Ethics regarding future updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbwithlemon

Chieftain
One of the most common predictions for a 3rd expansion or even Civ 7 is some kind of plague mechanic.
Considering the current state of Covid-19. How would you feel if that announcement was made today?
I can't imagine it would be received well(unless they donated part of the proceeds).
If you were on the Dev team and you were about to release such an update, would you delay it?

I agree about the freedom of expression. But optics matters, and people may see it as a way to cash in on the virus.

There was no shortage of people complaining about GS making the game political because somehow climate change is a political issue to some people.

IMO it would be bad not only mechanics wise but also very bad marketing for Firaxis. Exploring profit with crysis and panic is always viewed cheap and shallow, even if it was scheduled way before the happenings. They should shut the project and have a new approach

I don't understand the issue. We are currently experiencing climate change: should Gathering Storm not have been released?

Games are allowed to be reflections of life.
There is a slightly different situation. People are genuinely freaking out about Covid-19 and are imminently about to lose loved ones to it. It has a lot more emotional baggage to it.

Currently, I wouldn't personally be offended by it, but I'd understand those that would. Heck, if I lose a loved one, I guarantee I wouldn't want to ever play such a game again.

One of the most common predictions for a 3rd expansion or even Civ 7 is some kind of plague mechanic.
Considering the current state of Covid-19. How would you feel if that announcement was made today?
Perfectly content. If.
Actually, I am quite sure there will be no plague mechanics. Millions of lemmings just can't be right.

I agree about the freedom of expression. But optics matters, and people may see it as a way to cash in on the virus.

There was no shortage of people complaining about GS making the game political because somehow climate change is a political issue to some people.
From my PoV, climate change is a cheap fraud. But I don't object it to be in GS. Just like I didn't object them making Democracy objectively better than Communism.

Despite the "controversy" Gathering Storm was a massive critical success and in all likelihood a great financial boon as well. You can see the above poster is a climate change denier and still likes the expansion. People want these topics addressed in games, IMO.

The most obvious new mechanic for Civ is plague/health, and this is not even really new - prior entries have had it. The current crisis ADDS to the appeal and is no reason to shy away from confronting difficult subject matter. It's more relevant now than ever.

Firaxis is not irreverent or trashy - their implementation of these controversial topics is always thoughtful and respectful.

To summarize it: adding "coronavirus" to the game would be distasteful. Adding "disease" or "plagues" is not.

Some kind of health mechanics maybe but not smart to introduce plagues at this time.

Incidently the game Plague Inc (a strategy game in which you design a pathogen and try to evolve it to wipe out the world) has been going for years. I don't fancy going back to play it atm.

Rightly or wrongly, attitudes towards climate change and its consequences cannot be compared to the all-consuming panic that seems to be everywhere right now. Climate change has and will cost lives, many more than this pandemic will, but it's much more of a 'frog in a slowly boiling pan' situation. Right now with Covid-19, I'm living in an advanced, developed country where people are scared to go out and when they do they are raiding the shops.

If they are planning a plague mechanic of some kind in future DLC I have to think they will be thinking very carefully about announcing it right now. It could be seen as insensitive profiteering.

Some kind of health mechanics maybe but not smart to introduce plagues at this time.

Incidently the game Plague Inc (a strategy game in which you design a pathogen and try to evolve it to wipe out the world) has been going for years. I don't fancy going back to play it atm.

Incidentally, Plague Inc. is doing very well financially right now. It is more popular than ever - and this is a game in which you actively try to kill people with a plague. The same is true for even novels addressing this subject matter:

https://gamerant.com/coronavirus-ring-fit-adventure-nintendo-switch-sales/

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...tional-epidemics-camus-the-plague-dean-koontz

There is no such thing as 'climate change denier'. We all agree the climate changes dynamically from day to day.
That is a moniker was made up by alarmists of human created global warming to debase folks who have a different opinion. The science is not 'set' and accepted so debasing folks who still doubt the idea of it (human induced global warming) is not nice. I love the Gathering storm expansion which has nothing to do with my views on the subject.

There could definitely be an outrage but IMO I see no issue on it at all. Plagues have been part of human history since forever, so it's not like they'd be saying "we are adding Covid-19 to the game!", and knowing Firaxis they'd avoid making it too strong to avoid controversy. If anything they could give it a positive spin by focusing on the ways to deal with plagues (potentially a health mechanic and medic units or something). Plus I highly doubt that the whole focus for the expansion would have been plagues so it's not like that'd be the only thing they would market.

If anything I'd be more troubled if they released the red death battle royale thing during the ongoing situation :p

Incidentally, Plague Inc. is doing very well financially right now. It is more popular than ever - and this is a game in which you actively try to kill people with a plague. The same is true for even novels addressing this subject matter:

https://gamerant.com/coronavirus-ring-fit-adventure-nintendo-switch-sales/

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...tional-epidemics-camus-the-plague-dean-koontz
The difference is Plague Inc has been around for such a long time that it can't be accused of being released in response to the pandemic or of insensitivity. That wouldn't apply to new content announced now or in the immediate future, regardless of when it was developed.

I just think it would be naive to assume the on-going situation will have no impact on their plans for Civ if indeed there is a disease or plague mechanic involved.

Yes, while the current situation does require us to be mindful of health, having it dominate our lives will be like not living at all.

Personally I think they should leave plague mechanics out of the game because they're unlikely to be fun.

Gathering Storm added disasters, but at least they had pros as well as cons. Even so, a category-4 hurricane blasting through your harbour city is not a pleasant experience.

Civ 6 is already overloaded with systems. Adding another one that just grinds your growth to a halt for several turns while you deal with a random disaster is not a particularly appealing prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom