Emperor Sury - Pangea

M60A3TTS

Ex-treadhead
Working on my first win at Emperor. Here is the start.

Would it be better to SIP and retain the benefit of a faster worker and improvement of the plains cow or move 1NW to bring a wet rice tile into the BFC?

Attachments

• Emperor Sury BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    68.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Would it be better to SIP and retain the benefit of a faster worker and improvement of the plains cow or move 1NW to bring a wet rice tile into the BFC?
I would SIP. I just think the extra :hammers: is too good to pass on. 1NW is a lot better long term, but loses a turn.

Assuming AH first, need to put some workerT into goldmine and I don't think the timing is that bad on emperor. Point taken though, by moving (leads to 3T later worker) and improving rice first you can quickly grow to work all the nice tiles. Maybe it's not as simple as I intuitively thought.

ok, so I went 1NW and settled.

For first tech, I assume the leading candidates are Agriculture in 10, AH in 13, BW in 16. Since we took the time to bring the rice into the BFC, then Agri would seem the logical choice.

Scout went south to reveal a cow and stone. We are on a decent river it appears.

I'd assume nothing really competes with agri-AH-BW. You have lots of nice city spots to expand into and you can afford it so BW is great, but not as important as the food techs.

I'd assume nothing really competes with agri-AH-BW. You have lots of nice city spots to expand into and you can afford it so BW is great, but not as important as the food techs.
Agreed. Thanks.

Turn 11. Our first worker is still two turns out.

Three civs met, Sumeria, Native America, Maya. Only the cultural border of Sitting Bull is visible to the northwest. Best guess Sumeria to the east somewhere, Maya southwest maybe.

Our scout found triple gems to the south but with the usual jungle mass. He's moved to the north now. There is a potential city site 4 tiles from the capital to the south that would bring in the cow and stone. Maybe a run at the mids at some point? With marble and a GE from the mids that could lock in the GLib, but that's well down the road. No ivory spotted yet for our UU.

With AH in 11, looks like we'll stick to the coming worker farming at least the rice, and maybe a FP tile before turning to the plains cow and gold.

Next couple builds I'm thinking fog busting warriors to give the capital a chance to grow by a couple pop.

I would place the S-city either 1N or 1NE if you really want the stone asap (GW failgold?). It's good to share more tiles with the capital and not settle on a green river forest tile. :espionage: on either Pacal or Gilgy. SB is useless.

Turn 15 and our worker is improving the rice that is also the worked tile. Everyone's favorite warmonger makes an appearance from the east. Hopefully he'll trouble Gilgamesh before he comes my way. The espionage points were adjusted to drop SB and Shaka gets weight 2 for the moment, Pacal and Gilgy stay at 1.

I'd like to come back to city #2 placement shortly. No settler in the pipeline just yet, so time to round out first ring exploration.

The espionage points were adjusted to drop SB and Shaka gets weight 2 for the moment, Pacal and Gilgy stay at 1.
I would always target one AI. Power ratio is nearly irrelevant, knowing what tech someone goes for is worth a lot for trades.

I would always target one AI. Power ratio is nearly irrelevant, knowing what tech someone goes for is worth a lot for trades.
Got it. EP points moved to Pacal.

T23 the scout finished the first ring circuit. Still no ivory but a border pop in 3 for the capital will bring horses in.

No new contacts or cultural borders seen.

With AH in 11, looks like we'll stick to the coming worker farming at least the rice, and maybe a FP tile before turning to the plains cow and gold.
Farming floodplains should be a last resort worker action cos it's taking 7t for 1:food:.
Gold helps with BW research and cows are just 1 tile away so you have a very nice path here, imo floodplains would count as significant mistake..worker turns are valuable at this time.

ok, I was trying to minimize turns needed to move the worker to a tile that could be improved. With AH coming in on the same turn as the worker is on the gold mine, would I be better off mining the gold first or moving off to improve the cow? That's delaying growth with the mine first.

ok then, we'll do it. Get BW a couple turns sooner by working the rice, gold and unimproved FP until the cow is pasturized.

Would a second worker be appropriate here after the warrior is out? Settler for city 2? Or another fog-buster?

I would prolly pick the 2nd worker first (size 3 or 4? difficult to say without being ig, but growing until gold has been improved usually makes sense).
Small EXP bonus again, he can help chopping your settler and when pottery comes in (tech path BW - wheel - pot) there will be a flurry of things to do (FP cottages).

With that as the plan, T25 looks like this with the warrior just in. HRE showed up in SW.

Attachments

• Emperor Sury BC-3000 T25.CivBeyondSwordSave
    91.4 KB · Views: 7
I wonder what others like Sampsa think about a city east :)
With CRE it could be placed on the black tile between corn & sheep, before Giggles goes there.
Pretty good whip spot and starts with an Oasis too.

Prolly pause a bit before more opinions come in, Giggles is CRE too and if he settles with corn in first ring it's lost.

I'm thinking the oasis is the next best tile yes.
@Fippy Maybe a more natural spot is on the desert tile 1W of oasis. Can share cows & gold, marble later. Does not need corn.

The corn tile... Is it important? It is far away and comes with lots of desert.

Interesting decision this turn: Worker or Settler first ?
Worker wins on production while Settler wins on commerce ?

Lots of options yup, worker or settler is prolly one of those ~50% picks.
Corn + sheep could be a GP farm or so (after helping with expansion), i rarely care about desert tiles in such cities.
But Giggles possibly grabbing corn with a first ring city shakes things up and maybe it's not worth trying.

Top Bottom