Ever Been Nuked By the AI?

Originally posted by FionnMcCumhall
your a scary person to do a nuclear war against :)

You are referring to me? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Praetorian
Had the *&^%#$&*^%$ nuked out of me simultaneously by five other civs . And all I did was to slightly violate a ROP and a MPP by accidently dropping 17 nukes on Germany.

What do you mean, accidental? You were 'j' stacking ICBMs and you accidentally pressed the "b" button and hit Germany?

Originally posted by me4peace
practically unprovoked first strike nuclear attack by the bablyonians led to the near destruction of seven of my cities (didn't have sdi yet).

ouch, but of course that is the way to do it. Build up a bunch of ICBMs as part of your prewar force massing. And then with the declaration of war drop them on the major cities. Quite effective in hobbling even strong civ's. Of course I prefer to have enough nukes to take hit most of the enemy cities (really destroy their economy that way). And in the end game getting lots of nukes is pretty easy, since that is about all that is left to build in my primary cities.

yes, mad bomber and all the rest--the americans needed to a-bomb japan,

My main objection here (I do feel that nukes shouldn't be used, but feel that it also needed to be used once to show the horror) is that people seem to be conveniently to be forgetting that we already were specifically targetting civillian populations and that nukes were only a minor component of it. Nukes may me immoral, but make sure to also direct your objections at the firebombing raids which killed many multiples more civilians.

the israelis are only defending themselves agaist the people they stole the land from,

Might I suggest a course in recent history? The only reason why Israel has that land is the unprovocted attacks by their neighbors (twice). Now this is not to say that they aren't blameless in their actions afterwards, but they did not "steal" that land. I am sure you are familiar with the concept of if you attack me I'm going to fight you back and then some more as well (heck in Civ this is how I gain most of my territory, as I rarely start a fight but sure as heck I finish it).

bush the elder never had a secret relationship with saddam hussain or al-qaida (back then the holy warriors liberating themselves from the evil communists),

Not sure if it was quite so secret, but it just proves that we have to be careful in picking our allies. Since we need to make sure our proxies are not only good fighters, but also have at least a semi-complaint view of the world. And with Iraq we have learned the lesson of never give someone tech that you don't want to see used against yourself in the future. (was really a smart idea to give him chemical weapon tech, don't know what they were thinking:crazyeye: )

... egypt and saudi arabia are moderate arab states. ha!
Iraq is actually one of the most moderate states, but of course that is because Saddam would not tolerate having to share power with fundamentalist clerics.

Now back to topic :) As the off topic discussion has brought up, I do think some changes should be made to nukes (or at least for Civ4). One their pollution should be different than regular pollution, be harder to clean up (maybe actually take longer under republics and democracy - who is going to willingly walk into a radioactive area). Also nuclear pollution should have a chance of doing damage to a unit (and killing workers) if it is in that tile and cities could loose pop, just like with disease.

The other modification would be to put in a cumulative effect. The more nukes that explode during a given turn (or the past few turns), the more devastating some kind of world effect would be (of course variable by map size). For a few nukes, no global effects would be felt. But explode a lot and you could get a nuclear winter effect (various tiles have their production reduced by one or more) and random radiation pollution could appear on the map (representing the radioactive plumes).

Right now there is no detriment to dropping a couple dozen nukes on your enemy in one turn. But make a few tweaks and do that and you won't have anything worth capturing and your own empire is going to be suffering the effects of nuclear winter and the consequental starvation.

We've already discussed this sort of matter ("Why nukes should be changed") in another thread. It was said that there should be, like you mentioned, a fallout effect after dropping nukes. Worldwide smog and contamination was generally the tweak that should be made to make nukes more lethal.

Nukes for me are pointless unless I'm sure the AI will not declare war on me. And even after a nuke strike, cities can remain amazingly resilant. They should be used as a finishing factor, not as a start-off factor. I nuked six cities once and it took six turns after that to take over them. And my ally AI did that, not me.

Well, me4peace, congratulations! You have earned a 10.0 on the Sultan Bhargash rant-o-meter!

