Resource icon

Ethnic Diversity (R.E.D. Unofficial) v.29 beta 5b

May I ask for instructions on how to put in a new unit model using Nexus Buddy (like editing the gr2 file to get the dds)? And should I use ModBuddy to "update" the SQL file to include the new change?
The only reason I brought up Nexus Buddy is if you want to be "lazy" (I see that's not you) and drop in a replacement model by renaming all the files to the names used by an existing model.

You needn't worry about using ModBuddy; you can use a text editor for everything except for posting a mod to the Steam Workshop.

I added this at the very end of SQL\3-InsertArtDefines.sql... I tried both adding it before and after the END...
It must be after the END.

In any case, the issue you're having is that unfortunately you can't assume that Firaxis was consistent with the internal unit names. Although it is a "UNIT_CHARIOT_ARCHER" using the UnitArtInfo tag "ART_DEF_UNIT_CHARIOT_ARCHER" (with an underscore between CHARIOT and ARCHER), the member type tag that you want to use is actually "ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_CHARIOTARCHER" (no underscore between CHARIOT and ARCHER).

As for the problem with actually using danrell's chariots for the chariot archer is that they don't actually include any archers, so the animations aren't right and so it doesn't really work.

Ah I see. Thank you. So (hopefully) my final question. Going back to adding custom models, like the Geraldino or Xia's Tuo Ma, here's what I plan to do.

1. Generate an MD5 code for the 3 or 4 files like the .dds and .fsxml.
2. Insert the codes in the .mod file
3. Copy said files in the apporpriate folder (i.e. China)
4. Add the UPDATE code in the SQL file with the new models written in it.

Is this right?

Last edited:
You're welcome to give the chariots a try and see what you think. I have danrell's chariot animations included even though they're not currently used, so you'll have working animations and you shouldn't have the weird rotation bug.
1. Generate an MD5 code for the 3 or 4 files like the .dds and .fsxml.
2. Insert the codes in the .mod file
3. Copy said files in the apporpriate folder (i.e. China)
4. Add the UPDATE code in the SQL file with the new models written in it.
That looks right, except that the MD5 is unnecessary. Just remove the md5="..." part from the tag.

Perhaps I'll talk to sukritact about using the Tuo Ma in the next version of ED.

Hey,
so there's a modmod in vp called (more) unique units,
in that mod they gave the dromon back to Byzantium and replace the early ranged naval unit with penteconter with its own graphics.
but when I activate this mod with it, the penteconter uses the dromon graphics instead of the penteconter created

I was wondering how do I make the penteconter load the penteconter skin instead of the dromon one

I was wondering how do I make the penteconter load the penteconter skin instead of the dromon one
That's a pretty easy fix. Open "MODS\Ethnic Diversity (vanilla scale) (v 29)\SQL\7-ModCompatibility.sql" and add the following the bottom:
Code:
UPDATE ArtDefine_UnitMemberInfos SET Model = 'battle_galley.fxsxml' WHERE Type = 'ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_U_BYZANTIUM_DROMON';
UPDATE ArtDefine_UnitMemberInfos SET Scale = '0.09' WHERE Type = 'ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_U_BYZANTIUM_DROMON';

Urm I was wondering does this mod works with JFD cultural diversity mod?
When using both the mods together, the music/soundtrack from JFD cultural diversity doesn't work properly and they play the same music for all the civs....

Many CS units are unchanged from vanilla, how to change them?

I'd rather have "Arabic Spearman" model for, say, Moroccan spearman than the horrible vanilla one.

Is there any easy way to do it?

Urm I was wondering does this mod works with JFD cultural diversity mod?
So sorry for the delay. There shouldn't be a conflict. With only the 4 mods active (2 for E.D., 2 for C.D.), does this occur for you?

Many CS units are unchanged from vanilla, how to change them?
To make your changes the "right" way, assuming you have a copy of Microsoft Excel, go to the GitHub <https://github.com/Nutzzz/Civ5-EthnicDiversity>, download newunits.xlsm, and use the button on the second tab to generate a new .sql file. Copy the .sql file over the one in your MODS folder. If you sent me the spreadsheet when you've finished testing your changes, then I could just drop it in.

If you don't have Excel or can't make the spreadsheet work, you could just use the method from a few posts above, #449. In this case, still feel free to send me what you come up with.

Thank you very much for the response Nutty!

One more favor I'd like to ask if you don't mind, could you tell me somewhat detailed steps to follow with newunits.xlsm if, say, I wanted to replace Moroccan Spearman model,
which is unchanged from vanilla, with Arabic Spearman model?

Or what would you do to make that happen?

Last edited:
For now I think I'll settle for the method of changing Moroccan suffix to _Arabia by directly modifying 1-ArtStyleConfig.sql, since that's the only thing that worked for me so far.

I may have found a reason why I'm seeing this many vanilla units for CS; it seems that "Fallback" is not working for CS somehow, so if it can't find the unique model attributed to suffix
it just uses a vanilla model.

I may have found a reason why I'm seeing this many vanilla units for CS; it seems that "Fallback" is not working for CS somehow, so if it can't find the unique model attributed to suffix
it just uses a vanilla model.
That's true, @Dolen , thanks for the reminder. I never finished implementing Fallback for the MinorCivilizations table when I rewrote the SQL! It looks like it'll only really be helpful for 10 of the 58 CS's, but that's something, anyway. Note there are still going to be a lot of vanilla models; even though I've added thousands of models, it still covers less than half of the units of the major civs, and the CS's end up sharing units with the major civs or getting a few "leftovers". Unfortunately, that's not likely to change since there aren't any unit modders working on Civ5.

I'll try to post some SQL for you to test soon.

I'm now making my own version of Ethnic Diversity adding units by directly adding lines in 1-JEDUnitGraphicConfig.sql. (When it's done I can send it to you so that you can test and see whether it's fit to be released)

However, I'm now experiencing a problem where it might have hit what I suppose to be "line limit (maximum number of lines to be put)".
Can you confirm there is such a thing?

Edit: Never mind, I think I sorted it out.

Last edited:
I've been making my own version of Ethnic Diversity specifically for Vox populi,
and could I get permission to release it in the VP thread with credit
given where it's due?

I've been making my own version of Ethnic Diversity specifically for Vox populi,
and could I get permission to release it in the VP thread with credit
given where it's due?
You may, but if you don't mind I'd prefer not to fork the project, as I'd already started VP support (as you may have noticed).

Perhaps you could share what you've developed? Did you leverage the Excel macros in newunits.xlsm or just hand-edit the .sql?

Have you used GitHub before? This is what it's for, after all: https://github.com/Nutzzz/Civ5-EthnicDiversity

Top Bottom