Epic Speed and Faith

vonriel

Chieftain
On King difficulty, on Epic speed, I'm finding it's nearly impossible to get a pantheon belief. I'm not sure what it is, maybe the AI is just ignoring the faith requirements, or maybe it's something else, but in my past several games I've noticed the same trend. Namely, the speed at which the AI can crank out pantheons makes it more or less impossible for me to catch up to them in faith and get my own pantheon founded.

In my most recent game, at the start of my turn 25, 5 pantheons had been founded, and on epic speed the faith required starts at 30 and goes up by 7 per pantheon. Turn 7, the first pantheon is founded, 30 faith for the player. Turn 12, the second is founded, 37 faith. Turn 15, my shrine is finished. Turn 18, my first policy arrives, after getting 75 culture from ruins. Turn 20, faith from ancient ruins opens up, possibly explaining the two pantheons obtained immediately after each other on turn 21, requiring first 44 and then 51 faith. The fifth came on turn 24, requiring 58 faith. I'm now on turn 25, with 39 faith, after making 3 faith per turn since I finished my shrine, and getting 8 bonus faith from meeting a religious city-state. Stonehenge hasn't been built. Even considering some of the crazy good faith UB and UA out there for some civs, and even with the potential for faith from ruins, something seems weird about these numbers.

In another game where I bothered to record, on Prince, the first pantheon was founded on turn 22, the second on 23, the third on 26, and by turn 85, 15 pantheons had been founded and the first religion enhanced. At that point, I was locked out of attempting to get a pantheon belief. Stonehenge wasn't built until turn 87.

So, what's going on? Is there some underlying failure of the system with regards to faith? Is it only present on Epic speed? Or am I pretty much just going to have to go Piety and rush Stonehenge if I even want a shot at a pantheon and, eventually, religion?

On King difficulty, on Epic speed, I'm finding it's nearly impossible to get a pantheon belief. I'm not sure what it is, maybe the AI is just ignoring the faith requirements, or maybe it's something else, but in my past several games I've noticed the same trend. Namely, the speed at which the AI can crank out pantheons makes it more or less impossible for me to catch up to them in faith and get my own pantheon founded.

In my most recent game, at the start of my turn 25, 5 pantheons had been founded, and on epic speed the faith required starts at 30 and goes up by 7 per pantheon. Turn 7, the first pantheon is founded, 30 faith for the player. Turn 12, the second is founded, 37 faith. Turn 15, my shrine is finished. Turn 18, my first policy arrives, after getting 75 culture from ruins. Turn 20, faith from ancient ruins opens up, possibly explaining the two pantheons obtained immediately after each other on turn 21, requiring first 44 and then 51 faith. The fifth came on turn 24, requiring 58 faith. I'm now on turn 25, with 39 faith, after making 3 faith per turn since I finished my shrine, and getting 8 bonus faith from meeting a religious city-state. Stonehenge hasn't been built. Even considering some of the crazy good faith UB and UA out there for some civs, and even with the potential for faith from ruins, something seems weird about these numbers.

In another game where I bothered to record, on Prince, the first pantheon was founded on turn 22, the second on 23, the third on 26, and by turn 85, 15 pantheons had been founded and the first religion enhanced. At that point, I was locked out of attempting to get a pantheon belief. Stonehenge wasn't built until turn 87.

So, what's going on? Is there some underlying failure of the system with regards to faith? Is it only present on Epic speed? Or am I pretty much just going to have to go Piety and rush Stonehenge if I even want a shot at a pantheon and, eventually, religion?

I think with the way they "remastered" the game you'll have to drop at least another difficulty. :)

It's easy: you want religion, you pick Piety first. It really is one of those things that work exactly as they should, because with Piety + Stonehenge rush you will almost always found the first religion (on King), and if you don't want to play the religion game, you can ignore Piety as a whole.

From the experience of 6 games with the final patch (King, epic speed) I have to say that I still like to go with religion, but I'm unsure wether it pays off in the long run - which again, is exactly the way it should be. You can benefit greatly from other religions, and the ressources not invested in a religion can be put to good use elsewhere.

Top Bottom