I agree with your principles but want to point out that there is nothing wrong with bashing Saddam either... we can't let him off the hook just because we have our own brands of misdeed. These are complicated times, and I think despite the jingoism and war rhetoric our leaders in the Senate and even the much maligned executive branch have acted responsibly thus far. Just as I am convinced that all of the peace protest/leftist ranting in the world won't stop the US government from making war if it decides it wants to, I also now rest assured that all of the right wing raving won't push them to make war if they are assured it isn't necessary.

To say that we are no better than our worst enemies may be "metaphysically" true if like me, you uphold certain religious and ethical principles that all folks are created equal. The innocents who have been captivated by Saddam for a very long time (and YES, we all know, largely through our helping him) and who will get in the way of any bombs we decide to drop are indeed equal to the innocents who lost their lives to terrorism. If nothing else, Bush made them all equal victims of war when he declared "war" on no country but the terror itself. Indeed, our analysts call terrorists "assymetric warfare" which to me begs the question if warfare is not "assymetric terrorism" - whether it is a big army like Saddams invading Kuwait or a bigger force like the coalition attacking Saddam.

As far as the anti-zionist part of your rant, I disagree. If America had wanted to put their full weight behind either side in the Israel-Palestine conflict, that conflict would have been resolved one way or another long ago. The fact that we don't reflects, in my mind, not hesitation, but a sophisticated understanding that this is not a morally clear issue, whatever Arafat or Sharon (or Pat Robertson, for that matter) would have us think.

Finally, you have to examine your statements and learn a hard truth I have only recently been able to come to grips with - hate doesn't end by hate, as Buddha said, and while it is easy to apply that principle to America hating "rogue nations" (and sadly, many mainstream Americans hating Islam out of ignorance) it is much more difficult for people like you (and at one point, me) to apply that principle to yourself contra the current American regime.

Finally, it takes more than one sentence at the end of statement to qualify for staying "on topic".

Originally posted by Silverflame
About the bomb on Japan:

Sure, I believe that using the bomb was immoral, but what other alternative was there? The Japanese would rather die than surrender. Think of Iwo Jima and the Kamikazees. If the Allies made a D-Day landing at Japan, it would result in far more casulties on both sides.

Invading Japan was impo$$ible for the US, besides the soldiers' life, the amount of money was tremendosly high.
and I wonder why they chose Hiroshima and Nagasaki, were those cities military important?
I think Japan did very well after WW2, nowadays is one of the top countries in the world with high quality products as same as germany.
Is less tha 60 turns (years)

I started a whole thread with pictures of the AI hitting me with nukes it's right here
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29983

I thought this was unusual because I have never heard of the AI striking the human player with nukes when the AI was not provoked, if you check my info box you will see that I was one turn away from nukes and the AI still hit me,

and as far as my israeli comment, maybe you should take a course in recent history, one not invented by the zionists of america. the whole state of israel is resting on occupied territory. even after the so called legitimization of the state of israel by the un, they continued to expand their borders more and more by making it near impossible for displaced palestinians to live on the land their family has lived on for centuries. this was accomplished with one land reclamation act or another, in effect it was a legalization of stealing land from arabs. they provoked the '67 war, just as they are provoking the next war, and in the end they will have wished they would have sued for a just and viable peace, because, even as the jewish texts reveal, god will always liberate the oppressed, they only have to become deserving of it.

Could we please keep this CIV III related. Even if real CIVs are being used, it is possible to talk about historical events WITHOUT political or racial declarations and especially religious statements:cool:

Thanks in advance.

etjet4eagle,

and as far as my israeli comment, maybe you should take a course in recent history, one not invented by the zionists of america. the whole state of israel is resting on occupied territory. even after the so called legitimization of the state of israel by the un, they continued to expand their borders more and more by making it near impossible for displaced palestinians to live on the land their family has lived on for centuries. this was accomplished with one land reclamation act or another, in effect it was a legalization of stealing land from arabs. they provoked the '67 war, just as they are provoking the next war, and in the end they will have wished they would have sued for a just and viable peace, because, even as the jewish texts reveal, god will always liberate the oppressed, they only have to become deserving of it.

occupied territory??? sure Isreal is occopied territory, before it was Isreal is was Palistine, and before it was palestine it was Isreal again, you talk about American zionist, well they are only giving back to Isreal what is rightfully theirs to beging with,
are you Arab???

