epic speed ?

HiroHito

Prince
I never played epic speed, whats the difference between marathon and epic exactly please ?

Thanks ahead.

Marathon = cheesy, gives your troops effectively triple movement speed since movement points don't scale up. The AI sucks at war so any advantages like triple speed movement help the player more (usually). Espionage is also messed up since 24 turns of poisoned water/unhappiness hurts worse than 8 turns (normal) as once you hit zero food it whittles your pop away each turn for longer.

Epic = slightly less cheesy, sort-of-double-movement point troops.

Normal = probably the way the game was meant to be played, and probably the setting it's most playtested on. Also better for experimentation and such because each game doesn't take long.

Quick = distorted normal, still maybe good for experimentation.

Quick=330 turns
Normal=500 turns
Epic=750 turns
Marathon=1500 turns

Big difference is obviously double the turns from Epic to Marathon.

cheesy, gives your troops effectively triple movement speed since movement points don't scale up. The AI sucks at war so any advantages like triple speed movement help the player more (usually). Espionage is also messed up since 24 turns of poisoned water/unhappiness hurts worse than 8 turns (normal) as once you hit zero food it whittles your pop away each turn for longer.ER]

1) As long as you have the BetterAI mod or BTS, the AI kicks ass at war.

2) Solvers patch fixes the piosoned water thing.

What you need to know:
Quick-My preffered gamespeed.
Normal-Kinda boring.
Epic-Kill me now.
Marathon-I'll kill myself.

What you need to know:
Quick-My preffered gamespeed.
Normal-Kinda boring.
Epic-Kill me now.
Marathon-I'll kill myself.

Or alternately ...the complete reverse f this . All dependent if your attention span is capable of covering multi session games.

I like Marathon myself. It's odd, because I really don't have a great attention span...it just bothers me when my units get obsoleted while travelling to the enemy :lol:

Or alternately ...the complete reverse f this . All dependent if your attention span is capable of covering multi session games.

I have a GREAT attention span, I just don't feel like wasting 4 days on one game. :cool:

1) As long as you have the BetterAI mod or BTS, the AI kicks ass at war.

2) Solvers patch fixes the piosoned water thing.

AI gets its ass kicked all the way up to Deity level, in BtS, with or without Agg AI turned on. You can goad it into suicidal attacks, terrify it into caravel spamming, and use collateral damage MUCH more effectively than the AI could ever dream of doing. Being able to spam troops with production bonuses (AI bonuses at higher levels) is not the same as being a better warring AI. Not by a long shot.

axident you are ******ed. Marathon = units are worth building because contrary to other game speeds your stack won't be outdated by the time you get to another countries borders.

Excuse me, Mr. Ad Hominem? I hear that excuse all the time yet wage very successful wars on Normal speed. Heck I even cav rush successfully up to Emperor sometimes. Are you telling me that my units weren't "worth building" just because I was on Normal speed? :lol:

I've played on Marathon--I used to play exclusively on it before upping the ante and going Normal and moving up in difficulty--something you might want to try. And I can tell for a fact that it's easier to (offensively) war on Marathon than Normal. Your army effectively lasts three times longer and less often faces just-upgraded enemy units.

Excuse me, Mr. Ad Hominem? I hear that excuse all the time yet wage very successful wars on Normal speed. Heck I even cav rush successfully up to Emperor sometimes. Are you telling me that my units weren't "worth building" just because I was on Normal speed? :lol:

I've played on Marathon--I used to play exclusively on it before upping the ante and going Normal and moving up in difficulty--something you might want to try. And I can tell for a fact that it's easier to (offensively) war on Marathon than Normal. Your army effectively lasts three times longer and less often faces just-upgraded enemy units.

this is exactly right. on normal, i play on noble.
on marathon, i feel the need to play on immortal. this is the only way the AI stands a chance of thwarting a well thought out military plan.

with marathon, you can lay your battle plans as soon as you have your neighbors in your mapview, regardless of tech difference ("hmm...i have a city on the border that i can upgrade my units in, in 6 turns...excellent. line up on the border.")

marathon requires Huge+ maps to even be fun.

I think its the other way around....huge maps are only fun on marathon. They are too big and take to long to do anything on the others.

I've been playing Epic lately, but that's mostly because I enjoy the Ancient-Renaissance periods most and usually start over once the guns are drawn. The longer research & production times make my truncated games more satisfying.

Industrial+ just gets tedious and ugly (those mines look hideous!).

I like Marathon myself. It's odd, because I really don't have a great attention span...it just bothers me when my units get obsoleted while travelling to the enemy :lol:

I agree... I play marathon so I can obtain a technology, create troops correlated to it, and send em to battle before the enemy counters it. Otherwise what's the point? It's just a tech race or mass-unit rush to win a game.... talk about boring. Marathon may be loooong, but I don't expect to play in one sitting. Maybe 1 era per sitting, unless I'm in a fullscale war... I want my decisions to mean something, and my errors to have time to correct.

Marathon = cheesy, gives your troops effectively triple movement speed since movement points don't scale up. The AI sucks at war so any advantages like triple speed movement help the player more (usually).

Sure, all that extra movment gives the human player an advantage..... but on anything above noble, the AI also get their bonus's for 3 times as long. The bonus's matter far more in the beginning.... so they can city spam, and box any human players in far more efficiently than they can on normal speed.

Sure, all that extra movment gives the human player an advantage..... but on anything above noble, the AI also get their bonus's for 3 times as long. The bonus's matter far more in the beginning.... so they can city spam, and box any human players in far more efficiently than they can on normal speed.

If you play Marathon as a builder, it's a much harder call, because you aren't using the big advantage the human gets at that speed. The main Marathon advantage is in that triple movement (and triple-healing speed). A competent rusher can take down multiple civs with just axemen on Marathon, then Swords, because longbows take a long time to show up. (And even then you probably captured half the world by that point and/or have catapults.) The cheapest combination for what I hope are obvious reasons would probably be Boudica of Rome, Pangaea, Marathon speed. Keep capitals and wonders and holy cities, raze what you can't keep, game over.

Top Bottom