Era Buildings

Ah yes that is pretty close to what's happening eg 1 longswords men taking out 2 musket men with ease over 2 turns while I'm obviously going little damage to him over those 2 turns
ie SWM has 20 combat and muskets have 30 combat roughly not including promo's or other factors of course

edit: I'll continue as is and see if it balances out as I progress
mmmm...do you have promotion-saving turned on? If so, are the AI using the extra 10XP from the Tactical School to give themselves a free auto-heal as a 1st promotion, do you think ? Or perhaps my understanding is incorrect and the AI can alway "promotion-save" regardless of whether the option is turned on in Advanced Game Set-up.

Because the Tactical School's promotion is only an extra 10% to combat strength, and if your musketmen started life in a city with the Tactical School they should also have the extra 10% strength. The promotion for the Tactical School applies to both Melee and Gunpowder units, whereas the one for the Warrior School (the version of the building you can construct from the start of the game) only applies to Melee units.

Or perhaps my understanding is incorrect and the AI can alway "promotion-save" regardless of whether the option is turned on in Advanced Game Set-up.

From what I can remember of the DLL C++ promotion code, the AI never promotion-saves, but it will always take insta-heal if at 50% of hp or less. I can check the specifics later when I get home if you want.

From what I can remember of the DLL C++ promotion code, the AI never promotion-saves, but it will always take insta-heal if at 50% of hp or less. I can check the specifics later when I get home if you want.
Only when/as you have time.

I hadn't had a chance to give the mod a real stringent test since I added the element for free AI building-upgrades in cities that had the earlier version of a building. I was paying more attention to whether the code was operating as desired when the AI era-upped and less as to whether I had introduced a game imbalance elsewhere. :cry:

I added the auto-upgrades to the newer-era versions of the buildings because it seemed the AI couldn't figure how to deal properly with the system otherwise
  • a human can determine much better when it does not pay to construct Ancient-Era-Building because he is about to era-up
  • or that he needs to construct the Classical-Era version before advancing to Medieval Era if he is not to waste the production spent on an Ancient-Era version.
  • AI was constructing Ancient-Era Version, then never upgrading to Classical-Era Version during Classical Era, and so was starting all over again for the same building-line when it advanced into the Medieval Era.
  • I may have to rethink and rely less on the simple XML methods of <ReplacementBuildingClass> and apply lua restrictions across the board if the AI getting the upgrades for free turns out to be too much of a 'cheat-feel' to the human player. I could then allow the AI more latitude as to when it can upgrade to the better version.

Game Balance Design Mechanics....sometimes it is such the PITA :sad:

mmmm...do you have promotion-saving turned on? If so, are the AI using the extra 10XP from the Tactical School to give themselves a free auto-heal as a 1st promotion, do you think ?

Ah I see, Yes and Yes to both of those questions. I refocused three of my cities to build the military line of buildings as far as is possible for the era and built a number of units from those cities and re-invaded Russia this time they had caught up build wise and had equal units and I destroyed them.

So I'm not sure now if the earlier era is unbalanced of whether my stratagem was wrong ie I thought just having the advantage of an advancement in technology over the enemy would have been enough to take them out early in the game (more opportunist with regards to Russia)

The good news with that is that it possibly isn't which means If I decide blasé to attack then be it on my head which essentially would mean I guess that the balance is good as you/I need to have a decent stratagem right from the get go

I redrafted the OP a bit. I have also adjusted the code and attached a zipped copy of the latest version of the mod to the OP. I am still using the (V3) designation, though, since I am also working out compatibility to Pouakai's Englightenment Era* and have already added all that stuff to V4

Biggest changes are:
  1. When the AI enters a new era they are no longer guaranteed to get the upgrade versions of buildings in their cities for the new era. The game RNG dice-rolls to determine if they get Upgrade-to-Building-X in City-X. This is done individually for every building they could get an upgrade for, and individually for every city. No en masse RNGeebsauce
  2. Re-arranged which of the "1st-row" techs of each era obsolete which of the buildings.
    • In the previous large change I had removed the happiness buildings from ever going obsolete because Era-Up was turning into Massive Instant Unhappiness :sad:

But this left holes in the assignments of new-era techs that would make buildings go obsolete, so I had to re-think and re-draft a bit.
  3. Added code to fix an issue with Advance Starts.

