• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Epic chop yields?

overholt93

Chieftain
I just recently acquired Civ IV, and so far I've done some experimenting with the early game. I've read the strategy guides here, and I'm looking forward to playing a game the whole way through and trying them out -- I'm planning to sit in front of the computer all weekend. :)

But I've noticed one thing that I'm finding very frustrating. All the discussion of chopping says they give 30 production at normal speed and 45 production at epic. When I play an epic game (large map), chopping is giving me 30 production. I'm not gettting a distance penalty -- chopping the tiles immediately adjacent to my city are only giving me 30 production.

What's going on here?! It does bump up to 45 with mathematics, but that doesn't really help much when trying to chop my first couple workers or settlers.

These strategy articles are all pretty old - was the production of chopping changed in one of the later versions? Any suggestions?

Chopping yields were indeed changed from the original release. Namely the original chop yields are now available only post-Mathematics, with pre-Math chops reduced to 2/3rds.

clearcutting forests for human development. Civ IV gets realism points for that one.

Excellent, thanks for the info. Is there somewhere I could have looked to find this out?

I haven't had time to experience it much yet, but in theory, I really like Civ IV's handling of forests. It seems to model that particular aspect of human involvement with the forest much better than earlier versions did.

I'm quite sure that change was noted in release notes of some patch or another, but I don't remember which patch or where. Certainly it's also mentioned somewhere on the forums too post-patch - probably lots of complaints about forest chops having been nerfed :)

It was changed in 1.61 and yes there were complaints about it (along with the representation nerf).

Top Bottom