Europa Universalis IV

Dev Diary 2

What are your opinions?

Mine, so far, are negative, they basically changed the trade routes (which I'll probably just automate anyway) and removed a lot of other things. They're not even trying to fix stuff like the daymos, they're just removing them, I don't know if it's laziness or them saving it for later so they can milk the costumer even more with their DLCs.

Dev Diary 2

What are your opinions?

Mine, so far, are negative, they basically changed the trade routes (which I'll probably just automate anyway) and removed a lot of other things. They're not even trying to fix stuff like the daymos, they're just removing them, I don't know if it's laziness or them saving it for later so they can milk the costumer even more with their DLCs.

well most of the cited things needed an improvement anyway...

I am crossing fingers they do something with peacetime in EU being a bit more involving and interesting.

So spies, magistrates, sliders, CoTs, cultural tradition, automatic cores and the shogunate have all been removed. That will be interesting to see how they go from there. It's still a long time from release.

EU4 not being just a remake of EU3 is a good thing in my book. And if they had to implement every feature of all four EU3 expansions they would hardly have room in the game or time to develop new features and mechanics. I want new stuff, not the old stuff with shiny new graphics.

I just hope they pull of this release with a game that feels somewhat complete like CK2. Rather than EU3 which on release felt like a blank slate with little to do untill the expansions started coming (talk about milking the customers for money, look at EU3. If you bought the game and then every expansion on release it would cost what, over 100 euros?! And you actually HAD to buy them to get patches and new features compared to the new policy.).

CK2 feels "somewhat complete"?

When did our standards got this low?

Did you play EU3 at release? Vicky1, HoI2 and EU3(particularly) had almost HoI3 and Rome levels of bad releases. Seems you are looking with rose-tinted glasses at games that had years of patching and expansions before they reached their heydays.

CK2 at release was leagues ahead of any other paradox realease day games.

So spies, magistrates, sliders, CoTs, cultural tradition, automatic cores and the shogunate have all been removed. That will be interesting to see how they go from there. It's still a long time from release.

Agreed.

I'll give them credit for telling us what stuff they're not going to be having.

Now the interesting thing will be precisely what they will be replacing all of these with. That's more important, I guess.

But removing sliders... wow, I'm a little surprised at that.

Also, how will they handle Japan now? I don't want another SE Asian Japanese Empire 500 years before it really happened.

Dev Diary 2

What are your opinions?

Milk their customers? It's a business, they are allowed to make money.
At least something like Sword of Islam adds some game mechanics, unlike the stupidly expensive Civ 5 DLC.

I like what they are doing, stuff like a new core system is exciting.

At least something like Sword of Islam adds some game mechanics, unlike the stupidly expensive Civ 5 DLC.

That is what Steam deals are for. :lol:

EU3 expansions don't feel like they're milking the game series, since they actually do improve/expand on the game. Sims 3 is a better example of expansion milking.

well I got CK II in Summer Sale so can't speak for release, but the summer sale edition was absolutely OK from consumer's viewpoint.

no crashes, game run smoothly etc.

Did you play EU3 at release? Vicky1, HoI2 and EU3(particularly) had almost HoI3 and Rome levels of bad releases. Seems you are looking with rose-tinted glasses at games that had years of patching and expansions before they reached their heydays.

CK2 at release was leagues ahead of any other paradox realease day games.
I don't think he's saying that. I think he's saying that Paradox never released a complete game, and the fact that the community has seized on Crusader Kings 2 as "complete" means that their standards for a complete game have dipped considerably because of this.

I would even go further and say that EU3, for instance, was never a complete game, despite four expansions and zillions of patches.

I don't think he's saying that. I think he's saying that Paradox never released a complete game, and the fact that the community has seized on Crusader Kings 2 as "complete" means that their standards for a complete game have dipped considerably because of this.

I would even go further and say that EU3, for instance, was never a complete game, despite four expansions and zillions of patches.
Then just what is a "complete" game? Honestly, I doubt games of this caliber could ever be called complete. These historical games have such huge scopes, so there is always something else you can add/improve on.

The fundamental problem is that a true complete game would make Magna Mundi look like speedy design work.

Top Bottom