Spoiler * :
that is, if he will ever release the thing so I can confirm my V4 changes are going to function properly when both mods are active

erm...hint hint

OK cool I just finished a game on king although it may have started out alittle one sided for the AI by the time I got through to the late era's there advantage well and truly gone to the point where if anything the advantages shifted to me ( either that or I'm that damn good eh)

I'm about to start a new game again on king with your newer version so we will see how to goes

either way it's the only mod around that has this build concept it's a hell of alot more interesting than just, build this build that civ5 build tree, sure you can load up many buildings as I have done with my main mod but that becomes a yawn after awhile too, so excellent maybe we need to plug it abit more cause people really don't know what there missing out on

I may bump this into my signature a some point, anyways
cheers for the new ver
(excuse the grammar and spelling it really late here in NZ)

Hi LeeS

Well I finished another game on king, I think It may be a good Idea to allow the AI to instabuild again
as during the game I made sure with a certain few cities that I kept the era's build program current which of course allows me to build most if not all era building in one turn per build also the military advantage I think shifts to me for example I decided to declare war on 9 factions at the same time with no real detriment to me militarily granted I had a ton of units but so did the AI and I was able to sweep them off the board relatively quickly.

Possible you could make it so even with a current era's build program that It still takes 2-3 turns per build as opposed to one that then may balance things out alittle

I do think though you need to re-enable the AI instabuild

What are your thoughts?

I've posted a V4 to the thread's OP.

V4:
  1. goes back to the full cost-difference between the old version and the new version of a building being the "cost" for the upgrade between old and new.
  2. Raises the RNG rate at which AI players are given the upgrades for free, from 75% to 95% in the Classical-Era and from 0% to 65% chance when advancing into the Future era, with percentage-differences evenly decrimenting as the AI player goes through the eras.
  3. Puppet cities in the Human Player's empire always get the free upgrades
  4. Has compatibility code for Pouakai's Enlightenment Era mod buried within it, but it is not active as yet, since Pouk hasn't released the EE mod yet.
  5. As yet has not implemented any of the previously-suggested changes to the Policy-Branch "synergies" because I am still thinking them all through, while at the same time I am currently working on updating and upgrading my Scipio mod.

I haven't yet updated the text in the OP to reflect anything that would be needed to be changed based on this V4 set of adjustments.

Possible you could make it so even with a current era's build program that It still takes 2-3 turns per build as opposed to one that then may balance things out alittle

I do think though you need to re-enable the AI instabuild

What are your thoughts?
I had been reaching pretty much the same conclusions from gameplay testing.

