Expanding Civ3: a Theov Mod

I have been playing a somewhat modified version of your original mod. Newton's University is not showing up to be built.

I have been playing a somewhat modified version of your original mod. Newton's University is not showing up to be built.
Thanks!
Newts was moved to Physics bc I removed Theory of Gravity... it doesnt show up?
Hm.
I have since also found that Austria couldn't build spearmen.
And a consistent spelling error where I thought "sarcificial" was spelled "sacraficial". :)

Have you downloaded the newest of Dec?

I am still playing on the original mod, and I must admit that it has some unusual and challenging things happening. I have set starting locations for a total of 6 civilizations: the Netherlands (I am of Dutch background as well), England, Scandinavia, Spain, America, and the Byzantines. All are set as Seafaring, along with other traits, and all of the locations are on the coast, with helpful resources nearby. So far, I have found the Mongols located near my starting position in all but one game. In one case, the AI converted a Barbarian Camp into the Mongol starting position. I will have to see if that happens more times. There are also some other quirks. I am playing on a custom map, 320 X 240, and have the game set to only seven opponents to keep the game moving along.

I have made some other changes to units as well, cutting down on the number of civilizations with Elephant units. I had a try at playing Austria on the original map, and discovered that the built list was getting out of control with all of the possible units.

I am still playing on the original mod, and I must admit that it has some unusual and challenging things happening. I have set starting locations for a total of 6 civilizations: the Netherlands (I am of Dutch background as well), England, Scandinavia, Spain, America, and the Byzantines. All are set as Seafaring, along with other traits, and all of the locations are on the coast, with helpful resources nearby. So far, I have found the Mongols located near my starting position in all but one game. In one case, the AI converted a Barbarian Camp into the Mongol starting position. I will have to see if that happens more times. There are also some other quirks. I am playing on a custom map, 320 X 240, and have the game set to only seven opponents to keep the game moving along.

I have made some other changes to units as well, cutting down on the number of civilizations with Elephant units. I had a try at playing Austria on the original map, and discovered that the built list was getting out of control with all of the possible units.
Thanks for playing and for the feedback.
The first part I dont really understand.
Camps turn into Mongolians? How does that happen? Did they pop a Tribe/settler unit?
Rolling Mongolians is just bad luck, i didnt change anything about civs coming up more than the other.

Elephants are available to anyone with the Strategic Resource of Elephants/Ivory.
They are like horse units, but more emphasis on defense instead of offense and mobility.

Yes, I agree that the amount of buildable units becomes a lot later in the game.

I am currently looking into that, because I noticed the same thing. Warriors and archers should not be available by the time better units are available.

Maybe it's bc the new units often need iron.

Like I said, I am now reviewing the upgrade paths.
Suggestions?

Last edited:
Thanks for playing and for the feedback.
The first part I dont really understand.
Camps turn into Mongolians? How does that happen? Did they pop a Tribe/settler unit?
Rolling Mongolians is just bad luck, i didnt change anything about civs coming up more than the other.

I may have been mistaken about that, as there is a starting location quite close to the Barbarian Camp.
Elephants are available to anyone with the Strategic Resource of Elephants/Ivory.
They are like horse units, but more emphasis on defense instead of offense and mobility.

Yes, I agree that the amount of buildable units becomes a lot later in the game.

I am currently looking into that, because I noticed the same thing. Warriors and archers should not be available by the time better units are available.

Maybe it's bc the new units often need iron.

I have not noticed any problems with upgrades except for the Netherlands, and that may be a quirk in the build sequence.
Like I said, I am now reviewing the upgrade paths.
Suggestions?
Austria did not have the Spearman checked for them, so that is fixed. I do like the new unit graphics, especially the Tribe. I am now using that unit instead of the Settler for the civilizations that I plan on playing. That does give them a bit of an advantage when it comes to movement. What I may do is either post a biq here or send one to you. Remember, this is not the most updated version. I am having fun with it. I do like the Barbarian Units as well. They look properly Barbarian.

