Everything Python and SDK related

TheLopez

Deity
I am starting this thread to provide a place to discuss the different Python and SDK needs for the WH mod.

From my discussion with Ploep it is my understanding that we need to identify which existing components need to be included, for the ones that need to be included what WH customizations are needed and identify what new code is needed.

reserved reserved reserved reserved

Ok I think I can spam now:D

These are components that'll be nice:

For the next patch:
mercsmod updated
Greatgeneral Amped

After that comes the long read of my suggestions(first I have to say I don't know anything about python or the SDK so be patient with me):

starting again with the mercmod:

I'd like only specific units available namely what's called the dogs of war in WH-World: Who are they? you can read here(units we don't have art for we can use placeholders for):
http://uk.games-workshop.com/dogsofwar/
This could even affect the civs differently:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/dogsofwar/including/1/

So what would have to be done is create a separate list of units für the different civs which units they can hire from another(elves won't hire orcs i.e- except Darkelves of course)

The GreatGeneralsmod(amped):
should of course not produce Names like Adolf Hitler instead it might be combinated with the renamermod to pruduce Fantasylikenames(eventually even possible with different styles for the civs again?)
Example names are found here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3862323&postcount=175

I definitly like the pirates and the water animals mod! I don't think they would be changed much(maybe just some unitstats for balancing). The pirates mod could be combined with the unique babarians(Yes that's what norse are unfamous for- raiding the coasts!)

A civspecific Immegrationmod!(Elves won't emigrate to orcs and vice versa, but dwarfs to Humans is possible i.e., goblins to chaosdwarfs - searching for better fortune than starving - or vice versa - fleeing slavery - is perfect)

The Mad nukes I absolutly fell in love with! I think it would be easy to modify it to a kind of armageddon spell;)

The random unit names would be nice also. I didn't test that yet but like the idea.

the sniper mod could maybe also be useful converted to spell casting.

The Great doctor mod could be interesting for civs who have a flavor for healing art(obviously not undead but again elves for sure)

Ok I think this is enough work for the first day in our forum, Lopez:p

What do you think about it?

I think Lord Olleus will start that thread as soon his pc is working again. He's been working on spells along with psycholgy scripts. Which aren't implemented in the mod yet. You two should coordinate about that. Maybe you can help each other with all this.

Ploeperpengel said:
I think Lord Olleus will start that thread as soon his pc is working again. He's been working on spells along with psycholgy scripts. Which aren't implemented in the mod yet. You two should coordinate about that. Maybe you can help each other with all this.

Well I'll let him lead since:
Lord Olleus-Leadprogrammer, Python, Xml

Right, I have started another thread which will, hopefully, become a list of everything that needs to be done. By having that on its own, it should make it easier for us to organise things. This thread should simply be for solving problems which come up when we try to actualy program it. Did that make sence?

This is how I think spells should work
  • 3 new SDK missions are made:

castRangeSpell()
    castSummoningSpell()
    castSelfSpell()

• A wizard can carry spell books who have a UNITCOMBAT_ respective of the list above.

• If a wizard is carrying a book, then the he is able to use the respective mission.

• The specifics of the spells are not in the SDK, but in python. The new missions are simply used as call points for casting spells and as a way of sending data to the python (spell book name, CyUnit, CyPlot, ect...). castRangeSpell() should let the player select a square in much the same way as it does for bombers.

One possible problem is what happens when a wizard carries 2 books of the same UNICOMBAT_. Can the same mission appear twice on the user interface?

I am writing as I am thinking so forgive me if this makes no sence at all.

PS: How do you do nested lists in this forum?

Yes it does. Sorry just thought you didn't see this thread before you posted I think I'm just a litlle too enthusiastic cause of the the new wonderful conditions we have here. I just wright while I think either. And not having slept yet adds to the chaotic outcome. Don't worry I will hold back myself in the future if it involves python and SDK you two are here to fight with the coding and organize to your needs. I just will post ideas refering to design as anyone can and should do here.

