Eurocentrism to the Max!!! What we gonna do?

Why do you think there is no diversity between different euro civs?

I didn't say that, I'm addressing the stupid eurocentrism arguement.

I don't care what makes the cut, they're all fun as long as they have fun and exciting game abilities, that's all that should really matter. Hell, if I make a scenario I'm renaming Pedro to Portugal for a Scenario I want to make :lol:

i do not understand this argument. literally *ALL* of the western nations in Civ6 have been part of every Civ game so far. The only thing this leak confirmed is that the Norsemen are in over the Ottomans/Persians. THAT'S IT.

Even then, there's plenty of variation between classical, medieval and modern empires, moreso than usual.

Stop freaking out, check your anti-euro sentiments at the door and if you don't like it: fine, don't buy the game. Don't let the door hit you on the way out :) :) :)

I was wondering when this thread will come up.

I don't think civ6 is particulary more eurocentric than other civs. We can most likely expect a bunch of DLC's for diferent leaders and civs anyway.

i do not understand this argument. literally *ALL* of the western nations in Civ6 have been part of every Civ game so far. The only thing this leak confirmed is that the Norsemen are in over the Ottomans/Persians. THAT'S IT.

Even then, there's plenty of variation between classical, medieval and modern empires, moreso than usual.

Stop freaking out, check your anti-euro sentiments at the door and if you don't like it: fine, don't buy the game. Don't let the door hit you on the way out :) :) :)

+100000000000

I can tolerate any kind of political correct except for the anti-eurocentrism one.

I'm not freaking out. (Okay maybe a little. ;)) There's no need to be rude. If you're fine with the initial civ list that's your bag, broseph. If not, this is a place to vent a little, but mostly to try and pressure them to add some sorely missing civs. I know they will add them eventually, but that doesn't change the fact that they made some poor choices and should work to quickly add a few more.

The problem is that a lot of people in this forum just hate non-euro civs.

This is so true. The "anti-PC," "pro-classics," "brown people haven't contributed to human civilization" crowd is large on Civ fanatics.

I'm praying they make more African civs (Mali, Ethiopia, Zulu, an E African civ, etc.), West Asian (Mughals, Persia, Mongols), and more Latin American/Indigenous civs (Inca, Maya, Gran Colombia, Taino, Aboriginal, Inuit, Creek/Seminole). I would fork over $$ for an indigenous peoples pack or an African Civ pack. It's a shame that they don't simply expand the roster when planing but I trust Ed to take the inclusivity he worked for in Civ5 and go further with Civ6. I think we underestimate the expansion potential of this game given how much is included in the base game in terms of mechanics.

as for the OTHER thing which has people FUH-REAKING out: yes, there are two Greek leaders. As you may remember from the leader bingo, there will also be two Spanish leaders (um, probably, in the not-so-distant future)

There is no indication whatsoever that there are two different Greek CIVILIZATIONS. 18 Civs + Aztecs is what was announced and this is still holding up, with Poland as one of the 3 DLC Civs.

The only thing this leak confirmed is that the Norsemen are in over the Ottomans/Persians. THAT'S IT.

Pericles and Gorgo do suggest a Peloponnesian DLC (maybe deluxe edition), I would expect other favorites like Persia and Alexander (be it with Greece or Macedonia) to make its appeareance on DLC as well.

Also,a whole lot of civs and multiple leaders could be bundled together on dlc's, Mongols, Korea, Byzantium, Ottomans, Isabella, Mayans and Inca, etc.

I've been saying this for a while, but the visual style and civ structure does seem like it has a much maneagable pipeline than civ5's, we should expect lots of dlcs between expansions.

Maybe we can enjoy a successful launch commercially and thus expect a great variety of Civs to come in expansions and DLC? Why look for negatives instead of positives?

I want more non-Euro Civs, perhaps focusing on early commercial success means we will get more non-Euro civs than we might otherwise.

I actually don't mind the now all-but-confirmed list of launch Civs. Civ always has been and always will be a game that takes a Eurocentric slant on things because it's developed by people whose understanding of history is informed by a very European/western outlook. That's not only OK, it's kind of inevitable.

