Europe map - 108 by 89

Don't know about Russian resources, all I'm concerned about is how far they are from their rivals, and how much space they get to expand. More room for expansion = more expansion = bigger empires. I don't consider it a problem as I'm not too concerned about balance (as a matter of fact I like it when nations are uneven, you can play one for an "easy run" and another for a challenge), just pointing it out.

Ok, I've done some work to it - by around 200 turns in, the nations are generally even, with a few being better and a few worse. Usually, Mongolia does the worst, and Egypt/whoever gets central Europe (Austria or Germany, usually) tend to be at top.

I am thinking I will grab this map to make some changes to my one in Road to War - European scenario, with the detail you have prepared.

That might be an issue with the game settings, or the file itself. I'll give it a check and get back to you.

EDIT: Yes, the file has a line at the top (if you open it with notepad) where Max Turns = 500. I think if you delete that line, or change it to your preference, then you can have more than 500 turn limit.

I am only half through my first game, but I am loving this map.

Military win on this will be quite a chore. (as real life leaders can attest, trying to take over all of Europe is quite a chore)

I am only half through my first game, but I am loving this map.

Military win on this will be quite a chore. (as real life leaders can attest, trying to take over all of Europe is quite a chore)

Hah, that is indeed the case. Good to know that you are enjoying it; any input regarding balancing of the map after you are finished would be great.

Carthage has some nice land overall, but a sad capital.

Viking capital is pretty weak and they always attack Germany.

these are just tiny nitpicks, as overall this is a fantastic job done.

Carthage has some nice land overall, but a sad capital.

Viking capital is pretty weak and they always attack Germany.

these are just tiny nitpicks, as overall this is a fantastic job done.

Thanks for the help, I have been having problems with my computer of late (my drive is entirely reformatted), so I must reinstall my game and everything. I'll make Carthage a better, more-capable-of-isolationism country, and consider moving the Vikings into Sweden or the Oslo region. I'll try and get an update out before the end of the week.

Hi. I'm a newbie to CivFanatics, less than 30 days a member, and quite proud to read posts, see user created maps and scenarios, and sort of follow discussions about the best computer simulation game ever that tracks the evolution of humanity from a bunch of savages in the center of Africa to the peoples we are today. (I'm not sure we're really any "better" than those ancient hunter-gatherers; we just have cooler tech than they did, like computers and stuff.)

Anyway, on to my question about your European Map: are all the CIVs starting locations "frozen?" I hate it when I get a computer generated map, and I discover 5 civs within 10 tiles of my starting city.

So if I select say Germany, will that city (or that settler) be where you show it on your map here?

BTW, the map looks really cool. Thanks for the hard work. I can barely play the game, so learning how to create maps or scenarios is well off in the future for me.

Thankfully, there's dedicated playes such as you who enjoy doing that hard work and sharing it with the rest of us.

Best,
Civnutplayer

Thanks, and yes, the starting locations are static; Germany starts off in the Berlin area, the British in the London area, Russians at Moscow, etc. They are spaced reasonable distances; some are closer than others (Spain and Portugal, Vikings and Germans) for game play and historical reasons.

I know this thread is dead, and the OP probably doesnt play anymore..but i wanted to say thanks for this map as its been fantastic fun (although with 200 cities laid down im not sure how ill get a domination!)

As far as balance is concerned... at 900ad as the british im ahead tech wise, but russia and the turks are turning into massive monsters...

And ragnar STILL attacked me 1200bc...does he have 'attack the player asap' programmed or what lol

Hey Nirv4v4!
First I wanted to say thanks to you ! Your map is awesome! I have been playing it for about 6 months now. And I don't know how you did that, but the map is really balanced !

Are you planning to improve it? Maybe add a civilization? Or perhaps add some leaders for each civilization! That would be very nice!

Thanks again!

Thanks for the kind words, I put a lot of time into making this map good-looking and balanced. The way that I balanced it was, I started a game as Hannibal (Carthage), walled off North Africa with a wall of ice or mountains, and let the game go on until about 1950 (when the turns started to get tediously long). Then, I would 'retire', and take a look at the game's statistics up to that point. As Hannibal's in-game presence wouldn't really affect England, Russia, or Austria etc etc too much, I could get a sense of who did the best. My goal was to, after performing multiple trials, have a variety of winners and losers by that point in the game. If one faction was doing too well, I would remove some resources; if the faction was lagging behind, I would add more resources. Finally, to get a balanced Carthage in there, I did the same thing, just with England. Viola! a map where every leader has a chance of winning!

And of course I placed resources somewhat strategically; lots of horses in the Pontic-Caspian steppe, lots of gold/silver in the southern Carpathians, wine in the Mediterranean, etc.

I don't play this game at all anymore, but I am sure adding in a new leader, changing a civ, or making basic improvements won't be too hard, once you get a hang of editing the .xml files for the game. It isn't as difficult as it sounds; I could do it when I was a lad of but fourteen years! Have a good one.

Great map! And great job on the placing barbarian cities on both versions!
Question: I like marathon, so what should I do with the line maxturns?
Marathon has 1500 turns, so should I just delete that line and play on marathon, or shpuld I change maxturns to 1500?
Thanks!

Top Bottom