RNGeebsauce was not particularly kind to Gus when he advanced to the Medieval Era (6 out of 8 resulted in Nope! for Gus):
Spoiler :
Code:
[768723.078] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Stockholm for player # 18 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[768723.078] EraAdvancements: Building 172 (BUILDING_LRS_WARRIOR_SCHOOL) exists in the city of Stockholm for player # 18
[768723.078] EraAdvancements: Building 175 (BUILDING_LRS_TACTICAL_SCHOOL_UPGRADE) was [color="red"]NOT added[/color] to the city of Stockholm for player # 18
[768723.078] EraAdvancements: Building 224 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY1_MARKER) exists in the city of Stockholm for player # 18
[768723.078] EraAdvancements: Building 229 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY2_UPGRADE) was [color="red"]NOT added[/color] to the city of Stockholm for player # 18
[768723.078] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Sigtuna for player # 18 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[768723.093] EraAdvancements: Building 172 (BUILDING_LRS_WARRIOR_SCHOOL) exists in the city of Sigtuna for player # 18
[768723.093] EraAdvancements: Building 175 (BUILDING_LRS_TACTICAL_SCHOOL_UPGRADE) was [color="red"]NOT added[/color] to the city of Sigtuna for player # 18
[768723.093] EraAdvancements: Building 224 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY1_MARKER) exists in the city of Sigtuna for player # 18
[768723.093] EraAdvancements: Building 229 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY2_UPGRADE) was [color="red"]NOT added[/color] to the city of Sigtuna for player # 18
[768723.093] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Helsinki for player # 18 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[768723.093] EraAdvancements: Building 272 (BUILDING_LRS_CABLEMAKER_MARKER) exists in the city of Helsinki for player # 18
[768723.109] EraAdvancements: Building 277 (BUILDING_LRS_SAILMAKER_UPGRADE) was added to the city of Helsinki for player # 18
[768723.109] EraAdvancements: Building 202 (BUILDING_LRS_MUDWORKS) exists in the city of Helsinki for player # 18
[768723.109] EraAdvancements: Building 205 (BUILDING_LRS_CITY_KILN_UPGRADE) was [color="red"]NOT added[/color] to the city of Helsinki for player # 18
[768723.109] EraAdvancements: Building 224 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY1_MARKER) exists in the city of Helsinki for player # 18
[768723.125] EraAdvancements: Building 229 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY2_UPGRADE) was [color="red"]NOT added[/color] to the city of Helsinki for player # 18
[768723.125] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Birka for player # 18 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[768723.125] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Uppsala for player # 18 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[768723.125] EraAdvancements: Building 224 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY1_MARKER) exists in the city of Uppsala for player # 18
[768723.140] EraAdvancements: Building 229 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY2_UPGRADE) was added to the city of Uppsala for player # 18
[768723.140] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Turku for player # 18 checking for buildings to be upgraded
But RNGeebsauce was rather more kind to Monty when he advanced to Medieval a few turns earlier (only 5 out of 15 were Nope! for Monty):
Spoiler :
Code:
[744592.656] EraAdvancements: Building 182 (BUILDING_LRS_COLD_CELLARS_MARKER) exists in the city of Tenochtitlan for player # 6
[744592.656] EraAdvancements: Building 187 (BUILDING_LRS_FARMER_MARKET_UPGRADE) was [color="red"]NOT added[/color] to the city of Tenochtitlan for player # 6
[744592.656] EraAdvancements: Building 172 (BUILDING_LRS_WARRIOR_SCHOOL) exists in the city of Tenochtitlan for player # 6
[744592.671] EraAdvancements: Building 175 (BUILDING_LRS_TACTICAL_SCHOOL_UPGRADE) was added to the city of Tenochtitlan for player # 6
[744592.671] EraAdvancements: Building 245 (BUILDING_LRS_SCIENCE1_MARKER) exists in the city of Tenochtitlan for player # 6
[744592.687] EraAdvancements: Building 250 (BUILDING_LRS_SCIENCE2_UPGRADE) was added to the city of Tenochtitlan for player # 6
[744592.687] EraAdvancements: Building 224 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY1_MARKER) exists in the city of Tenochtitlan for player # 6
[744592.687] EraAdvancements: Building 229 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY2_UPGRADE) was added to the city of Tenochtitlan for player # 6