I'm all for more variety, though. Persia, the Ottomans and a South-East Asian Civ are the only omissions that really bother me. It's also strange that the only native American (speaking of the Americas as a whole) Civ doesn't get added until 3 months after launch. These are regrettable omissions and I hope to see them rectified by DLC as soon as possible.

But then again, I love the Vikings and everything about that period of history and its culture, so at the end of the day I'm actually kind of hyped that Harald will be in at launch. I'm not really going to complain if his inclusion comes at the expense of the Inca or someone more historically or geographically 'deserving'.

Looking forward to the expansion:
CIV VI: Beyond Europe

:lol:

Much ado about nothing, this thread ;)

The list is NOT EuroCentric in any significant way !

11 out of 18 isn't Eurocentric? :confused:

TThe quicker they get through all the Europeans ones, the more room it opens for TSL. Which makes sense with what they said.

This post makes no sense. There's nothing to "get through". They can have as many European civs as they want. It's not like there's a hard number of European civs that need to be in the game OR like there's anything stopping them from giving non-European civs too.

I think people are more upset given the break down per region. The majority are non-euro civs but the non-euro section can be divided into several regions, each with a small number relative to the euro/western pile.

I think this is one of the best base games in terms of diversity, however I understand the complaints of other posters. There's work to be done and this thread will hopefully let the developers know that there is a desire for more inclusivity. It still looks like the best game in the series and I'll still be buying it. Nothin wrong with providing constructive criticism :)

The English word civilization comes from the 16th-century French civilisé (civilized), from Latin civilis (civil), related to civis (citizen) and civitas (city).

It's to be expect when even the word CIVILIZATION comes from Europe. I assume we'll be getting geographically thematic-ish xpacks tho.

Ultimately, you'll have to deal with it tho

I'm not freaking out. (Okay maybe a little. ;)) There's no need to be rude. If you're fine with the initial civ list that's your bag, broseph. If not, this is a place to vent a little, but mostly to try and pressure them to add some sorely missing civs. I know they will add them eventually, but that doesn't change the fact that they made some poor choices and should work to quickly add a few more.

I suppose i could have been more diplomatical. People are always going to complain, I guess this includes complaints about other people's complaints just as well. :lol:

I have confidence that we'll get our fair share of non-euro civs in the future. I already said n another thread, but we got two brand-new non-euro civs in the base game. There are plenty of options available for growth, whereas the opportunities of us getting more Euro civs at this stage is limited to... what? The Netherlands, Celtia, Byzantium and Portugal? Maybe Hungary? Anything more than those 4-5 in future expansions would be an upset.

I'm not freaking out. (Okay maybe a little. ;)) There's no need to be rude. If you're fine with the initial civ list that's your bag, broseph. If not this is a place to vent a little, but mostly to try and pressure them to add some sorely missing civs. I know they will add them eventually, but that doesn't change the fact that they made some poor choices and should work to quickly add a few more.

I've no doubt they will. But I'm still horribly upset that I'll likely be expected to give them money for that extra diversity.

If the game is good I'll end up doing that anyways though. *sigh*

I think people are more upset given the break down per region. The majority are non-euro civs but the non-euro section can be divided into several regions, each with a small number relative to the euro/western pile.

I think this is one of the best base games in terms of diversity, however I understand the complaints of other posters. There's work to be done and this thread will hopefully let the developers know that there is a desire for more inclusivity. It still looks like the best game in the series and I'll still be buying it. Nothin wrong with providing constructive criticism :)

Thank you! That's all I was trying to do. I shouldn't have chosen such an inflammatory thread title.

I suppose i could have been more diplomatical. People are always going to complain, I guess this includes complaints about other people's complaints just as well. :lol:

I have confidence that we'll get our fair share of non-euro civs in the future. I already said n another thread, but we got two brand-new non-euro civs in the base game. There are plenty of options available for growth, whereas the opportunities of us getting more Euro civs at this stage is limited to... what? The Netherlands, Celtia, Byzantium and Portugal? Maybe Hungary? Anything more than those 4-5 in future expansions would be an upset.

Thanks! Me too.

You make a good point about there being not many left to go to in the future. I just hope that some of the more galling missing civs (Persia, Mongolia, Inca) are announced before release, so I can make a more informed decision as to pre-order, or not.

Top Bottom