Exodites Modmod

TheSpine

Chieftain
Since yesterday evening I have been frantically attempting to mod in a race from the warhammer 40k universe I am calling the Exodites. I am basing them off early, planet-bound eldar from the 40k universe. Unfortunately I have run into a few problems.

1) Adding Traits:
I have now tried about 4 times to create a new civ-wide trait for the Exodites. I have done this by copying and pasting the xml formats for other civ-wide traits and adapting them to what I want them to be. Unfortunately, this not only doesn't work, but it derails the entirity of the other traits. I have since deleted my additions and it has returned to normal but I am still far from my goal. Also, when loading the game it came up with around 100+ error messages. :mad:

2) Adding Units:
Specifically my hero, whom I planned to be Eldanesh from eldar mythology. I added him in the same way as the traits (copy and adapt) and encountered the same problems. :mad: I have not tried to add any other units.

3) Adding Leaders:
Same method, even worse result: my game now ceases to respond whenever I select the exodites from the play now menu. :mad:
EDIT: I have now fixed this but made no progress on the rest.

I also recognise that all of this points to a flaw in my method, but the same metod worked perfectly when adding an Exodite Palace and when creating the Exodite civ template in the first place. :confused::confused::confused:

Could someone please help, I know a personal mod is not a high priority but this is my first modding attempt and I really need some advice.

Is it possible that there was something wrong with the tag?

I often encounter xml error when copy-pasting from another xml entry because I forgot to include some tag (the most often error is, I forgot to include the end tag; </TraitInfo>, or </UnitInfo>). OR, I duplicate the tag (two </TraitInfo>...).

You can track what is wrong with your xml by looking at the first xml error pop-up and look at the entry/xml file referred in the pop up. Try to create a screen shot of the error and post it here if you still have questions.

Also, don't forget to refer the ART_DEF to something valid when you create new buildings/units/leaders... If you refer the ART_DEF to something invalid (the ART_DEF entry is not created yet), the game will crash.

Its possible... But I doubt i'd have made such a mistake o many times. Thanks for the advice though, just about to try again.

Also, I have no idea where I can find/edit/make world spells. This would be really useful. Sorry that I need so much but, like I said, I've never done anything like this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tholal, I'll try the spells soon, once I've finally sorted the units and promotions, i.e. the
100+ error messages shown tom me when i open the game. Now I'm starting to get somewhere.
This coding cannot remain unmodded: Resistance is futile.
:assimilate:

New problem, well, old problem in a new form.

"Tag: UNITCLASS_ULTHANESH is incorrect"
I have looked at this file and cannot uncover what could be wrong.

A world spell is determined by <bGlobal>1</bGlobal> tag. Otherwise, it is a normal, regular spell.

Have you created UNITCLASS_ULTHANESH in CIV4UnitClassInfos.xml? Each unit has a unitclass and unit type. If you create a new unit, you must define it in the CIV4UnitClassInfos.xml.

This is useful to create UUs, for example:
Spoiler :
UNITCLASS_CHAMPION
UNIT_CHAMPION

UNITCLASS_CHAMPION
UNIT_VAMPIRE

Both Champion and Vampire share the same UnitClass.

Thanks! That's so useful!
BTW, Ulthanesh is meant to be my civ's hero.
I'm so sorry that I have to bombard you guys with Q's, but I have yet another:
In my 'Play Now' screen, it shows for my civ trait 'TXT_KEY_PHEONICICIAN'
I know exactly what the TXT_KEY bit represents, but at no point can I find Pheonician, spelt incorrectly as above. I have searched in PromotionInfos, CivilizationInfos, and TraitInfos.
Any ideas?

A TXT_KEY on trait should be regulated in CIV4TraitInfos.xml. The content of this TXT_KEY is somewhere inside a Text file.

Well, if you want to create a new hero, you should create new entry in CIV4UnitClassInfos.xml and set <iMaxGlobalInstance>1</iMaxGlobalInstance> (look at the tag for proper Tag>. Then set it as a UU in CIV4UnitInfos.xml.

Also, I've been looking at your unit reskins, and would be honoured if you could do my hero, Ulthanesh. Thematically he is an extremely powerful wandering wizard, but because of his travels also is proficient in weaponry. I don't know what you would reskin but i'm sure anything you do will look amazing. Pleeeaaaassseee?????

Top Bottom