[744592.687] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Teotihuacan for player # 6 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[744592.687] EraAdvancements: Building 172 (BUILDING_LRS_WARRIOR_SCHOOL) exists in the city of Teotihuacan for player # 6
[744592.687] EraAdvancements: Building 175 (BUILDING_LRS_TACTICAL_SCHOOL_UPGRADE) was [color="red"]NOT added[/color] to the city of Teotihuacan for player # 6
[744592.687] EraAdvancements: Building 224 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY1_MARKER) exists in the city of Teotihuacan for player # 6
[744592.703] EraAdvancements: Building 229 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY2_UPGRADE) was added to the city of Teotihuacan for player # 6
[744592.703] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Orleans for player # 6 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[744592.703] EraAdvancements: Building 172 (BUILDING_LRS_WARRIOR_SCHOOL) exists in the city of Orleans for player # 6
[744592.703] EraAdvancements: Building 175 (BUILDING_LRS_TACTICAL_SCHOOL_UPGRADE) was [color="red"]NOT added[/color] to the city of Orleans for player # 6
[744592.703] EraAdvancements: Building 245 (BUILDING_LRS_SCIENCE1_MARKER) exists in the city of Orleans for player # 6
[744592.703] EraAdvancements: Building 250 (BUILDING_LRS_SCIENCE2_UPGRADE) was added to the city of Orleans for player # 6
[744592.703] EraAdvancements: Building 224 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY1_MARKER) exists in the city of Orleans for player # 6
[744592.703] EraAdvancements: Building 229 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY2_UPGRADE) was added to the city of Orleans for player # 6
[744592.703] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Tlatelolco for player # 6 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[744592.703] EraAdvancements: Building 172 (BUILDING_LRS_WARRIOR_SCHOOL) exists in the city of Tlatelolco for player # 6
[744592.703] EraAdvancements: Building 175 (BUILDING_LRS_TACTICAL_SCHOOL_UPGRADE) was [color="red"]NOT added[/color] to the city of Tlatelolco for player # 6
[744592.703] EraAdvancements: Building 202 (BUILDING_LRS_MUDWORKS) exists in the city of Tlatelolco for player # 6
[744592.703] EraAdvancements: Building 205 (BUILDING_LRS_CITY_KILN_UPGRADE) was [color="red"]NOT added[/color] to the city of Tlatelolco for player # 6
[744592.703] EraAdvancements: Building 224 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY1_MARKER) exists in the city of Tlatelolco for player # 6
[744592.718] EraAdvancements: Building 229 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY2_UPGRADE) was added to the city of Tlatelolco for player # 6
[744592.718] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Texcoco for player # 6 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[744592.718] EraAdvancements: Building 172 (BUILDING_LRS_WARRIOR_SCHOOL) exists in the city of Texcoco for player # 6
[744592.718] EraAdvancements: Building 175 (BUILDING_LRS_TACTICAL_SCHOOL_UPGRADE) was added to the city of Texcoco for player # 6
[744592.718] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Tlaxcala for player # 6 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[744592.718] EraAdvancements: Building 224 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY1_MARKER) exists in the city of Tlaxcala for player # 6
[744592.734] EraAdvancements: Building 229 (BUILDING_LRS_HAPPY2_UPGRADE) was added to the city of Tlaxcala for player # 6
[744592.734] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Calixtlahuaca for player # 6 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[744592.734] EraAdvancements: Building 272 (BUILDING_LRS_CABLEMAKER_MARKER) exists in the city of Calixtlahuaca for player # 6
[744592.734] EraAdvancements: Building 277 (BUILDING_LRS_SAILMAKER_UPGRADE) was added to the city of Calixtlahuaca for player # 6
[744592.734] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Xochicalco for player # 6 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[744592.734] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Tlacopan for player # 6 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[744592.734] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Muang Saluang for player # 6 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[744592.734] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Atzcapotzalco for player # 6 checking for buildings to be upgraded
[744592.734] EraAdvancements: On Era Advancement for Tzintzuntzen for player # 6 checking for buildings to be upgraded
Also though I can't find him yet Monty is being a poop-head to both Napoleon and Ramadamathingamajig