Originally posted by Praetorian

Could we please keep this CIV III related. Even if real CIVs are being used, it is possible to talk about historical events WITHOUT political or racial declarations and especially religious statements:cool:

Thanks in advance.

Moderator Action: You all heard the man.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Originally posted by Zcylen

Invading Japan was impo$$ible for the US, besides the soldiers' life, the amount of money was tremendosly high.
and I wonder why they chose Hiroshima and Nagasaki, were those cities military important?
I think Japan did very well after WW2, nowadays is one of the top countries in the world with high quality products as same as germany.
Is less tha 60 turns (years)

They chose Hiroshima and Nagaski because they were the second and third largest cities in Japan. I think they did only those two cities, not only because they only had two bombs left, but because it was saying, "Hey, we bombed your second and third largest cities: surrender before your first does"

Good choice in bombing those two cities.

Hb dragon:

Please use the thread which Sultan has graciously provided for discussing the A-Bomb and Japan.

I will only respond to your previous coments by saying that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not chosen due to their size (and they were medium sized cities not close to their largest) but because they included important military infrastructure. Nagasaki for one contained the Headquarters for the Army which would have opposed the invasion of the southern most island (Kyushu IIRC)

Originally posted by sabo10

occupied territory??? sure Isreal is occopied territory, before it was Isreal is was Palistine, and before it was palestine it was Isreal again, you talk about American zionist, well they are only giving back to Isreal what is rightfully theirs to beging with,
are you Arab???

What exactly you call rightfully???
I you say that, then US has to return to the apaches what was theirs, Spain has to return what was from the catalunians,
and above anyone England, they are all over the world with colonies, you think they'll return what is rightfully of the original owners?
of course not.

-- DELETED --

and this IS somewhat related to the topic of nuclear weapons. because if the zionist state ever feels itself decisively threatened, on their way out they will light off all those nukes they have. they already said they would. they, not the arabs, are the true threat to peace in the region and ultimately to world peace.

Moderator Action: No, the topic isn't nuclear weapons, it's the AI's use of nuclear weapons.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

me4peace...i can do nothing but salute you! People (and americans in particular) cant picture their entire way of thinking being a product of a process intended by someone profiting on their stupidity. truth becomes lies, and lies become truth.
Keep up the good work, comrade (i took the liberty of calling you that... :) )

From what I've read, this is how nukes are launched:

1) First you launch, and then the AI does
2) The AI starts the dirty work
3) (my case) The AI did it after being pushed around

Is there any other scenario how nukes would be launched?

Originally posted by hbdragon88
From what I've read, this is how nukes are launched:

1) First you launch, and then the AI does
2) The AI starts the dirty work
3) (my case) The AI did it after being pushed around

Is there any other scenario how nukes would be launched?

I must admit that the AI has not struck first with nukes :jesus: . They sure have kicked my butt with them AFTER I've started a nuclear scrap :rocket:

Originally posted by sabo10

and this IS somewhat related to the topic of nuclear weapons. because if the zionist state ever feels itself decisively threatened, on their way out they will light off all those nukes they have. they already said they would. they, not the arabs, are the true threat to peace in the region and ultimately to world peace.

This this thread is about the AI's use of nukes. your speech has nothing to do with this thread.

Originally posted by Zcylen

What exactly you call rightfully???
I you say that, then US has to return to the apaches what was theirs, Spain has to return what was from the catalunians,
and above anyone England, they are all over the world with colonies, you think they'll return what is rightfully of the original owners?
of course not.

England has colonies all over the world? We have a few islands; I think you need to check out a newer atlas. We hold no territory against the will of the majority of the occupants. AFAIK. eg our government is desperate to at least have power sharing with Spain over Gibraltar but the inhabitants are fighting this to the last.

Like all most economically powerful countries we are exploiting interests all over the world; but that is different and more insidious than colonisation.
By the way it was not an English Empire it was a British Empire.

Oops off topic.

The AI have nuked me in a war they started and I was conducting conventionally does that count as unprovoked.

Oops; one sentence at the end of a post does not make it on topic!

Originally posted by Corkmaster

The AI have nuked me in a war they started and I was conducting conventionally does that count as unprovoked.

This would depend if they were winning or losing:lol:. I have yet to encounter a first strike ( nuclear ) on the part of the AI.

Did you have nukes in a threatening position?

Top Bottom