Btw: I think someone should give a brief tutorial here how to use the forum efficiently(polls, spoilers and anything else that might be useful cause I still can't figure that out and especially the unitdesign will be unreadable without spoilers I fear)

Sorry about my absense all day, well most of my afternoon. Anyways, I wanted to throw this one in the mix. Would you guys be interested in show casing my next mod comp: Dynasty Mod?

It adds the regicide victory option, two mods of it: Single leader elimination and dynastic elimination (you need to kill off all of the members of the family instead of just the one leader). Which brings up another new feature leader/nobility points. They are kinda like great person points except for after a threshold you get a new leader/noble that you can marry off to increase relations, if the second regicide mode is active then one of the spawned nobles/leaders would take over if the main leader is killed off, etc.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Ploep, I'll answer your questions more in depth tomorrow morning. I need to get some food right now and some sleep.

Sounds like a good idea. Not sure if it really fits in with the warhammer world though. Orcs do not have an organised dynasty.

I was hoping for regicide options too, yes we need something like that cause I want to make Units that represent the Leaders(they should be the most interesting units since we would'nt have to care much about the polycount) but as Olleus said it would be better fitting just with one Leader for WH:)

Edit:
Your techconquestmod would be cool too->chances for the warmongers like orcs to get some advance too

TheLopez said:
Sorry about my absense all day, well most of my afternoon. Anyways, I wanted to throw this one in the mix. Would you guys be interested in show casing my next mod comp: Dynasty Mod?

It adds the regicide victory option, two mods of it: Single leader elimination and dynastic elimination (you need to kill off all of the members of the family instead of just the one leader). Which brings up another new feature leader/nobility points. They are kinda like great person points except for after a threshold you get a new leader/noble that you can marry off to increase relations, if the second regicide mode is active then one of the spawned nobles/leaders would take over if the main leader is killed off, etc.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Ploep, I'll answer your questions more in depth tomorrow morning. I need to get some food right now and some sleep.

I´m really not sure about that, because I think Leaders are very strong units and I would like to have them to be build during the game, not being available from the start (but maybe something like in the Sengoku scenario for civ3 would also be good for leaders - relatively weak start, but getting very powerfull over the time - maybe with those "boosting techs" like heavy armour etc. JP thought about).

But I can definitely see some good scenarios coming from the dynasty mod for Warhammer.

Lord Olleus, when you've got the basic C++ for the spells done and the base python, send me what you have. I'm not as good as you or TheLopez (Actually I'm not even near you guys) but I can do pretty simple things and might be able to take some load of you guys.

When I play to do is to create a new python call in CvEventManager.py called onSpellCast(). It will look a bit like this:

Code:
    onSpellCast():
        szSpellName = argsList[0] #Name of the spell cast
        pUnit = argsList[1] #Unit which cast the spell
        pPlayer = argsList[2] #Player who cast the spell
        pPlot = argsList[3] #Plot on which pUnit is

So you can just start coding the individual spells, although it might be hard as you can not test them yet.

Lord Olleus said:
When I play to do is to create a new python call in CvEventManager.py called onSpellCast(). It will look a bit like this:

Code:
    onSpellCast():
        szSpellName = argsList[0] #Name of the spell cast
        pUnit = argsList[1] #Unit which cast the spell
        pPlayer = argsList[2] #Player who cast the spell
        pPlot = argsList[3] #Plot on which pUnit is

So you can just start coding the individual spells, although it might be hard as you can not test them yet.

Lord Olleus,

A couple of things, in the arg list you might also want to either include the targetted unit or plot of the spell.

You might want to create a second spell event called onBeforeSpellCast allowing for units with higher initiative (yes, that is D&D speak...) to react to the spell casting. Personally I think it will provide more flexability down the road, but then of course this is just opinion.

Top Bottom