Monty a "poop-head" to everyone and KamehameKuntaKinte and Attila lol
the warring type civ's are... super aggressive I started a new game and I've had so many declaration of war I've lost count, 7 I think if memory serves, not complaining I setup in advanced settings with most warring civ's included makes a big big difference that's for sure I'm still running v3 era's atm wanted to see how it played out with aggressive civ's so far TOTALLY different

(again excuse the spelling and grammar it's late and I've had beer)lol

hi LeeS
I'm playing v4 now about half way thru a game seems a pretty good thus far.

It really makes a big difference who you're up against civ wise I played v3 against all of the aggressive civs in my previous game and Good Lord it was difficult for the first few eras BUT if you can survive the ascendancy seems to change to the human player

which by the way I thought was pretty cool having to fight for survival fairly early on many fronts
I thoroughly enjoyed it

also on a side note did you make Leonardo's Workshop and if you did is it bug free cause I thought I'd give that another go again :)

Yes I made Leonardo's Workshop. The only bug I am aware of is the one re patch ~276 and non-updated users. Older mods that have their own dll, they may or may not be updated to not break mods using the 276 stuff. But since Era Buildings is working for you, you probably aren't using one of those outdated-dll mods.

hi LeeS
well Ive finished 2 games, 1 on king the other on emperor using version 4 of your mod

v4 seems a lot more balanced but i think i prefer v3 seems to make the game a little harder
as I've said in above posts in regards to why

great mod love it for me it is now a must have mod, i don't play w\out it anymore:goodjob:

Added the newest version of the mod (v7) as an attachment to the OP.

The new version gives compatibility to the Enlightenment Era mod, and adds buildings correct for the Enlightenment Era when a player is using both Era Buildings and Enlightenment Era.

Also adjusts upwards the hammers costs of all the 'Upgrade' buildings, but provides deeper hammer-cost discounts the farther a player goes into the policy-branch which 'synergizes' with each particular line of buildings.

The science buildings have been made progressively more expensive in relative terms as the player advances through the eras, and the primary 'synergy' to the science line of buildings so far as policy-adoption goes is to only give a large hammer-cost discount when the player completes the Rationalism Policy Branch. This is to keep these science buildings to create so much of a snowball runaway-science effect, since in the unmodded game science is King, and so is Rationalism.

My plan is to try to completely update the thread opening post over the coming weekend (15Nov2015, 16Nov2015) but we all know how real life can be such a PITA sometimes.

Updated the OP somewhat, moved the mod downloading to the CFC download database, and updated the downloadable version of the mod to V9. V8 did not get released because I ended up using it as a fallback 'safety valve' in case I supremely screwed-up the addition of the custom artwork to the mod.

Playing right now with this mod enabled. The concept is great, the only slight drawback I could report is the time-line of former buildings. As often with wonders/building custom mods, you find yourself with a huge list right at the start, where you can't afford or risk anything else than settler/scouts/warriors, and for a very long time.

I am right now a few turns to Philosophy and I couldn't build a single of those things, the simple thought that one building giving right now, right there, a +2 hammers/turn but it costs 240 is freezing me from taking the risk. Okay, I play on marathon/deity so maybe this could be indeed a negative modifier, yet I believe that enabling them a little later would help to get rid of this frustration feeling I have to press constantly end turn with such long list of builds in the waiting.

Playing right now with this mod enabled. The concept is great, the only slight drawback I could report is the time-line of former buildings. As often with wonders/building custom mods, you find yourself with a huge list right at the start, where you can't afford or risk anything else than settler/scouts/warriors, and for a very long time.

I am right now a few turns to Philosophy and I couldn't build a single of those things, the simple thought that one building giving right now, right there, a +2 hammers/turn but it costs 240 is freezing me from taking the risk. Okay, I play on marathon/deity so maybe this could be indeed a negative modifier, yet I believe that enabling them a little later would help to get rid of this frustration feeling I have to press constantly end turn with such long list of builds in the waiting.