I may have been mistaken about that, as there is a starting location quite close to the Barbarian Camp.
Then it was probably a Mongolian Barbarian. Mongolians can build the two Barbarian units.
I have not noticed any problems with upgrades except for the Netherlands, and that may be a quirk in the build sequence.
What happened to the Dutch upgrade path?
I have now changed Warriors to upgrade to Siege Archers (no iron), who can become Swordsmen (if you get iron).
This means you can always upgrade your Warriors.

Austria did not have the Spearman checked for them, so that is fixed. I do like the new unit graphics, especially the Tribe. I am now using that unit instead of the Settler for the civilizations that I plan on playing. That does give them a bit of an advantage when it comes to movement. What I may do is either post a biq here or send one to you. Remember, this is not the most updated version. I am having fun with it. I do like the Barbarian Units as well. They look properly Barbarian.
Yeah the Tribe lets you not waste turns founding your first city.
Yeah, I also think Barbarians should look properly barbarian, thats why I chose these. They were made by Tom2050.

I will post the newest files later.
Maybe this weekend, I have finals to work on and I am changing the tech tree artwork.

Last edited:
I have the mod set to No Tech Trading, except for governments. When you combine that with no map trading until Scientific Method, when you come into contact with one of the AI civilization, you basically have nothing to talk about in the early game.

I have the mod set to No Tech Trading, except for governments. When you combine that with no map trading until Scientific Method, when you come into contact with one of the AI civilization, you basically have nothing to talk about in the early game.
This reminds me, I will turn on map trading somewhere really late game.
Tech trading is a big part. It should be turned on, but not from the start.

Update soon.

Newton's University is still not showing up. I switched it from Physics to Magnetism, with no success.

Newton's University is still not showing up. I switched it from Physics to Magnetism, with no success.
I recently played a game and it showed up... did you chop trees? Then Wonders don't show up - just like normal games.
It should really show up with Physics...

16FEB2023 update completed and uploaded (see OP)

Last edited:
I did not chop any trees. I did run a check using the Byzantines set as a Scientific civ, starting with the Industrial Era, and it showed up and could be built with no problem. In the game with the problem, I was playing the Austrians. I am not sure if that would make a difference, but I will run another test.

Edit Note: I have downloaded the update and will look at it. I do like the mod, but I have been tweaking it to my own specifications, mainly adapting it to run better on 300+ by 300+ archipelago maps. I like maps with lots of water.

Edit Note 2: I have switched Newton's University back to Physics, and will try that again. By the way, I really like the Ocean Liner, and I have set that to take only Foot Units, not vehicles. They will go on the regular Transport, which does look like a vehicle landing craft.

I have downloaded the update, and will work on that as well. I just need to set it so that I can play either one.

Last edited:
I did not chop any trees. I did run a check using the Byzantines set as a Scientific civ, starting with the Industrial Era, and it showed up and could be built with no problem. In the game with the problem, I was playing the Austrians. I am not sure if that would make a difference, but I will run another test.

Edit Note: I have downloaded the update and will look at it. I do like the mod, but I have been tweaking it to my own specifications, mainly adapting it to run better on 300+ by 300+ archipelago maps. I like maps with lots of water.

Edit Note 2: I have switched Newton's University back to Physics, and will try that again. By the way, I really like the Ocean Liner, and I have set that to take only Foot Units, not vehicles. They will go on the regular Transport, which does look like a vehicle landing craft.

I have downloaded the update, and will work on that as well. I just need to set it so that I can play either one.
Thanks for your feedback.
Having the Ocean Liner transport only foot units makes a lot of sense.Thanks.

In my recent game I could build Newts, so I really dont know what happened.
Hadn't you already built it? :goodjob:

One thing I have changed though is that the Statue of Liberty doesn't have the "allow size 3" flag. Because that flag made it impossible for size 12 cities to build the Statue, which I didn't realize.

