Experience Cap?

somabrandmayona

Chieftain
I've been trying to level up my warriors but after being promoted twice the game seems to put a cap on the amount of XP I can earn. I thought that upgrading them to swordsmen would do the trick but I still earn no XP when fighting barbarians. What gives? Is it just me or am I missing something crucial that I never noticed before? Anyone else having this problem and how can it be fixed?

Thanks!

There is an experience cap, but it only applies to combat with Barbarians. If you enter combat with a City State or one of your neighboring major Civs, then they will gain experience from those battles.

Yeah, I often declare war on a city-state if I want to play an otherwise peaceful game. You can easily get some elite units and great generals for golden ages.

each unit gets max 2 promotions from fighting barbs, then move on to real units. it was changed during one of the first if not first patch.

Somabrandmayona, if it really bothers you, there is a simple fix! You could create a mod, but I just wanted it in all of my games, so just changed the core files. If you do this, you should BACK UP the file I will show you how to change. :)

1. Go to the following directory in your computer:
C:\Program Files\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\Gameplay\XML
*Note that "C:" could be any number of drive names-- whichever it is on your machine.

2. In there will be a file called "GlobalDefines.xml", and this is the file you want. Right click it and choose to open in Notepad (NOT Wordpad!).

3. It might look scary, but don't panic! First things first-- choose File->Save As, and back this file up in a place you'll know to look (such as My Documents).

4. Now to the single edit: press CTRL+F, which brings up the Find dialogue. Search for the following: BARBARIAN_MAX_XP_VALUE
Below this line in the code is a <Value> tag-- simply change the 30 to whatever number you deem to be reasonable. :) 60 would be three promotions, 100 would be four, 150 would be five, etc.

5. Once you've changed the 30 value to whatever number you wanted, save the file and you're finished!

Happy xp farming! :D

There are mods to raise the XP cap. Can't remember what they're called tho. :?

Anyhow, my units never get beyond 1 level above what they normally would even with a level 6 cap because barbs are so hard to come by.

There are mods to raise the XP cap. Can't remember what they're called tho. :?

Anyhow, my units never get beyond 1 level above what they normally would even with a level 6 cap because barbs are so hard to come by.

That really depends on your game. If you play a huge marathon game with raging barbarians on and only 2 AI players, you will get plenty barbarians...

Top Bottom