1. If you don't finish building (for example) a Ropemaker in a Coastal city before you advance to the Classical Era:
    • do not adjust your city's building qeue
    • the Ropemaker in the city build qeue will automatically be updated to Cablemaker and your progress in hammers towards the Ropemaker will be preserved and applied towards the Cablemaker.
    • The game will not always make the update on the turn you enter the new era. Sometimes you will have to press 'next turn' before the change-over will be made.
  2. If you do complete a Ropemaker in a Coastal City before you progress to the Classical Era:
    • you are given a time delay between when you enter the Classical Era (and can upgrade your Ropemaker to the Cablemaker level of building) and when the Ropemaker becomes obsolete
    • So, when playing with Era Buildings, you will have to more carefully consider which techs to research after entering a new era.
    • In any city that has the Ropemaker, the Cablemaker level of building will be cheaper in hammers (and gold) than if the Ropemaker was not previously built in the city.
  3. Tho I am using Ropemaker, Cablemaker, and Classical Era as specific example of how the mod works, this concepts in #1 and #2 apply to all the buildings introduced by this mod.
  4. You must more carefully consider which buildings you are going to construct within your cities.
  5. You must as a general-rule make a commitment in City-X that you will keep up with the upgrades to the next better level of building every time you enter a new era. If that commitment does not seem of value in City-X for Building-Type-Y for buildings introduced by this mod, then you simply forego constructing Building-Type-Y in that city until later on, when your city is larger and you have more infrastructure.
  6. The happiness-type buildings never go obsolete, regardless of what might currently be showing on the OP of the thread
  7. You must also think-through the policy-choices you have made or will make especially given the way that policy-choices interplay with the buildings introduced by this mod.
    • If you want to contruct one of the military buildings introduced by this mod, you really ought to be opening Honor (which many players normaly never do) because opening Honor gives an immediate 30% construction-speed-boost to building the Warriors School, and 15% construction-speed-boost to building the Tactical School and War College, while constructing the upgrade building from Warrior School and from Tactical School is boosted slightly more from having adopted the Honor Policy Branch.
    • Similar construction-speed enhancements are given to the other types of buildings introduced by this mod for other policy branches.
    • Some of the policy-choice enhancements are for completing the Policy Branch
      • completing aesthetics will create extra global happiness for every building in your cities for: Haberdashery, Playhouse, Millinery, HorseTrack, TV Station, and VR Projector
  8. You must make focused choices within your cities as to whether you are going to construct one of the buildings introduced by this mod in one of your cities at any particular point in time. But you should not in the ancient era for example expect to construct more than one or two of these buildings in any one city.
  9. It is true that you might actually find yourself never building any of the ancient era buildings on faster gamespeeds, but these ancient era buildings will become far more viable in far more cities at the same time when using one of the mods that extends research times but leaves construction and training times the same as the standard game
  10. 'Building-Choice-Clutter' and the issues this leads to when a player is using a lot of different mods that add wonders or buildings is really outside the scope of this mod. I will say, however, that the focusing of city-build-stratagems for the buildings introduced by this mod is as important in this situation as when not playing with too many other mods that introduce wonders or buildings or shiney new types of units.
  11. The other driving purpose of the mod is to give you an alternative to the usual starting strategy of "X, X, Y, Z" starting-city-build-order without at the same time making the alternative choices (especially those available at the start of the game) stupidly overpowered and gamebreaking, and thereby simply replacing the usual conventional starting-play construct order of always "X, X, Y, Z" with a new one introduced from playing this mod of always "X, Q, Y, Z"

Updated the Civfanatics Download to V11, which adds compatibility to Prehistoric Era Reborn, Enlightenment Era, and Future Worlds mods. Also the Food line of buildings was nerfed a little so the maximum direct food ever added is +4 rather than the rather OP +7/+8 direct food for the later-era versions of the Food Buildings.

Assuming I can get the OP re-written a little to reflect changes made since the last overhaul of the OP, V11 of the mod will be released to the Steam Workshop tomorrow.

I realize your Mod has a great deal of instructions already, but I think you might consider having something regarding the very popular mods by thecrazyscotsman. For the most part, I can see your mod can take the place of many of his buildings and do it in one mod only. However, some of his mods have some very good buildings. For example, the palisade previous to walls. So perhaps your thoughts on using none, some or all of his mods might be in order?

