Denmark

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    381.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    411.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 149
Thanks for posting those sakhmet. It's good to see how the AI behaves later on and it looks like Mehmed knew what he was doing :)

Looks like an easy win for you, though.

Let me know how it goes with 1.1 when you get around to it.

Continuing on without much feedback, sadly...but this is life, I suppose.

I made good on the rush, building five quick Immortals and sending them to visit Babylon. That was the good news for the round:

With no casualties, I added Babylon to my empire and started massing farms--for now I'm going to need a lot of Workers, and I can always swap it over to cottages quickly. The opposite, however, is not true.

I saw a city in the middle of the desert, surrounded by resources that I mostly can't improve, and thought to myself, "Self, that is a pretty good city, but for now it's just a drain. I'm Imperialistic with a hammer-heavy capital; I can always resettle it later, or maybe resettle on the coast." So I razed the city, killing two Bowmen and losing two Immortals (including one at 80% odds, ugh) and claiming a worker. Thus died Hammurabi's career as a political leader, and began his career as a stable boy.

Tech path was (finish) Potter-Bronzeworking-Mysticism, for the granary, the whip, and cultural borders. I'm falling behind somebody, badly; both Hannibal and Zara are willing to tech trade, and my most advanced toy is Bronzeworking. I've pretty well committed to my Immortals, however, and so there's nothing to do but continue attacking.

Mehmed and Zara are both nearby, and both of them have excellent land to claim--Anatolia is outstanding long-term, and the Balkans would be mine to claim as well for their resources, with both being quite hammer-strong. On the downside, Mehmed is already popular with almost everyone he's met; hitting him would complicate diplomacy, and almost force me into a religious bloc while sitting in the middle of the map. Attacking Ethiopia, meanwhile, means adding Egypt and securing the Arabian Sea for my own use, and his other cities should provide respectable production. On the upside, Zara is popular with nobody at all, so I wouldn't have to worry about diplomacy.

Eastern Front is boring. My Scout got eaten by a bear, but I don't expect to see anyone in India quite yet.

I really don't know which would be the better target--I lean slightly toward the Ethiopians because I think that will allow me to block more land and expand into more commerce sites. Might it be worth attacking both, or would that slow me down badly enough that I would never claim India? I have no problem crashing my economy with blocking cities and pretty much expect it to happen, but I'd like to claim at least another capital before I get into the swing of things.

Given my traits, I also don't want to continue the peace any longer than I need to, so what should my tech path look like? Research anything and everything that can be traded around to keep parity, then go for Guilds and rule the land with Knights? Wait less long? How long will Immortals last on Emperor?

I don't have a lot of comments to add but I'm still keenly following on how the map turns out :D

I think you may want to calm down a bit. If you take out Zara you have Egypt, Mesopotamia, and India. All can be wonderfully cottaged or can be tailored to your liking. I think you are being a bit too greedy going for Mehmed's lands and they aren't really anything compared to the ones you are already expanding into.

This looks like a good game to watch. Keep it up. Immortal spam is fun. I like what I see of the new map. Mekkah and Egypt look very nice; get some settlers there quickly.

I've found that while killing off certain AI's for better land on this map does leave you with a lot of good land, it also enables AI's bordering that dead AI to grab a bit more land and gain prominence. Still, good going with those Immortals.

I'd rather cottage Babylon and make it pay the bills rather than have it farmed since you don't really have a lot of sources of commerce like it and in the long run that spot is probably one of the best commercial locations on the entire map.

Egypt is just like Babylon and better (marble+stone).

I'm temporarily farming it over to mass-produce Workers and whip out infrastructure, just like Persepolis is going to mass-produce Settlers. Long-term I'm more likely to use it for cottages than Great People.

Going to have to try this map out.. I've been trying to do the exact same thing as you, as in rebalance the Earth map for the AI, but it looks like someone beat me to it :lol: Very glad you put the Vikings in there, as their my favorite civ.

Good to hear, Gagonite! Let me know how you like it! :goodjob:

I had a computer crash, and honestly I don't really want to take the starting save and try over--the short summary is that war on Zara led to him bribing me into a world war. I won peace with him, but not before my army was shot, and I have nothing that would suitably bribe me into peace with the others--so really, I'd have been looking at a long series of minor attacks.

Plus, Shaka was one of the ones who joined in (which is why I lost most of my Immortals), and he's not going to take peace for a long, long time.

I think I'll go back down to Monarch, and try out your updated map version.

Top Bottom