EU4 game question

I used to think that war score (aka bad boy score) was such a brilliant way to handle diplomacy in Paradox strategy games. But I'm sorry, ever since that wicked company went greedy with 50 billion DLC offerings for each game costing a net worth of 75 billion dollars I saw them for the wicked men they are.

So I'm back to playing C3C which was made in a more elegant time.

I used to think that war score (aka bad boy score) was such a brilliant way to handle diplomacy in Paradox strategy games. But I'm sorry, ever since that wicked company went greedy with 50 billion DLC offerings for each game costing a net worth of 75 billion dollars I saw them for the wicked men they are.

So I'm back to playing C3C which was made in a more elegant time.
You don't need all the DLC. I don't own all the DLC for Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV, just the ones that focus on the regions I tend to play the most in, and I have a blast playing both games

(Though EU4's ridiculous design means that sometimes they include stuff in updates that's tied to stuff that you only get from DLC e.g. to complete a mission in the Moroccan mission tree you need to raise a certain sum of ducats from raiding, but the raiding mechanic is only unlocked from a certain DLC)

I agree, you don't really need any of the DLC if you're happy with playing any of their base games. Certain ones definitely are a must have imho like the ones that revolutionize a gameplay mechanic with the base game.

(Though EU4's ridiculous design means that sometimes they include stuff in updates that's tied to stuff that you only get from DLC e.g. to complete a mission in the Moroccan mission tree you need to raise a certain sum of ducats from raiding, but the raiding mechanic is only unlocked from a certain DLC)
This right here is what confuses me to no end with their games. Which DLC should I get but if I get it will I be able to finish it due to convoluted patches/updates?

This right here is what confuses me to no end with their games. Which DLC should I get but if I get it will I be able to finish it due to convoluted patches/updates?
Finish a game? I've finished plenty games despite not having all the DLC.

The Morocco mission issue I was speaking of wasn't game-ending. Mission trees are optional, they give you targets to achieve and bonuses as a reward, but you can ignore them and play your own way.

As for which DLC are must-get, I'm not sure. I've had a fair number of DLC from the start, and I'm not sure which DLC unlocks which features

Edit: The El Dorado DLC is good if you want to play as a create your own nation with custom ideas, tech etc. The drawbacks to custom nations is that most non-European cultures have ridiculous name sets which spoil the immersion, and they don't have nation-specific events or flavour. But it's fun to mix and match with your own national ideas

Last edited:
I play EUIV usually on 2 or 3 versions behind the current one - one can revert to old old patch that matches the DLC you own. I'm currently playing on Lions of the North or Leviathan - not sure actually ha - but been playing it for a year getting some more achievements. Regardless, I've never paid full retail for the DLC. However, I do agree that their DLC model is way overpriced. Still love the game though.

The game now at full retail is easily over $400 now.

Yeah, always talk of this or that DLC that one SHOULD own like Art of War and Common Sense, but imo it still feels awkward just not having all of it - up to a patch. Most old dlcs now one can get bundled for pretty cheap on sale. There is a wiki with the patch # to dlc here. You can see the latest patch that matches the related DLCs and you can revert the game to the patch. I've played this game this way for the past decade for the most part - only issue being that older patches can sometimes be a tad buggy.

Last edited:
Maybe I should pick up EUIV during the next Steam sale. I do have HOI4 and Stellaris but have never finished either of them in victory.

A long time ago, before Steam was a thing, I owned and played EU, the original game. I do remember liking the game but lost interest and never came back. You guys have at least convinced me to give it another go.

Maybe I should pick up EUIV during the next Steam sale. I do have HOI4 and Stellaris but have never finished either of them in victory.

A long time ago, before Steam was a thing, I owned and played EU, the original game. I do remember liking the game but lost interest and never came back. You guys have at least convinced me to give it another go.
Yeah, I played EUIII a bit ...really bad at it. The trade system was just bonkers. EU IV simplified some of those mechanics. I mean it is still quite a complex game but certain mechanics are more user-friendly - just the whole monarch point system. I played CKII until EU IV which I still play a lot of to this day. Never played HOI or Stellaris. I just really like the CK and EU eras better.

I'd say look for a sale and bundle that gets you up to like Mandate of Heaven or around there and tool around for a bit - just find the matching patch. (You do need to register on Paradox so you can get a code to activate the beta patches)

EUIV is imo definitely an improvement over EuIII. EuIII was very good too. The issue with EuIV is the issue with Paradox: they are just way too greedy. They released afaik 20 DLCs for EuIV, and you can't argue that by far the primary reason was not to take advantage of their fans. And while certainly only a small minority would have bought most of those DLCs at full price, consider that anyone having done so would have ended paying over 400 dollars for this game - which is appalling ^^

As for complexity, I wouldn't go overboard to say that EuIV is complex - certainly far less about crucial player decisions than Victoria II. In EuIV you just press buttons to upgrade stuff, not much freedom for economic decisions.

You should be able to roll back to earlier patches without needing a Paradox account, through the game's Properties menu in your Steam library.

I used to play a lot of EU4, and it was really fun for a time but I eventually got burnt out on it. The concept of spending imaginary points that accrue over time for other imaginary statistics didn't really appeal to me anymore, but that's probably an extreme view of the game.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 10.33.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 10.33.50 AM.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 9
The only restrictions on rollbacks are to pre-GDPR versions, which aren't available via Steam unless you enter a code that you can find on the Paradox forums. I think it's a legal thing, because the old versions aren't GDPR compliant they must be opt-in. But as a new player, you'd have no need for them.

I have mixed feelings on Paradox DLC. They certainly made it too fine-grained for a while there, though they've stepped back on that front. But also, EU4 is a ten-year-old game. If Civ3 were still being updated in 2011, ten years after release, it would likely have had ten expansion packs, and as the retail price was $30 (at least where I lived in the U.S.), the DLCs would cost $300 at full price - plus $50 for the base game, for $350 total. There's more sticker shock when you see the total price for all EU4 expansions on Steam, ten years in, but IMO it winds up being in the same ballpark as what Civ III could have been with ten years of updates. For that matter, Civ VI with all expansions adds up to a decent sum too, although Firaxis is more generous with the discounts than Paradox (who mainly only does > 50% discounts on DLCs via the rare Humble Bundle).

If you liked the original EU, you'll probably like EU4. I only went as far back as EU2, but the general spirit is there, though obviously a lot has changed. As for the learning curve - well, you've played HOI4 and Stellaris, it's similar. Halfway decent at explaining things, and the Wiki's always there for what needs more clarification.

Although, as a moderator of the Civ3 forum, I should warn you that if EU4 is to your liking, it may decrease the amount of time you spend playing Civ. Thus I'd carefully consider whether that's an outcome that you want to open the door to before buying it. Going back to Civ3 in never a bad decision.

I actually had the original Eu, and then Eu2/Eu3.
Eu2 wasn't that different to Eu1, though iirc in Eu1 you could only play as the "major powers".
The hype for the Byzantine Empire was already there, as I was reading a pc magazine (times past...) in London, containing the information about Eu2 letting you play as any nation on the map (the magazine image had Constantinople, of course) ^^

Top Bottom