I realize this mod may take a lot of your time, but do you have any plans to go further? One issue I have with Civ is so many buildings don't obsolete. Walls and castles are my biggest issue. I personally feel it should be palisade to walls to castle to Vauben Fortress and pretty much stop given how once you get past around 1850 or so the only city defense options (historically) are mainly designed to be anti-air related. So bomb-shelter (protects people but not buildings) and AA Defense net (acts like a fighter screen)

That being said, I feel most buildings should obsolete or be upgraded but many might be useful later on. Walls and castles, for example, might generate small amounts of tourism. When I was stationed in Bamberg, my brother and I drove south to Nurenburg where they still have the inner walled Imperial City. So while those walls really don't do much in terms of defense, they generate tourism.

Personally, while it would probably take way too much micromanagement, I think it would be nice if as you advance in ages, you'd be given a pop-up screen which would list all the buildings affected in that era. You'd be given a choice: either keep the building or remove it for a gold boost. Going back walls. Keeping them would cost you a bit more maintenance to show the issues of a walled city with modern transportation but again, you'd get a later tourism boost. So do you take the gold early or pay more for a later tourism benefit.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I do feel that most of the classic buildings need the same treatment as this mod. There was an upgradable buildings mod a while ago but it's never been updated as far as I can tell.

I really like this mod but I'm noticing it "conflicts" a bit with the Enlightenment Mod. Not that it doesn't work but that the Enlightenment Mod adds certain buildings which mirror many your mod does.

Case in point is shipyards. In and around the Enlightenment era, you can build your ship improvement building, the Enlightenment Era Drydocks AND in short order shipyards from the base game.

In some respects I think your Mod should be such that it cancels out many of the buildings in the Enlightenment Mod and even the basic vanilla game itself.

Or perhaps modify certain vanilla buildings to make one building geared towards building warships and one geared towards trade. Since there are no more transport ships in Civ V, perhaps the shipyard would give a trade ship bonus and perhaps units built in this city would have a added movement when crossing the water tiles to represent a more efficient civilian ship building system.

It just seems there are too many buildings (like the Tavern) which just take up space when you are using this mod. Again, I like how this mod works but it seems like there are too many duplicate buildings which this mod should (if possible) suppress.

I really like this mod but I'm noticing it "conflicts" a bit with the Enlightenment Mod. Not that it doesn't work but that the Enlightenment Mod adds certain buildings which mirror many your mod does.

Case in point is shipyards. In and around the Enlightenment era, you can build your ship improvement building, the Enlightenment Era Drydocks AND in short order shipyards from the base game.

In some respects I think your Mod should be such that it cancels out many of the buildings in the Enlightenment Mod and even the basic vanilla game itself.

Or perhaps modify certain vanilla buildings to make one building geared towards building warships and one geared towards trade. Since there are no more transport ships in Civ V, perhaps the shipyard would give a trade ship bonus and perhaps units built in this city would have a added movement when crossing the water tiles to represent a more efficient civilian ship building system.

It just seems there are too many buildings (like the Tavern) which just take up space when you are using this mod. Again, I like how this mod works but it seems like there are too many duplicate buildings which this mod should (if possible) suppress.
Hmmm....I'll think about removing the Seaport's <Building_DomainProductionModifiers> entry for Sea units, and think of a decent way to add a compensating buff to the Seaport that is not crazy OP. This would keep the Seaport an 'economic' building, and the Shipyard from this mod a more naval-focused building.

I'm not real comfortable, though, taking liberties with other people's mods. Firaxis-made is fair game -- they aren't going to be offended by anything I do in my mod to their basegame. That is, after all, what every mod does to Firaxis' vision for Civ5 the game.

The problem with completely removing any building (especially those provided by Firaxis) is this can cause other folks mods to fail or to not work as intended. There are too many modded-civs that need the Firaxis-supplied scheme of buildings left intact in order for the civ to have something to do or to use.

Top Bottom