One thing I have changed though is that the Statue of Liberty doesn't have the "allow size 3" flag. Because that flag made it impossible for size 12 cities to build the Statue, which I didn't realize.
That explains what is happening with a couple of the other Wonders, where I have set them to "allow size 3".

I am looking at replacing Are's Barbarian Camps with yours, as yours are a lot easier to distinguish from Goody Huts. I included Carthage in my personal playing mix, and love the Elephant Units.

Vuldacon has been gracious enough to add some additional resources to Pounder's Resource Pack, so I am looking at redoing the Natural Resource list to add some more Strategic Resources, and move more of the bonus resources out of the first 32 of the list. Once I have that done, I will send you the modified files for resources and a .biq file.

That explains what is happening with a couple of the other Wonders, where I have set them to "allow size 3".

I am looking at replacing Are's Barbarian Camps with yours, as yours are a lot easier to distinguish from Goody Huts. I included Carthage in my personal playing mix, and love the Elephant Units.

Vuldacon has been gracious enough to add some additional resources to Pounder's Resource Pack, so I am looking at redoing the Natural Resource list to add some more Strategic Resources, and move more of the bonus resources out of the first 32 of the list. Once I have that done, I will send you the modified files for resources and a .biq file.
I want to add resources, but I dont want it to go wonky.
So I need to research how to best go about it.

Hi. I have downloaded the files, and it looks very promising.
However, there seems to a problem with a file, because when I open the scenario I get the attached screen
And when I start playing (after guessing what the settings are supposed to be for), it seems that all text has been shifted or something.

Did anybody experience a similar situation? And does anyone have tips about it?

Attachments

• opening screen.png
    opening screen.png
    722.1 KB · Views: 40
Are you using the Steam (multiplayer-capable) version of C3C?

If so, then this is almost certainly the "Steam labels.txt" incompatibility problem, rather than an issue with the mod itself. With the Steam-version, a mod made for the single-player version needs to use a modified labels.txt file to display all the text correctly.

Check the TheovMod's ../Text folder.

I can't remember if @Theov included a "Steam_labels.txt" file (it might not have that exact name, but something similar) -- but if he did, then all you need to do is rename the current (incompatible) labels.txt to e.g. "labels OLD.txt", and then rename the Steam_labels.txt file to simply "labels.txt".

If there is no Steam_labels.txt file, then you'll need to edit the mod's labels.txt file yourself. Open it in any text editor, scroll down until you find the lines "PING" and "Host", and insert the new line "Unknown" in between them, like this:

PING
Unknown
Host

Save your change and exit. Next time you start the mod, everything should work properly.

Last edited:
Are you using the Steam (multiplayer-capable) version of C3C?

If so, then this is almost certainly the "Steam labels.txt" incompatibility problem, rather than an issue with the mod itself. With the Steam-version, a mod made for the single-player version needs to use a modified labels.txt file to display all the text correctly.

Check the TheovMod's ../Text folder.

I can't remember if @Theov included a "Steam_labels.txt" file (it might not have that exact name, but something similar) -- but if he did, then all you need to do is rename the current (incompatible) labels.txt to e.g. "labels OLD.txt", and then rename the Steam_labels.txt file to simply "labels.txt". Then everything should work.

If there is no Steam_labels.txt file, then you'll need to edit the mod's labels.txt file yourself. Open it in any text editor, scroll down until you find the lines "PING" and "Host", and insert the new line "Unknown" in between them, like this:

PING
Unknown
Host

Save your change and exit. Next time you start the mod, everything should work properly.
Wow!

I edited the labels.txt file like you said and it worked. Less than 1 minute work.
Thanks for the super fast answer!!!!

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

Just FYI, if you run into this problem with the button labels etc. in any other (single-player) mod you've downloaded, the same solution should work there as well.

Top Bottom